tyre pressures - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
tyre pressures

Any comments on the following please :-
I am slightly confused about tyre pressures for VN900 Classic -Kawasaki handbook states 28psi front 32psi rear but Dunlop recommend 32psi front and 36psi rear.
also my rear tyre inner valve is so far in that it will not activate my digital tyre pressure gauge.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 08:19 AM
I always run what the tire manufacturer recommends. The bike lists what is best for comfort the tire manucturer recommends what is best for tire grip, performance and life.

08' 900 Classic solar indy yellow

Last edited by Ol'Yella; 07-03-2012 at 08:32 AM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 04:32 PM
Top Contributor
I seem to remember trying several different combos and sticking with 36/40 front/rear most of the time. The website shows a max for the D404s of 41 PSI.

I changed them at 5500 miles. They might have had a little life left in them but not much.

2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer
2008 Yamaha XT250
2005 Honda CRF70F
War Eagle
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 07:12 PM
go with the tire manufacturer recommendations,not the manual. If you go with the manual pressures,you will have alot shorter life out of the tire as I believe they state this for a softer ride. I have ran dunlops,Bridgestone trying different pressures and currently Pirelli MT66 Route front and rear with 40psi in rear and 36 psi in front and have a little over 14,000 miles on the set. I can push the rear to 15,000 but the front will go beyond that. All depends on how you ride,what kinda roads you ride on and what your looking for out of the tire...a softer,stickier tire or a high mileage tire.Whatever tire manufacturer you decide on ,go with their recommended pressures imo.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 09:11 AM
It's a preference and what works for you. I personally adhere to the manual specs. I have with my Dunlops and now my Pirelli's. I haven't changed my style of riding. I got 25,000 kM's (15,500 miles) on my Dunlops. I'm still riding my Pirelli's MT66 and currently have 31,000 km's (19,200 miles). Still going on the Pirelli's. Of course, weather conditions and a multiple other factors can affect a tire tread wear, but I've kept so far to the manual specs (28 PSI front / 32 PSI rear with rider). I've read many different posts about tire longevity. Tire presure is just one element of what's goes into longevity.There is such diversity, like big time, amongst tire life between riders. It's all subjective...

Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode