clutch clicks - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 06:40 AM
Lifetime Premium

I'd be looking at the needle bearing, and the bushing and thrust washer behind the clutch basket.
This bearing only come into play when the engine is running and the clutch is disengaged. When the bike is moving normally in gear, and the clutch lever is released, there is no movement of this bearing, and no noise from it.

Ron in Cincinnati

Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
.........Bob Seger

Last edited by pacomutt; 11-07-2012 at 07:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 08:45 AM
Top Contributor

I think that the poster assumed it was a clutch problem because of the noise coming and going with the engage/release of the clutch, but the clutch is not the actual problem. When the belt is under load, the pulley is quiet, but under coast, the pulley is free to slap back and forth on the output shaft thus making the noise.
Tightening the pulley nut does no good as the nut only stops the pulley from falling off. It does not tighten the pulley on the output shaft.

Simply removing the front pulley would confirm or rule out this problem.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 08:52 AM

Anyone who can hear bearings rolling in an oil bath should be working for SETI.

Just saw a 900 Custom late last week getting a new output shaft and pulley so the OP certainly doesn't have the first or only. This was the second time for this bike but they chose to only replace the pulley the first time and it ran quite a while.

PM although the needle bearing behind the clutch is plausible I wonder. Has anyone really witnessed this before? Sure makes me wonder?
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 08:56 AM
Lifetime Premium

OP, can you produce that noise under all these conditions together?:

engine warm
stopped with rear brake applied
in gear with clutch pulled in
engine running at idle or above

Ron in Cincinnati

.........Bob Seger
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 09:46 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Syko View Post
Just saw a 900 Custom late last week getting a new output shaft and pulley so the OP certainly doesn't have the first or only. This was the second time for this bike but they chose to only replace the pulley the first time and it ran quite a while.
Unless Kawasaki has come out with a tech bulletin on this problem saying otherwise, I would be applying this compound on every repair:

http://www.mapro.skf.com/products/lub_lgaf3.htm
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 10:02 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfair View Post
Unless Kawasaki has come out with a tech bulletin on this problem saying otherwise, I would be applying this compound on every repair:

http://www.mapro.skf.com/products/lub_lgaf3.htm
Absolutely!
In the pic, it looks like they were picturing what it looked like if not applied to the outer race of that bearing. But that would be a bore that was machined or worn too loose to support a bearing.

Ron in Cincinnati

.........Bob Seger
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 10:07 AM
Lifetime Premium

Since it is for moving parts like jack screws, do you think it's much different from Never Seize?

Ron in Cincinnati

.........Bob Seger
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 10:21 AM
Top Contributor

That compound is to prevent metal fretting, such as what seems to be happening between the pulley and the output shaft. There have been reports of what appears to be rust and corrosion , with subsequent wear, between these two parts when taken apart. That is a sign of metal fretting.
The splines must fit tightly without being an interference fit.
If there is ANY movement between pulley and shaft, possibly combined with a belt that is too tight, and you have a formula for fretting to occur.
It is not for components that are moving, it is for compnents that fit together and experience movement with each other almost on a microscopic scale.

I am not sure if it is similar to anti-seize... probably moly grease with a high percentage of moly might be a substitute, but application of the correct compound can never go wrong.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 10:29 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfair View Post
That compound is to prevent metal fretting, such as what seems to be happening between the pulley and the output shaft. There have been reports of what appears to be rust and corrosion , with subsequent wear, between these two parts when taken apart. That is a sign of metal fretting.
The splines must fit tightly without being an interference fit.
If there is ANY movement between pulley and shaft, possibly combined with a belt that is too tight, and you have a formula for fretting to occur.
It is not for components that are moving, it is for compnents that fit together and experience movement with each other almost on a microscopic scale.

I am not sure if it is similar to anti-seize... probably moly grease with a high percentage of moly might be a substitute, but application of the correct compound can never go wrong.
Probably a good annual winter maintenance project for us with belt drives!

Ron in Cincinnati

.........Bob Seger
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 10:52 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacomutt View Post
Probably a good annual winter maintenance project for us with belt drives!
I just cannot see a downside to that idea.
The alternative is a teardown, which is never fun or entertaining.

If you have ever had occasion to change the ball bearings on a mechanical contraption and you find a lot of orange/red rust on the shaft and bearing, that may be an example of fretting between the shaft and the bearing race. Next thing that happens is shaft/bearing housing, and bearing race erode, now one or both are loose and you spin the bearing in the housing, or the bearing is almost impossible to remove. Of course, a seized bearing can do the same thing, but that is a different topic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode