Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

First ride of 2017 and first ride on my Vulcan

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Maineiac1967 
#1 ·
Getting the bike from the shop today, its 52 degrees and sunny! I will be riding it home the 12 miles!!!!! This will be my first official ride of the year and first one on this bike. It went down the block and back once but that doesn't count IMHO. If the gaskets and caps are in I will swap out the old exhaust for the new ones after she gets a bath, it went through 2 rain storms on the trailer and its filthy.

It had the recal work done, new main tank fuel line and a new ECM put in. Also had a new Bridgestone tire put on front to match the new one on the back installed by the prior owner. Will report on any difference I might feel with the new ECM but I doubt it will be any change at all. I am so ready to ride this thing!!!! I will be cautious as I am new to the bike and the new tires need to be properly broken in. ATGATT, got it all in the car. Friend will drive it back for me while I ride my new baby.

Report to follow later tonight

#2 ·
Why the new ECM? I do not recall hearing about any issues with them.

#3 ·
The recall affected 2006 to 2007 iirc and the problem was faulty connections that could short and cause a serious problem at speed. Any talk of a potential to gave "loss of control" as it stated in the wording makes me take serious note lol

#5 ·
I ran all 3 of my vin numbers and none show as having an ECM recall. Your making me nervous...

#7 ·
Update and ride report:

I was happy as hell with the operation of the bike. It was as smooth as it could be. I also took her up to 85 MPH on a dry clean stretch of newer pavement and it didnt flinch. No vibration, no buzz. The only thing I noticed is the headlight is vibrating on the rubber mounts, may need to tighten it down? Sorta like a poor mans flicker bulb so I may just say heck with it but my OCD is killing me!

It was sooooo dirty when I drove it home. I gave it a bath and took these photos after addding about 45 miles to the odo. :)

Attachments

#11 ·
It definitely looks good. Classic with custom bars.

#12 ·
Thanks for the compliment and also for verifying what I thought about the bars. They are super comfortable where they are so I am greatful to the prior owner for that change. I have been noticing other little things like chrome caliper covers on the rear and a few other extras. The more I look, the more I like!!

#13 · (Edited)
Sharp looking bike, I am also digging the custom bars on the classic. Its kinda hard to tell, but it looks like it has quick release mounts for saddlebags as well. And after looking a little more, I am also noticing the second set of foot pegs mounted on the frame, makes for a clean option over highway bars with pegs on them.

#14 · (Edited)
Indeed the second set of upper foot pegs is a nice option on the road.

You a re correct, the bike came with Saddleman bags with EZ brackets. Those are the studs you use to mount them, and they have a key lock to secure them to the bike. I hit them with leather restore and clean and they look brand new. Pricing them online the whole package was over $300, so I was pleased they cleaned up so well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.