Vulcan 900custom 2007 Overheating ! - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 08:47 AM
Senior Member
 
tcrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SE Florida
Posts: 194
Okay, got it done!! It was easier than I thought...Didn't need to run the bike to get the air out. Just pour slowly and tap the hoses in the process just like the manual says and started after it was all put together. Never got the temperature light to come on and the fan started after some time. It's been a week now and no problems. Probably won't wait so long for the next change, considering this is the first at 48K miles....
What surprised me was the little drain plug and washer.. Not sure if it will resist several changes along the life of the bike.
Next will be changing forks fluid..but that's another thread....
Be safe and thanks again for all your help..

TCRIDER
08' CLASSIC 900
tcrider is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 03:35 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrider View Post
Okay, got it done!! It was easier than I thought...Didn't need to run the bike to get the air out. Just pour slowly and tap the hoses in the process just like the manual says and started after it was all put together. Never got the temperature light to come on and the fan started after some time. It's been a week now and no problems. Probably won't wait so long for the next change, considering this is the first at 48K miles....
What surprised me was the little drain plug and washer.. Not sure if it will resist several changes along the life of the bike.
Next will be changing forks fluid..but that's another thread....
Be safe and thanks again for all your help..
So what was the culprit exactly? From your initial posts, I would think it was a faulty thermostat but I am sensing it might have been the air stuck in the coolant system?
TurcoLoco is offline  
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator
 
Romans5.8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 7,064
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
So what was the culprit exactly? From your initial posts, I would think it was a faulty thermostat but I am sensing it might have been the air stuck in the coolant system?
Sounds like air in the system. Air bubble not allowing coolant to flow.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Romans5.8 is online now  
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 04:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
Sounds like air in the system. Air bubble not allowing coolant to flow.
Yeah, that is what I thought. Odd though, I never thought a water bubble in the water line could/would stop the flow like a faulty thermostat.

Speaking of thermostat, I have looked around a bit and the best price on a thermostat for this bike is like $30! I don't ever recall paying more than $15 for a freaking thermostat. Good grief!
TurcoLoco is offline  
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator
 
Romans5.8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 7,064
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Yeah, that is what I thought. Odd though, I never thought a water bubble in the water line could/would stop the flow like a faulty thermostat.

Speaking of thermostat, I have looked around a bit and the best price on a thermostat for this bike is like $30! I don't ever recall paying more than $15 for a freaking thermostat. Good grief!
It was $60 for the last one in my car. It's a whole 'unit' in the car, not just a little puck like the old ones. Hoses clamp directly to it and it bolts to the motor. Obviously the only part faulty was probably a little puck deep inside but... the days of serviceable vehicles are drawing to a close! It's the American way after all. "It's gonna cost $800 to fix the car, so, I'm just gonna save my money and buy a new $20,000 car instead".

These cooling systems are much smaller than an automobile system. An air bubble can get trapped and not allow it to flow. In a car, air escapes through the overflow tank. On our bikes, the overflow tank is at the bottom of the cooling system so that doesn't happen, it has to escape through the radiator cap as part of servicing!

I had a Mercury Cougar once, supercharged. There was a small bolt that had to be opened to expel air when replacing coolant. Lots of guys didn't know that and would have cooling system issues after flushing coolant. But, in fact, on that car, you had to open this little bolt and let it idle for a minute. On later models Ford put a plastic cap on the bolt and labeled it "remove before adding coolant".

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Romans5.8 is online now  
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 11:50 AM
Senior Member
 
tcrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SE Florida
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
So what was the culprit exactly? From your initial posts, I would think it was a faulty thermostat but I am sensing it might have been the air stuck in the coolant system?
Nope, you must be reading somebody else. I just needed to change the coolant just for service and was a little worried about the process and posted results of my experience. But nothing wrong with my system, it took 48 k miles to do first change with out problems....

TCRIDER
08' CLASSIC 900
tcrider is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome