Kawasaki 16097-0008 Oil Filter Disection - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2016 KAW VN900CGF
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black/White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Bill View Post
Du Ron, do you have any experience with K&N (303) filters? I use K&N a) because of the nut on top for ease of removal and b) because it is a premium construction filter. Not sure about b, that is just what K&N say, maybe just to try and justify the $15 price.

WB
The K&N filter is of better construction than most motorcycle oil filters. K&N website lists the drainback valve as being made of Nitrile. Silicone is top of the line. K&N does not list a bypass pressure specification so it is hard to compare data on these filters against other manufacturers who do release data. The K&N filter is not advertised as being made in the USA. The K&N is a "contract" made filter. At last sourcing the KN303 was manufactured by Champion. This is no big deal as the Kaw OEM filter is also a "contract" made filter manufactured by Denso. At $15.00 per filter, it is up to you to decide if it is worth that to you. One could say that it only costs $1.00 more than an OEM filter available from my dealer and the K&N is of notably better construction for the data that is released for it. On the other hand, if Aftermarket Automotive filters are available to you in a convenient manner at a store nearer you, for a lower price, and those filters are made in the USA, then their use may well be considered an advantage to you.
The K&N nut on top does have its advantages and if that makes life easier then it is well worth the price. So far, I have never needed a nut on top of a filter to get the filter off even when I am removing a filter that was put on by a ham-fisted clod with an impact wrench. I have many oil filter caps, wrenches, and bands so a nut on top of a filter is not a bonus point for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 02:00 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2011 Vulcan 900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 903
Du Rron, Thanks for the reply, glad to know K&N is a quality filter. I have one band type filter wrench which is pretty much useless on the VN900. I will stick with K&N being a quality filter, the few extra $ per oil change is worth it for ease of removal to me.

WB
post #13 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 06:28 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2016 VN 900 Custom
Color: Pearl Crystal White/Metallic Carbon Gray
I'll stick with the Supertech 6607 since Walmart carries them again.Have one on the bike and six on the shelf ready to go.

2016 VN900 Custom
Cobra FI2000R Fuel Controller
Kuryakyn Voltmeter
Kawasaki Mini Tachometer
K&N Air Filter
Kuryakyn ISO Grips With Dual Throttle Bosses
Saddlebags Installed Using EasyBrackets
Cobra Freeway Bars
DesertDawg Freeway Bar Chaps
Mustang Wide Vintage Touring Seat With Drivers Backrest
Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing With Lowers
Genmar X12 2" Risers

post #14 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 07:40 PM
BOTY Winner 2015!
BOTM Winner
July 2015

Garage
Great thread. Du-Ron, after reading your post I picked up a couple of the Purolator PL14459 filters at Advance Auto for $5.00 each. Since my stator just failed last week, changing out the oil and filter will be needed anyway once that repair is complete. The filter looks to be a great replacement for oem. The two I picked up were yellow, ftr.

Don't try to argue with idiots. You aren't the dumbass whisperer.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Vulcan 900 Custom, a few mods...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 VN800A, sold.
1998 VN500, sold.
post #15 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 05:57 PM

I cut open a Kawasaki OEM 16097-0008 oil filter and got different results. I didn't have any light pass through the bypass valve and couldn't see any indication where the bypass valve would not seal properly. Even if the bypass valve spring was defective and only applied half spring tension, no light can pass through it. However, I did have light pass through the filter element, but that is normal. I had to be very careful where I positioned the light because the bypass valve is small and getting the position wrong would point the light at the filter element where light can shine through. The body of the bypass valve fit snug against the filter element and appeared to be normal. There were no indications at all that the filter would not perform as it should.

I think you need more sample filters to properly evaluate a filter brand. I also think the filters should still be within their service life.

The Kawasaki OEM 16097-0008 oil filter I cut open is off a 2012 900 Classic LT. The bike has a little under 6000 miles. I don't know the service history of the motorcycle or how long the filter has been used. I just changed it out and replaced it with a FRAM PH6017A.

Last edited by BadJack; 12-07-2016 at 02:43 PM.
post #16 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Du-Rron View Post
I have previously used Purolator PL14610 & PL14612 filters in place of the Kaw OEM filter.

My current favorite now is the Purolator PL14459 filter. The spec picture, shows them in yellow. The new ones on the shelf now are blue in color.
Google and Advance Auto says that purolator doesn't fit my bike, the 900 custom.
Are those accurate?

You never see a bike parked outside a psychiatrist's office

07 Vulcan 900 custom,
96 VS800 Intruder,
01 1200 HD Sporty...
post #17 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 08:00 PM

Location: Deep in the heart of the NW part of a major metro area in the SE part of a very large SW state.
Motorcycle Oil Filter Cross Reference

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand
post #18 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 08:58 PM
BOTY Winner 2015!
BOTM Winner
July 2015

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkdelta View Post
Google and Advance Auto says that purolator doesn't fit my bike, the 900 custom.
Are those accurate?
The websites claim they won't, they are aftermarket car filters. Best way to approach this is with those that use car tires on their bikes, (Dark Side)

I bolted on the PL14459 filter on a couple nights back. Snug fit but works. Very close to the regulator/rectifier mount on the frame, but it threaded right on without issue. I plan on adding a couple ounces more oil due to the slightly larger size overall than stock due to it's larger size.

Don't try to argue with idiots. You aren't the dumbass whisperer.

2008 Vulcan 900 Custom, a few mods...

1998 VN800A, sold.
1998 VN500, sold.
post #19 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadJack View Post
I cut open a Kawasaki OEM 16097-0008 oil filter and got different results. I didn't have any light pass through the bypass valve and couldn't see any indication where the bypass valve would not seal properly. Even if the bypass valve spring was defective and only applied half spring tension, no light can pass through it. However, I did have light pass through the filter element, but that is normal. I had to be very careful where I positioned the light because the bypass valve is small and getting the position wrong would point the light at the filter element where light can shine through. The body of the bypass valve fit snug against the filter element and appeared to be normal. There were no indications at all that the filter would not perform as it should.

I think you need more sample filters to properly evaluate a filter brand. I also think the filters should still be within their service life.

The Kawasaki OEM 16097-0008 oil filter I cut open is off a 2012 900 Classic LT. The bike has a little under 6000 miles. I don't know the service history of the motorcycle or how long the filter has been used. I just changed it out and replaced it with a FRAM PH6017A.
Yikes!!!! You went through and hacked up an OEM filter and examined it and then ended up using a Fram filter that many many many folks have hacked up and shown the results???? Wow.
post #20 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkdelta View Post
Are those accurate?
That's because these filters are only marketed for cars with no "official" cross-reference to motorcycles. However, spec data crosses this filter to other known filters, it has the bypass pressure range within Kaw specs, physically fits the thread spec & diameter and location requirements, and it just plain tastes better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode