Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Tire Clearance in the rear question.

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  whiting57 
#1 · (Edited)
So I want to put tires on the bike.

The stock rear size is 180/70-R15

I see people here sometimes put on a different tire
170/80-R15
From what I read here, that is for two reasons.
1. To help with the speedometer calibration correction.
2. Lower RPMs makes it more comfortable and less noisy at freeway speeds.

I am looking at the Michelin Commander II and I do see that the 170/80 is about 40 dollars cheaper.

My question is this:
Is there any downside to this change?
Is there a clearance issue on that inner fender metal piece when the bike is loaded?
Handling?
Braking?
Other?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
you should have no issues .... I run a 200 / 70 / on my Classic LT and have a hidden hitch inside the fender ... the only time you have to alter anything is on a 230 rear, you have to trim the inside fender splash guard and the belt cover.

#3 ·
I put 170/80 15 Michelin C ll on my custom and was like night and day difference in handling. The tire is taller than the 180/70 and looks just as wide if not wider. Bought my Michelin at local Cycle Gear, paid a little more but they mount and balance for $25 and rebalance for free but you have to bring the rim. $50 was going rate just swap it out at other place I checked and even more if they R&R from bike. Cost was like $5 more than ordering on line and finding someone to mount it and I used local store. You can't go wrong with the Michelin.

#5 ·
I'm riding the Metzeler 170/80-15 in the rear without problems. I've heard it said that some believe this is actually the tire the bike was designed to run but for marketing hype ("widest in it's class" blah blah) they went with 180.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.