1Likes
  • 1 Post By Paul55

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 01:22 AM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2016 VN900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 903
Color: Pearl White/Metallic Grey
Gear & Brake lever too high

On my 900 Custom both the brake & gear levers seem to be too high. I have no trouble shifting up through the gears but to change down I need to lift my off the foot peg. It's the same with the rear brake pedal, I have to lift my foot to reach it. Can I adjust them downwards?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 09:21 PM

I took a peek under the cover of my Custom...looks to me like there is some adjustment for the shifter height in the rod linkage connecting the toe shift lever to the tranny...you see the long rod with the heim joints connecting the lever to the tranny...you'd need to loosen the locknuts on each end of the rod and turn the rod to shorten/lengthen it - which should have an effect on the shift lever height. These have particular torque settings, so don't mess with these unless you know what you are doing.

Do you have a shop manual? Do you have mechanical skills? If so, then the job should be obvious, if you take a look at how the shifter actuates the tranny.

As for the rear brake pedal height - looks like the piston plunger has some adjustment on it with a locknut and shaft...take a look at how it works,, and you should see how the rear brake pedal depresses the piston into the brake master cylinder and how the length of that piston rod is adjustable.

Do not mess around with the important mechanics (like brakes and shifters) of your bike unless you know what you are doing, and have skills, and have a manual.

E&OE.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 07:54 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Nomad ABS
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Black/White
Garage
Maybe I can add a little to Shadowo1 comments. I'm assuming you're wanting to adjust the pedals and not the levers on the handlebar.

There aren't any instructions in the shop manual to adjust the shift lever and there might be a reason for that! Here's what it looks like to me to adjust the shift pedal.

You will need to pull the floorboard off to do this. There's a c-clamp that holds the pedal assembly to a shaft coming from the engine. Loosen the bolt that holds it and pull off the shift lever, You'll then need to adjust the linkage from the pedal to the transmission to get the pedal where you want it, then reattach and tighten. Shadow01 describes this. It looks pretty simple but I've never done it. I have had the shifter off (famous stator replacement) and there wasn't any pressure on the shifter that I can recall. You may want to wait and see if someone else will chime in on this one.

The brake pedal can be adjusted and I can send you a copy of the pages from my 900 service manual. It's too large to send by this method. PM me your email address and I'll send it to you.

Go for the ride!
2014 Kawasaki 1700 Nomad ABS
2008 Kawasaki 900 Classic LT (sold 2015 42k miles)
1975 Kawasaki KZ400 (sold ~1985)
1970 Suzuki TS250 Scrambler (stolen 1971)
1968 Bridgestone 200 MKII RS (sold 1970)
Patriot Guard Rider
USN 1971-75

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

@Shadow01 , I appreciate your comments & I can assure you I do have the relevant mechanical skills.

@CarGuy , thanks for your kind offer, I've sent you a PM

To both of you, do you find the pedals set too high?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 09:46 PM
Top Contributor

The easiest remedy for me was to relocate the shifter and brake pedal on their spline shafts. Only need to loosen the bolts which secure the shifter and pedal on their shafts and reset them on their shafts.

'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Jesus is Lord
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Cruiser View Post
The easiest remedy for me was to relocate the shifter and brake pedal on their spline shafts. Only need to loosen the bolts which secure the shifter and pedal on their shafts and reset them on their shafts.
Perfect, just what I wanted to read. Thanks for that.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

A big Thank You to CarGuy for sending me the relevant pages from his service manual.
CarGuy likes this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 11:11 AM

Year/Make/Model: '09 V900 Classic
Displacement/CC's: dead stock
Color: Plasma blue
+1 on moving the lever on the spline. The brake pedal was too high on my Classic. I loosened & pulled the lever off the splined shaft and moved it down one spline. Perfect.

Getting the handlebar and the hand and foot controls set exactly right for me is the first thing I do on a bike. It makes a big difference in the comfort and ease of riding.

Right on, right on...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
+1 on moving the lever on the spline. The brake pedal was too high on my Classic. I loosened & pulled the lever off the splined shaft and moved it down one spline. Perfect.

Getting the handlebar and the hand and foot controls set exactly right for me is the first thing I do on a bike. It makes a big difference in the comfort and ease of riding.

Right on, right on...
Thanks for the +1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode