Need Advise (Saddlebags & Windshield) - Page 16 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #151 of 161 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 07:31 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 85
Thanks Tommy for the comments. I will likely go with the extra-jumbo then. The large ones I have are holding up very well. The lid does sag just the slightest if nothing is in the bags but I leave a Nelson-Riggs full rainsuit in there at all times. You made my size decision for me, thank you.

For the sizzy bar. I like the curved portion of this pad. Just seems like it would be more comfortable and is more stylish. What I am trying to avoid is a really really tall sizzy bar. Do you find the bar to be of a good height?

Thanks.
histguy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #152 of 161 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
tommyarmour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by histguy View Post
Thanks Tommy for the comments. I will likely go with the extra-jumbo then. The large ones I have are holding up very well. The lid does sag just the slightest if nothing is in the bags but I leave a Nelson-Riggs full rainsuit in there at all times. You made my size decision for me, thank you.

For the sizzy bar. I like the curved portion of this pad. Just seems like it would be more comfortable and is more stylish. What I am trying to avoid is a really really tall sizzy bar. Do you find the bar to be of a good height?

Thanks.
My old lady says the sissy bar is really comfy. I really like the looks of it too.
Here is pic showing just how much room is left on your bike with the extra jumbo bags. With stock pipes.



This shows the true height of the sissy bar. The luggage rack really helps the seat not look too tall.


Glad I could help you decide bro.
tommyarmour is offline  
post #153 of 161 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 10:06 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 85
Last question I promise. I went to order the sizzy bar and realized that they have a short and regular sized versions. Which do you have on this bike?

Thanks.
histguy is offline  
post #154 of 161 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
tommyarmour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by histguy View Post
Last question I promise. I went to order the sizzy bar and realized that they have a short and regular sized versions. Which do you have on this bike?

Thanks.
You know I'm not sure. I don't believe I was given a option of short or regular size. If I had to guess I would be 80% sure that mine is regular size. Short sissy bars are more for look's than real comfort. My wife says the one I got on my bike is really comfortable.

Hope that helps. I will try to pull up the receipt tomorrow. Had the cold for a few days that has rendered me useless.
tommyarmour is offline  
post #155 of 161 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 01:31 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 87
Quick question Tommy, did you reinforce the back of the saddlebag before mounting with easy brackets? I just purchased Midnight Express Drifter's and want to ensure they are rigid enough to not need saddlebag supports. Any thoughts??

Thanks, I've been searching all evening trying to find some answers lol.
MissViolet is offline  
post #156 of 161 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
tommyarmour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissViolet View Post
Quick question Tommy, did you reinforce the back of the saddlebag before mounting with easy brackets? I just purchased Midnight Express Drifter's and want to ensure they are rigid enough to not need saddlebag supports. Any thoughts??

Thanks, I've been searching all evening trying to find some answers lol.
The inside of the saddlebags are pretty firm. And the easy brackets are more than enough support bolted against the inside of the saddlebags.

You will be fine without any further support's.

Happy riding.
tommyarmour is offline  
post #157 of 161 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 04:14 PM
Senior Member
 
BigTim900's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 173
Re: Need Advise (Saddlebags & Windshield)

Hard street make a real good abs bag that is in the mid price range.I recently bought these and a Memphis shades batwing.Happy with both so far.Click image for larger version

Name:	1362176074066.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	17642

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
BigTim900 is offline  
post #158 of 161 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
tommyarmour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTim900 View Post
Hard street make a real good abs bag that is in the mid price range.I recently bought these and a Memphis shades batwing.Happy with both so far.Attachment 17642

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I really like the smaller type hard saddlebags nothing too big, kinda like yours. Yours look great. I'm not fond of fairings. I don't even like using my Memphis fats windshield. But on the other hand riding without a windshield on the highway sucks.

I have a friend in cali that just got a small fairing like the ones in sons of anarchy. He really likes his. I personally don't like the look on a smaller cruiser. I consider fairings goldwing material. LOL

That's what is great about bike's, we make them our own. Happy riding.
tommyarmour is offline  
post #159 of 161 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 04:32 PM
Senior Member
 
BigTim900's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 173
Re: Need Advise (Saddlebags & Windshield)

Hardstreet has 3 different size bags.mine are actually the largest ones.They a lot bigger than the stock leather bags that came on it.Had a stock windshield also but didn't like it.at speed it made the front wheel shake.fairing doesn't.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
BigTim900 is offline  
post #160 of 161 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
tommyarmour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTim900 View Post
Hardstreet has 3 different size bags.mine are actually the largest ones.They a lot bigger than the stock leather bags that came on it.Had a stock windshield also but didn't like it.at speed it made the front wheel shake.fairing doesn't.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
If I had to do it all over again, I would definitely go with hard bags. Mine always looks out of shape unless they are stuffed full. I'll ride for 2+ years before I consider changing the ones I have. Your bags "ARE" actually much larger than I originally thought. I got the oversized extra jumbo's and mine seem small to me. We probably have close to the same storage space.
tommyarmour is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome