Kawasaki 16097-0008 Oil Filter Disection - Page 7 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 08:29 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfair View Post
I confess that I gave it only a cursory glance, so I cannot comment.
I am, after all, the person that uses a beer can stuffed with toilet paper for a filter...
LOL! - And I hope that your beer can/toilet paper oil filter continues to serve you and your bike well!!!

'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Jesus is Lord
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 10:11 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluecruiser View Post
As a supplier quality engineer I had to oversee testing. This involved dimensional checks to the blueprints. Checking the media for surface area. Approve test data for capacity and performance. Check all labeling and date codes. Test to failure for burst strength. test for corrosion resistance.

The blue prints have test criteria spelled out for OEM's. Aftermarket parts do not always include the performance specifications mainly because aftermarket suppliers do not have access to the manufacturers specifications. In that case they reverse engineer something that can work but does not meet the original equipment specifications. For example a manufacturer such as Champion Labs makes filters for various manufacturers to their specifications. See attachment. Companies that do not produce original equipment parts at all mainly sell in volume to your WalMarts and K-Marts.
What I meant is what tests and how were they performed to determine/judge oil filter performance?
post #63 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 10:13 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Cruiser View Post
LOL! - And I hope that your beer can/toilet paper oil filter continues to serve you and your bike well!!!
If it works for me, then it works for everyone, correct?
One can bet the farm on testimonials!

post #64 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 05:58 AM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2016 KAW VN900CGF
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black/White
I don't need a lab full of test equipment to tell me when one Name Brand filter is better engineered than an OEM filter and uses internal components that take more time/money/effort to assemble versus an OEM filter. I can tell by eye, and so can you.

Nothing wrong with OEM filters made in Taiwan/Japan/China/Mexico. But, If I have the opportunity to purchase a filter made in the USA that is equal to or better than the OEM filter, (as examined by me, or as shown by the dissections and specs of others, and manufacturers data), at the same or lower cost as an OEM filter, I'll pick the aftermarket filter made in the USA.

If I can obtain the USA made aftermarket filter at the same place I am every week shopping for groceries and thereby avoid a 26 mile special trip to the motorcycle dealer to purchase an OEM filter, then I'll buy the USA made aftermarket filter at the same time I am buying my caviar and brie cheese.

Last edited by Du-Rron; 01-11-2017 at 06:02 AM.
post #65 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 06:29 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: '05
Displacement/CC's: 800
Garage
enter your zip code and see if you can get a wix nearby
WIX Filters - Where to Buy

Thunder Mfg teardrop 40's K&N 170MJ 48PJ 2.75turns DynoJet Needle DNO106 2nd notch V&H Cruzers Aeromach risers Michelin Commander IIs Shell Rotella 5w40 Wix 51358 17T/40 Sprockets
post #66 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 07:35 AM

Year/Make/Model: 1995 Kawasaki Vulcan 500
Color: Black / grey
This once again seems like any talk of politics, religion, or oil.
You, for whatever reason, have a liking to a certain product and you will stick with this product no matter what.
WHY, why, why do you feel the need to try and get everyone to move over to you side of the issue???
This is America and we ALL have a right to our own opinion, whether you think its right or wrong.
So lets NOT post about oil types, oil filters, global warming, red or blue, ect...PLEASE.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1995 en500 stock with windshield - 25,000 miles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #67 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 08:55 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: '05
Displacement/CC's: 800
Garage
you don't like this oil filter discussion?

Thunder Mfg teardrop 40's K&N 170MJ 48PJ 2.75turns DynoJet Needle DNO106 2nd notch V&H Cruzers Aeromach risers Michelin Commander IIs Shell Rotella 5w40 Wix 51358 17T/40 Sprockets
post #68 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 03:09 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcandoc View Post
This once again seems like any talk of politics, religion, or oil.
You, for whatever reason, have a liking to a certain product and you will stick with this product no matter what.
WHY, why, why do you feel the need to try and get everyone to move over to you side of the issue???
This is America and we ALL have a right to our own opinion, whether you think its right or wrong.
So lets NOT post about oil types, oil filters, global warming, red or blue, ect...PLEASE.
. . . .And people can choose to ignore forum threads which they don't like as well, and allow people who wish to discuss motorcycle issues which they wish to discuss openly, which is what this and other user forums are all about. Don't like the discussion? Suggest moving on to something else.

'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Jesus is Lord
post #69 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 10:37 PM

Year/Make/Model: 09/Vulcan900/Custom SE
Wink

I'm just gonna throw this link in here, ok?

scroll at the end and check "Failures by product line"

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...J4o/edit#gid=0
post #70 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2016 KAW VN900CGF
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black/White
Quote:
Originally Posted by durox View Post
I'm just gonna throw this link in here, ok?
To be fair you should canvass blogs that have an ax to grind against Firestone oil filters and post their results. Probably equally impressive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode