Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Memphis fats

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Bluecruiser 
#1 ·
i have got my memphis fats 21" windshield but annoyingly i am getting alot of buffeting on the top of my helmet and a whole load of wind from under the tank which is even worse than not having the shield, will lowers fix that or am i just too tall for using a windshield..

#2 ·
HI SP

If you are seeing over the shield and its about at your chin or above its probably about right for most folks. Also, yes many report adding lowers really makes the difference. Search the site for windshields and/ or lowers and you will find a bunch of posts.
Hope this helps out.

WEG

#4 ·
HI Supa

I believe most folks prefer looking over the shield but I know many that look through. As for wind coming up around the tank, I have the same problem with my shields (I have both a short and tall shield). Wearing a full face or modular helmet may also help out. im old and a ATGATT rider. I also wear earplugs which really help out. I just bought the Memphis Shades lowers but haven't installed them yet. I'll post my opinion of them after a few rides. It's higher speeds (above 55-60) that are my problem with the wind noise, but that's all I seem to do here in FL through the back roads. I don't seem to have a buffeting problem with my modular helmets.
Hope this helps a bit.

WEG

#5 ·
I am 6'3" with the 21" Mem. Fats. I see just over it. There's some buffeting but it's not bad. I don't get dead air until I slump until looking 2 or 3" below the top of the shield.

It has a tilt adjustment. Tilt it back to reduce turbulence... where it is parallel with the forks.

Lowers help if that doesn't cut it.

I love my Fats. Heck, I love everything about the V900! :dance:

#7 ·
No pictures are needed. With the windshield mounted, loosen the 4 hex head button bolts that attach it enough to adjust them, then slide the bottom bolts forward in the channels in the mounting bracket to increase tilt, back to reduce tilt. Snug the bolts back up.

Full back tilt gives a smoother air flow for me. Viewed from the side, the shield is parallel with the line of the fork tubes. :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.