09 Vulcan 900 Custom SE Bogging under acceleration - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom SE
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black
09 Vulcan 900 Custom SE Bogging under acceleration

Hi everyone, I am pretty new here and hoping you guys and gals can help me with some troubleshooting.

My bike is a 2009 Vulcan 900 Custom SE with just over 12k miles. Here is some background on my current issue. Late last week I rode to work. On the way to work the bike ran fine, no issues what so ever. At the end of the day I started the bike and let it warm up and everything was business as usual. The bike ran fine until about halfway through the trip home. I was cruising along at about 65 mph and slowed down slightly to go over a large dip in the road. Upon accelerating I got about 1/4 way into the throttle and the bike started making a noise I cannot describe well and seemed like it had no power. I downshifted, the problem persisted. I kept on the throttle while it made what I can best describe as a BOP BOP BOP BOP BOP sound, not backfiring but very sluggish and not wanting to accelerate. The rest of the ride home it was difficult to get the bike moving from a stop, I would have to let the clutch out very slowly and give it a very small amount of throttle to even get moving. I experienced the same sluggish feeling, sound, and loss of power the rest of the way home.

To address the issue I called a local shop to get their input. The mechanic told me that it sounds like I had water in my fuel. It did rain while I was at work the day I rode, which is the only thing that changed between the ride there and the ride home. Since speaking to him I siphoned some fuel out of the tank into a mason jar to check for water. There was no definite line of water and fuel but I did notice several tiny shiny bubble setting to the bottom of the jar. The day it happened I added Sea Foam to the tank. After speaking to the mechanic I added a bottle of ISO Heet to the tank in hopes of absorbing the water. I went for a ride the day after adding ISO Heet and the bike did slightly better, but still not back to normal. Today, I said screw it and drained the tank and filled it with premium fuel and Sea Foam. The bike ran much better today, however the sluggishness and BOP BOP BOP BOP sound is still occurring intermittently. With the most frequent occurance of the issue being during accelerating from a dead stop and if I am in a gear that is too high for the driving condition. If I give the bike more than 1/4 throttle now it will act appropriately the majority of the time, however the issue persists. I have also installed a new air filter.

Any info or suggestions you folks can send my way is greatly appreciated. I am no mechanic, but I like to give things a try on my own before dropping a ton of cash at the dealership. Thanks for reading my giant wall of text!

2009 Vulcan 900 Custom SE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 08:25 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2010 NOMAD
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Black/titanium
Garage
Had similar problem on my 9,Ran couple tanks of ethanol free w seafoam,put fresh oem filter in, did clear up,not sure this is related,maybe others will chime
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Fresh air or fuel filter?

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 08:43 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoLongstroker View Post
Fresh air or fuel filter?
Air ,not sure where the fuel filter is,Had bunch of oil in it,was filthy
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Mine was pretty awful also. I have been looking into how to change the fuel filter by from what I can tell it is part of the pump and can not be changed without replacing the pump.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 09:06 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Wouldn't take it to dealer just yet,lots of help here
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 07:15 AM Thread Starter

I'm holding out on taking it to the dealer hoping to some ideas.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 10:01 AM
Top Contributor

Have the valves been checked?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfair View Post
Have the valves been checked?
They have not. I have never checked valves before, is it an easy task or something best left for a mechanic?

2009 Vulcan 900 Custom SE
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoLongstroker View Post
They have not. I have never checked valves before, is it an easy task or something best left for a mechanic?
Great video on Youtube on how to do it, whats involved, etc. It doesn't look hard, just a lot of steps. Need the tools and shims of course. I bought the whole set of shims on Amazon for $60-70. Probably doing the math on the shims is the hardest part. And chances are you wont have to replace any.

2016 Vulcan 900 LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode