New Barons rear pulley installed .. alignment issues, defective or install? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

New Barons rear pulley installed .. alignment issues, defective or install?

Hi everyone,

Back in August last year, we purchased a new 62 tooth Barons Rear Pulley for our 2011 Vulcan 900 custom (via Phat performance) and had it shipped to Australia & installed by a local reputable motorcycle shop over the new years holiday break.

On receiving the bike back, we have seemingly unresolvable issues with belt noise & inconsistent belt tension. After investigation, we have been told that our pulley itself seems to be out, 40 thou' on the horizontal plane (video: being measured, & video on trolley jack, slightly visible pulley wobble here).

Anyone else seen anything like this? The bike shop states that they believe the pulley itself is out of true. Should I contact Phat (noting their 20day returns period is well over..) or Barons, due it may be a manufacturing issue?

We have returned the stock one back to the bike & all our problems have gone of course.

*sigh*

Being all the way out in Aussie land doesn't help much with exchange options either, its going to cost a huge whack to get it back to the US regardless. I suppose I'm just venting//
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 10:49 PM
Top Contributor

It appears from the description that a local machinist would not be able to sort out the problem. Perhaps contacting the seller (Phat) could be helpful as they may be able to provide a discount return shipment label which would be acceptable for use by Australian shipping by post or other means.
Synthian and Banes@ngel like this.

'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Jesus is Lord
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

I have contacted Phat & see what they think too.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 07:49 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2011 Vulcan 900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 903
Having worked for major manufacturers for most of my life I would suggest contacting Barons directly if the distributor does not provide an acceptable resolution. Direct your issue to John Vaughn- Chadley founder and CEO of Baron's. Barons warranty is one year. The warranty states that product must be returned for inspection, which would be a standard requirement for most manufactuers. However if you have video evidence of your issue you can plead your case and the high cost of shipment custom hassles etc.. You may get lucky and not have to return the defective part.

Warranties are written to deter a lot of fraudulent claims however good manufacturers want happy customers and there is always someone who can make an exception to the rule to ensure a customer with a legitimate complaint is taken care of.

WB
Banes@ngel and Hayes21 like this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 03:50 PM
Living The Dream

Garage
Been there done that. Here's what happened in my case if you want to take your mind off your issue, LOL.

This can't be good...Need some advice.

Belt Squeak - Gone!

Common issue with some folks here. Do a search to get info.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Loving My Mid-Life Crisis!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
1991 Harley Electra Glide Classic FLHTC
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 06:51 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic
Color: Silver
Garage
I did both front and rear. (Not the same time) when I had the front done I had tires install as well, yea! AlignmeMt issues big time. Took it back and they fixed it. When I did the rear pulley I had a different shop do it along with new tires. The mechanic first checked it for round. As he installed it he turned each nut a quarter turn till they were all tight. He said if you don't do that the pulley can warp. I have had no problems.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 07:32 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2008/Kawasaki/Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Color: Gold over White
Garage
Been there also with a 34 tooth front pulley. Put up with the noise for about 8,000 miles hoping it would correct itself. Tried everything, adjusted the belt tension loose, tight, and according to the manual. Used Silicon spray which helped for about 50 miles. Even tried candle wax. Ended up putting the OEM pulley back on and problem solved.
It's for sale if anyone wants one. Makes a terrible paper weight though. Oddly enough, there's no sign of wear on it at all.

Last edited by ChuckM; 02-12-2017 at 07:37 AM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 10:36 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic
Color: Flat Black
how much are you selling the pulley for? any pics?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeputyLoud View Post
Been there done that. Here's what happened in my case if you want to take your mind off your issue, LOL.

This can't be good...Need some advice.

Belt Squeak - Gone!

Common issue with some folks here. Do a search to get info.
Thanks for the information & reassurance.

After hearing back from what I assume is the manufacturer (with a super defensive reply & a direct reference to this post, wtf) I have decided to sell this rear pulley on, rather than mess about with a blame game, install issues & ego drama.

After reading, looks like the alignment can be fixed (install), but the insanely loud squeak & surprising wear(!) are more of a concern to me & may not be fixed with an alignment/shims.

I'm surprised at this as our Barons front pulley is A1. No issues at all.

I'll just put my money toward a chrome mimic 240 kit & pulley, rather than stuff about with what was going to be a stop gap anyway.

Thanks for all your input. Much appreciated guys.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 09:33 PM
BOTY Winner 2015!
BOTM Winner
July 2015

Garage
Synthian. I can comment on the barons pulley as well. I am in not trying to say their products aren't good, but the rear pulley that I bought had the same issues that most others here are commenting on. I tried over and over to adjust belt tension, alignment, ...etc and could not get the noise away. I looked at a lot of things compared to the fit and finish of the OEM Kawi pulley. The Baron's I ordered was served in aluminum, smooth. The Kawasaki pulley looked almost shot peened in comparison, offering a different texture than that of the Barons.

I ended up selling off the Barons pulley and ordered the Sumo-X Mimic pulley and wheel setup in chrome. To be honest, after doing this and prepping the rear end the best I can with this setup, there is still a little squeak here and there from the belt area. Again, I'm not dissing any of these manufacturers. Just trying to be honest with the experience that I have had with both. I have thought about getting a new OEM belt to fix this issue, but don't really wanna pay almost $400. The minimal belt noise will have to do for now. For the record: If any of you have installed a fresh belt with either of these pulleys, I would love to know the results. Post away folks!

Don't try to argue with idiots. You aren't the dumbass whisperer.

2008 Vulcan 900 Custom, a few mods...

1998 VN800A, sold.
1998 VN500, sold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode