Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Clacking knocking tapping at hot start

3K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  Fordiesel69 
#1 ·
Hello all...just purchased a 2009 Vulcan 900 with 9000 miles. I didn't notice this on the test drive but when starting the bike after it's warmed up it makes some clacking noises for a minute or two and then quiets down again. There is no loss of power or any other issues but this noise has me a little concerned. Again, it only happens at hot startup and goes away pretty quickly. At cold startup, it's completely smooth and silent.

#6 ·
That noise is normal on all 3 of the Vulcan 900s I have owned. Oil from the head drains out when hot. It will take a few moments to built it all back up. As long as you are using an oil that is good for flat tappets, you should be golden. These engines will last a VERY long time.

Here are the oils that will work:
5w-40 - Diesel
10w-40 - Motorcycle
15w-40 - Diesel

Other weights may not be optimal. Do not use straight weight, or car oil. Often dealers can run sales on OEM branded oils. So it is possible to run Honda, Suzuki oils in your kaw if the price is right.

Reactions: JoeVulcano
#7 ·
Cool thanks mr forddeisel69. It's good to know someone else has experienced this. I drained the Lucas and replaced with fresh valvoline conventional 10w-40 motorcycle oil.

sfair...I will post a video soon. Thanks for all the comments.

#11 ·
As Sfair said, audio of the sound will help. But I think I get this on my '09 900Classic, 6K mi. There's some top end noise for a few seconds on a hot start when the bike has sat for a few minutes. That's every indication that oil is making its way back up to the top end and nothing to worry about.

#21 ·
Update...so I have taken the bike to at least 2 different service shops . One was the dealer I bought it from. They took a listen and didn't hear anything "alarming" but said it could need a valve adjustment . They also added that a valve adjustment isn't due until the 26k mile mark. They quoted $300.
The other dealer immediately said it needed a valve adjustment because all of "these bikes" need an adjustment after break in and apparently mine never got that. He also added that I can drive it indefinitely without the adjustment without causing any harm the the engine. He quoted $700.
At this point I dont know who or what to believe. I think I'm just gonna ride it and ignore the noises. Anyone have any input?

#23 ·
U He also added that I can drive it indefinitely without the adjustment without causing any harm the the engine. t?
This dealer does not know what he is talking about.

15000 miles is the normal, BUT what if yours was not correct from new?
If you are getting an abnormal noise, the noise has to be checked and valve clearances would be one of the checks, 15000 miles or not.

#24 ·
If the valve gap gets LOOSE, then yes you can continue to drive it with no damage. But you will loose performance, and fuel economy. If the clearance is too TIGHT then the valves could warp or burn, so they do need checked.

$700 sounds like highway robbery. I could get a top end engine rebuild locally for that. $125-300 is the prices I got locally for a valve adj. $125 for models that use adjustment systems, up to $300 for models that use adjustment shims.

Reactions: JoeVulcano
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.