Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

09 vulcan 900 bogging over 1/4 throttle

22K views 41 replies 14 participants last post by  paynedoug1975 
#1 ·
i have a 2009 vulcan 900 custom that has right at 9000 miles. It just recently developed a problem of bogging down with anything more than 1/4 throttle it will bog down and i might as well pull in the clutch and let it idle. If I start it up in the morning and let it come down off fast idle and take off it will be fine for about 10 minutes then start acting up. if I stop to get gas or whatever then come back out it will be fine for another 5 minutes then act up. Also the longer I ride it the worse it gets. It will do this in every gear and even in the driveway sitting in neutral. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. To add to the post I have previously replaced the stator (since it was no longer charging and killed the battery), I had vance and hines slash cut exhaust on it but put the stock pipes back on to see if the problem went away which it didnt. I have a video of it showing what its doing but Im having problems uploaded on here. It says mov format is not allowed. Anyways I hope you guys can help.

#5 ·
Check your battery terminals for tightness again. I highly doubt that's the problem but we will start with the easy stuff. Also make sure any connections you made when replacing the stator are tight and locked in. Look at the back of the plugs to see if some how a pin didn't push out of the connector. How long did the bike sit with gas in it, was any stabilizer used during this period?

#6 ·
While I've had the bike it hasn't sat for longer than a week. Battery terminals are tight as I've already triple checked them. I rechecked the voltage readings on the stator plug to the voltage regulator as well as checking for short to ground. Everything is good there. I have checked fuel pressure probably about a month ago. It was right at 300kpa at idle and also on first key on. I couldn't get it to act up while checking fuel pressure. Also when I checked the filter I didn't completely remove it from the bike I just took the black cover off and took a peak. I will remove the entire thing tomorrow to make sure it's not clogged up.

#7 ·
I'm not too familiar with the bike, is the filter and in line filter or is it on the fuel pump pick up tube? If it's in line, just pop it off, flip it around, cycle the key to pump some gas through it the wrong way. Then install it the right way and try again.

Hopefully it's an easy fix so you don't have to stare at your bike everyday like I do.. Lol

#18 ·
Yes I just did the fuel pump flow test tonight. Had 40ml with the pump running for 3 seconds. Then I hooked up a fuel pressure tester inline so I could still start it and get it to act up. With key on it was 300kpa. With it running the gauge was bouncing from about 200kpa to 300kpa. While revving the engine (without it bogging) it was steady at 225kpa. With it at full throttle and bogging down it drops to 50kpa. I also checked the voltage to the pump. Key on it has 13v while running it had 13.5v. While bogging down it still had 13.5v

#23 ·
Well I finally got the new pump in and with all the rain that's been in my area recently I had a good amount of time a I pulled the tank off and removed the factory pump and cound definitely tell why I was having and issue. New pump is in and running like a champ. Now on to more upgrades :)

#24 ·
Did you use an OEM pump assembly?
If not, where did you get it?

#25 ·
I did not. I got the one from fuel pump factory. It was roughly $50 with free shipping. I ordered it on a Friday and got it on Monday. Install was pretty easy. I removed the tank and then plugged the vent line and flipped the tank upside down. Took the 5 bolts out and removed the pump assembly. Then there are two Phillips screws. Then the pump will pull up off of the brackets. From there just pay attention to where the wires plug into and where they are routed.

#31 ·
Just wanted others to know who find this, that I ordered a fuel pump rebuild kit from quantum fuel systems and it actually solved the problem. No more cutting out at 1/4 or 1/2 throttle whatever it was where it would bog down and die. It runs like new now, so glad I found this thread and went through thr trouble to take the pump out myself and do the rebuild for only $75

#32 ·
I said this once previously, but I'm glad to see that Quatum finally got the Vulcan 900 fuel pump specs corrected. The previous issue was the fuel pressure regulator was not alwys a 44psi regulator, which is required for the VN900. It appears that now they include this specific regulator with the Vulcan 900 pump, and I'm glad they corrected this oversight.,

#33 ·
I had same problem on 07 900. Cleaned and sealed nasty tank, rebuilt fuel pump and replaced filter. Problem better but quickly came back. What I discovered was that there is a strainer inside the fuel pump housing which is not accessible. Filled with gunk and restricting fuel flow. Replaced with new factory pump, problem solved.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.