Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Gas mileage

29K views 150 replies 62 participants last post by  mikesr1963 
#1 ·
Just a little info on gas mileage. I rode 400km only in 5th gear for a very short time, mostly around town riding and filled up, took 15 litres. I'm in Canada so that works out to 75 mpg. For anyone on standard measurement 1 km equals .625 miles. 1 standard gallon equals 4.54 litres. American 3.78 litres per gallon. I'm very happy with the gas mileage of the 900.

#7 ·
62.8 US mpg = 75.36 Imperial mpg. This is very good fuel mileage. My 900 recently returned 62 Imperial mpg ( 51.6 US mpg) two up and I thought that was good.

Brian

#3 ·
I like the MPG of my 900 also, but wouldn't get too excited until I did a 3 tank average due to the variances one might experience in how much gas you put in the tank in a fill up. I've gotten 60+ MPG in one tank, followed by 40 MPG in the next, followed by 50 MPG on the next. All without changing anything in how I ride.

#4 ·
60+ MPG!!! how steep was the hill you that were going down?

#6 ·
on a recent day trip 55-60 incicated so 50-55 on the back roads I got 60.7mpg since then two-uping with the wife the last two weekends and one up to work averaged 51mpg over the last two tanks. I couldn't have gotten that good mpg before i tweaked some things.

#8 ·
For Jace, I live in a very hilly region which means lots of uphill and downhill riding. In Canada we do the imperial conversion for gas mileage. I bought my 900 new in 2009 and this is very much normal gas mileage for the past 3 summers. My son rides an old Yamaha 1100 inline 4 and would love to get half the gas mileage of my 900.

#9 ·
fuel mileage

Puttering along the BRP I get about 60 mpg. Normal riding below 75 mph about 57 mpg. Interstate speed limits plus 5 I drop to 53 mpg on long runs. The Harley guys I ride with get about the same and they have twice the cc almost, and a lot more weight........

#10 ·
My 900 gets 58 mpg (US gal) with very little variation everytime I fill up. I ride it back and forth to work everyday. That's going 65mph down the interstate with decently little stop and go.

The only thing I've done that's helped my gas mileage is put the cafe windshield on it. Although that did make a decent change. I was getting around 51 with no windshield.

#11 ·
Never fails that right around 199 miles, my light comes on.

I figure it is similar mileage that most of you are seeing so I'm not complaining.

I love this large tank and overall range. Last bike had a 3.7 gal size.

I figure if we average anywhere from 50 up, we should be tickled to death.

#13 ·
Assuming you're starting with a full tank, running out (or only having a spoonful left) 210 is 42 MPG.

I've found that commuting KILLS my mileage. I'm getting around 42 when I commute, but get around 55 when I'm highway or freeway cruising. I have no idea why my mileage suffers so bad when commuting. Only about half the distance is city and that is pretty free flowing.

#14 ·
I have never in my times of keeping track exceeded 50. I do know that I usually get better mileage with my wife on back. I think that the passenger backrest must create drag and with my wife there it must be more streamlined.

#16 ·
You mean your throttle hand knows when the Mrs. is on the back you take it a little more gentle. I know I do I start off slower and and start slowing for a stop sooner to make a more comfy ride for her. I think mines the opposite I get a touch worse two up. But together were pushing 365 or so. And of course she can't go anywhere without having the saddle bags stuffed with things she might need.

#17 ·
Generally I get 50mpg. Last tank was 52. Mostly combination highway / town. Rarely 2-up.

#18 ·
48 mpg on last tank...

On my last tank of gas, 200 miles and 4.15 gal for ~48 mpg. This was my 900 custom with a MS batwing and 90% highway commuting at (indicated) 70-75 mph over "gently rolling" terrain.

My dad's 900LT just brought him ~47 mpg over the course of a 900 mile weekend trip. His lowest mileage was ~43 mpg for one tank of gas that was 100% highway, plus getting caught in a little traffic. His best was in the low 50's for gentle cruising on secondary roads.

I used to get ~35mpg on an old, stock, air-cooled '85 FJ1100 and my current EX500 gets consistently 58-60 mpg over the same commuting route as I've been riding the 900 custom.

They're all better than my car (30 mpg) though :D

#19 ·
I've averaged 44mpg since buying the bike, which drops to 43mpg on the interstate. Big nerd here keeps track of it. The only spikes I've had are when riding in the mountains where I get into the low 50s. My first tank out of storage this year was 40mpg but it's gotten back to normal since then.

#20 ·
Is that all considering that if your speedo is off your odometer is as well? I'm curious about that. If it's 10% off then isn't 200 miles indicated now 180? Or would it be 220? Dunno, like I said, just curious.

#21 ·
I know my odo is off slightly so I did a long ride and bounced the trip odo against a GPS. I made a spreadsheet to track my mileage and when I plug in the trip odo reading it automatically applies the correction factor. It's not anywhere near 10% but I'm borderline OCD on some things.

Excuse me while I eat some paste...

#22 ·
I average right at about 50, but I get into the 60's on the highway.

Motorcycles are about as aerodynamic as a sideways brick. Speed kills the fuel mileage. Doing 80 on the highway is going to use tremendously more fuel than doing 65, because each extra ounce of speed is more force keeping that sideways brick barreling through the wind!

I find I get my best fuel mileage on state highways with limited stops, riding easy, with few hills. In other words, similar to riding 55 on the interstate. I've gotten into the mid 60's that way!

According to fuelly, which I have been using for a few weeks now, over the last 1,100 miles I have averaged 48.4 mpg, alot of that being two up, that's with a tall windshield, and I ain't exactly 'light', so I cannot complain!

Fuelly also keeps track of the price-per-gallon each time I fill up, and over the last thousand miles I've averaged about $0.07 per mile in gasoline, not too shabby looking that direction either!

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/romansfiveeight/vulcan-900-classic-lt

-John

#24 ·
Being that I never know how much gas I have in this machine (even with the gas gauge fix- never worked right) On the high way today I ran out of gas...ya know that boging feeling?
So steady I went to get off the hi-way (rather run out on a rural road- less embarrassing) So on this desolate road with no other plan, other than-get the wife to my resue, I ran out... stalled!
So I peek in the tank to see what I know is only my fault
So's I figure there's at least maybe six or seven table spoons full in thar
So I lean the machine to the left...that's right! The left, I figured the pump and all that mess are on that side of the machine. So I pray @ 5:30am that six or seven table spoons will start this thing and get me going to a gas station bout five miles away
Whata ya know?
I got there! And can say today, "I get about...six or seven table spoons per five or six miles. Not to mention, I coulda kept goin to test theory

#26 ·
Ha! Great story, AM. Table spoons per mile is important stuff!

#25 ·
Vn900lt mpg

I've got 56,000 km (about 35,000 miles) on her and she's been quite consistent at 65 mpg Cnd (about 54 MPG US). I've added many accessories through the years and I'm sure I've bumped up the weight considerably. However, even two up she gets pretty much the same thing.

The time I get less is usually riding consistently over 100km/hr (60 mph). Even then I'd drop between 4-8 digits.

I mostly enjoy riding 80 - 90 km/hr (50m - 55 mph)

#30 ·
My mileage can vary based on where I get gas. If I get gas at Murphy's or whatever the Walmart place is called, my mileage plummets. Same with my car. And same goes with any high ethanol blend fuel. If I stay away from theses places mileage goes up.

Now that being said, I average anywhere from 48 to 58 depending on conditions, riding etc, but I am usually always around 50 ish. I see 40's when I cruise 80 on an interstate or highway.

#31 ·
I am curious as to how some people are getting 60+mpg on their 900's. I could see a difference between the customs, classics, and classic lt's due to stock accessories. I would figure the windshield on the classic lt would do the most damage to mpg.

I know that under normal 2 lane mostly flat roads sticking to 55 or lower, I can get around 210 miles out of around 4-4.3 gallons. This was my previous commute (previous 13K miles). Now that I live in an area were the flow of traffic likes to be 70+mph, my range has dropped to around 180 miles per 4-4.3 gallons. Its a stock classic lt.

According to Kawies website the 900 should get an estimated average of 45mpg (marketing).

I have been concidering trading in my 900 for a 1700 Voyager ABS. But the advertised drop from 45mpg for the 900 to a estimated 36mpg for the voyager has made me rethink the tradin. With a 45 mile ride into work (90 roundtrip), the extra fuel can add up if the prices start spiking again. Both are better than my 15mpg Durango tho.

#32 · (Edited)
The Interstate Highway here runs 80 mph but I get around 52-54 mpg running this speed (on my 900 Custom) on it. I drive about 70 miles each way to meet with other riders and then we take small 2 lane roads up into the North Georgia mountains. Even on days like today these roads are much cooler and curvy. Have any of you ever heard of "The Dragons Tail"? This is just north of Atlanta on the top of the Blue Ridge Mountains and every motorcycle in the southeast has made the trip to this place (well would you believe almost every motorcycle, how about a bunch of bikes have been there). Dranzaz, this is my best averages (mph) but they are consistent. If I run any faster they drop. I had a 800 Classic before this bike and it was always a little worse on the mpg.

#33 ·
Dranz,

It's all about speed and terrain. Flat roads, doing 60~65 mph, one-up with a lighter rider (bonus points for no windshield) and you'll see 60. Two hefty folks running 90 with a windshield and a parachute behind them? Probably not :p

Speed is the biggest killer. Each mile-per-hour drastically increases the drag on your motorcycle, which means extra work for the engine, and although I know little about physics, as I understand it, in order for an engine to do more work, it must burn more fuel!

If driving 65 on the highway will send you into a fit of tears, or you live in an urban area where that can be suicidal, I've been places where they will just flat run you OVER doing 65, but out here, it's the best way to enjoy the highway! The speed demons see you a mile away and get over to the left lane long before they are up on you, and you just kick back and ride and enjoy not getting gas as often! (Or spending as much!)

-John

-John

#34 ·
Romans, here in Atlanta if you ride on the Interstates you are dead meat if you run under 70 mph. As for weight, I am 185 lbs but the lil lady is about 115 lbs so the weight is not my big enemy. Wanting to buy another windshield though and this will hurt the millage but help me! My last bike was a 800 Classic with windshield, bags and the rest, this Custom is nice but it needs windshield for winter and rain driving, already got the bags for the long rode.

#35 · (Edited)
I have to politely disagree that a windshield is really going to hurt mpg. It seems to me u are actually a bit more aerodynamic with a shield. Think of how the wind acts. If you are riding w/o one it is hitting your body and an irregular shape. and pretty much 90* to the ground. With a windshield a smooth curved surface usually tilted back to a degree will get threw the wind better. my personal best is 60.7 with windshield and bags doing 50-55 taking it easy on the backroads long stretches of 2 lane blacktop. Over the last few tanks I have been low to mid 50"s but 150 or so miles on each of the last three tanks were two up 60-65mph. I've gone 212 and 205 miles on the last two tanks and believe I put in 4.2 and 4.1 gallons. low fuel light has been coming on solid right about 200. I couldn't get 38mpg for the first 500 miles I road this thing. So far I am at 182 miles on this tank 158 of which was two up and the light isn't on yet and not down to the red on the guage.

#36 ·
It depends on the shield. Mainly what angle it's at and how tall and wide it is. The Kawasaki cafe shield I put on my custom improved gas mileage a good bit. But a larger windshield would probably hurt it. Most of the bigger ones that actually shield you completely don't have a lot of slant.

It all depends if the shield has more drag than you do or not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.