Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Looking for saddlebag system

4K views 16 replies 16 participants last post by  DeputyLoud 
#1 ·
I'm looking to add saddle bags to my 09 classic.

I don't want hardbags. I don't want throw over bags.

What bags and mounts do you have on your classic?

#4 · (Edited)
Hi jv

I have an 09 1700 Classic and I put LeatherLyke saddlebags on. They are quick release with no bracket hanging off the bike. I find them a good size for the bike with plenty of room. Waterproof, lockable (need key to open and close) and they had two styles for my bike. Good close fit to fenders. Not cheap but I'm happy with the quality. Good pics on website.

WEG

#6 ·
I really like my Viking bags and how they look, especially for the price. They were easy to install by myself and seem to hold up in time and weather. My negatives are the velcro can be a bit difficult to deal with and doesn't make opening the bags very smooth. The flip side is that the bags stay closed nicely at highway speeds even when unlocked. Also, my laptop does not fit into it easily so I have to attach my bag to the pillion seat or ride with my backpack on which I really dislike. Wish I got bigger bags. If you do get the Viking bags, as others have noted in the forum, get a better tensile bolt. I also got ones that were a bit shorter so they don't show at all.

But overall, they make long rides or rides far from home a real pleasure as rain gear, snacks, spare helmet screen, and other stuff is easily stored and I have a place to put sweaters as the weather warms up, or over pants when I go into restaurants. Yeah, it is all about the right accessories.

Reactions: jventers
#7 ·
i have saddleman bags with the easy brackets - no complaints here.

the bags are leather (maybe fake, dont know for sure), and semi rigid. tey have a standard buckle, but you can add a lock to them.

i really like the easy brackets - took me about an hour to install b/c i was cramped in the garage due to rain. bags remove easily if I want to ride naked, or if making an overnight stay, I can just pop them off and carry them in with me.

they sell a system that holds both bags and gives you a handle - its a little pricey for me, so I'm looking at making my own

#8 ·
I have Viking Bags on my bike and Saddleman Bags on my wife's bike, and they are both excellent. Semi-rigid, hers have quick release, which is great, mine have locks on them.

I ended up swapping out some of the stock mounting hardware, but the stuff it comes with will work fine. Don't forget locktite on the bolts though.

#9 · (Edited)
regardless of what bags you choose, the best brackets that offer a 3 point attachment is the stock Kawasaki LT brackets ... they are not the cheapest, but they do not bounce around under load ..... easy brackets .... no thanks for long distance touring or heavy over loaded bags.

#11 ·
I have a fake-leather Viking lockable bags

Saddlebags are nice, but not roomy enough (at least for me).
Pros:
- hardware included
- price
- fair quality
- locks won't let you to take out the key in unlocked position (won't let you to forget to lock your bags)
Cons:
- universal hardware requires some fitment adjustments and/or optional screws

So I had to add a Mutazu top case, which fits my full face helmet, gloves, overpants, etc.
Couple times I used saddlebags to carry my camping gear for long ride (gas canister, foldable stove, wind curtain, set of aluminium pots, pack of tea/coffee and water). It's really nice to have a stop after a long ride on a chilly morning, make a fresh coffee to get warm.
90% of all rides I'm not using saddlebags since I can fit everything into top case.

Attachments

#12 ·
+1 on using the OEM brackets; they really do work very well. I mounted some aftermarket hard bags onto mine (I had the LT, so it came with semi-rigid bags that had a 'leather look'), and they were solid.

#15 · (Edited)
I had a really bad experience with Viking Bags. To start, everything about their bags is cheap and flimsy. A six year old can open a locked bag. The stitching on the lid started coming apart within weeks. The plastic bead along the stitching started fraying after the first ride. They advertise their bags as though designed for your specific bike. Don't believe it. And to top it off, Viking's warranty is a joke. Before you buy from them, check the Better Business Bureau. I wish I had.

#17 ·
I got 4 years into my Viking bags and the one is just now starting to pop some threads on the lid. Granted that is probably my own fault for overstuffing them. Between the wife and I we haul around everything but the kitchen sink.

And I sold my oem brackets with the original bags on my LT when I got the Vikings. Regretted it the minute they left my hands. But it did help me get a better price for the oem bags. Got my eye on some new bags for this season. Just need the funds. But the priority right now is stator/reg, and new apes, hoses, cables. etc... Then storage. Peace!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.