MPH vs RPM - Page 3 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 03:14 PM

Year/Make/Model: '09 V900 Classic
Displacement/CC's: dead stock
Color: Plasma blue
Yes, same here. I've even quit toe-lifting, pulling for 6th gear...
Hot Cruiser likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalRob View Post
These comments all give me much more confidence in the bike. I am still going to get a tachometer so I can monitor my engine speed.
I had trouble finding the OEM Kawasaki tachometer. Its discontinued or out of stock on Kawasaki's website. Not sure which, but I found a dealership in another state that had 1 in stock. The OEM tachometer is nice but expensive.
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 05:01 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadJack View Post
I had trouble finding the OEM Kawasaki tachometer. Its discontinued or out of stock on Kawasaki's website. Not sure which, but I found a dealership in another state that had 1 in stock. The OEM tachometer is nice but expensive.
I bought my tach via Ebay. Much less expensive. Maybe try finding what you would like here (f the link works!): Kawasaki Vulcan 900 tachometer | eBay

'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Jesus is Lord

post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 05:56 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2016 VN 900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Pearl Crystal White/Metallic Carbon Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadJack View Post
Yes,the Kawasaki tachometer is a darn good one.Cobra also makes a nice one.

2016 VN900 Custom
Cobra FI2000R Fuel Controller
Kuryakyn Voltmeter
Kawasaki Mini Tachometer
K&N Air Filter
Kuryakyn ISO Grips With Dual Throttle Bosses
Saddlebags Installed Using EasyBrackets
Cobra Freeway Bars
DesertDawg Freeway Bar Chaps
Mustang Wide Vintage Touring Seat With Drivers Backrest
Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing With Lowers
Genmar X12 2" Risers

2014 Ninja 300 SE Pearl StarDust White With ABS
Two Brothers Tarmac Carbon Slip On
TST Integrated Tail/Signal Lights
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 08:50 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2011 Vulcan 900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Cruiser View Post
I bought my tach via Ebay. Much less expensive. Maybe try finding what you would like here (f the link works!): Kawasaki Vulcan 900 tachometer | eBay
Hot Cruiser, How well does that $20 tack work? Does it bounce all over the place? With rev limiters these days a tach is not as important as the old days. I can't justify spending $250 for a tach, but $20?? I have bought some cheap stuff and surprised at how good it is for the money, likewise I have purchased high priced products and really disappointed how poor the quality was for the money. How does you tach stack up?

WB
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 09:11 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: '05
Displacement/CC's: 800
Garage
i checked the link on that gearing commander web site just now, thanks to who posted the link, on my '05 800 i had installed new front and rear sprockets 17/40, stock was 17/42, so commander page says for my bike using 17/40 sprockets in 5th gear going 73.5 mph, rpm is at 4200, i think red line on these bikes is 8000 rpm, i entered sprockets 17/42 on commander page and it says in 5th gear 70 mph is at 4200, so the rear sprocket change gives my bike another 3.5 mph in 5th

Thunder Mfg teardrop 40's K&N 170MJ 48PJ 2.75turns DynoJet Needle DNO106 2nd notch V&H Cruzers Aeromach risers Michelin Commander IIs Shell Rotella 5w40 Wix 51358 17T/40 Sprockets
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 12:48 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Bill View Post
Hot Cruiser, How well does that $20 tack work? Does it bounce all over the place? With rev limiters these days a tach is not as important as the old days. I can't justify spending $250 for a tach, but $20?? I have bought some cheap stuff and surprised at how good it is for the money, likewise I have purchased high priced products and really disappointed how poor the quality was for the money. How does you tach stack up?

WB
WB, I don't know how well the $20 tach works. The Tyan tach I bought in 2007 cost something like $45 if I remember correctly, since that seems to be in the historical Dark Ages now! There is quite a lot of needle bounce at idle and low RPMs, but at higher revs it disappears and at road speed RPMs there is no needle bounce. I read somewhere that even the low RPM bounce can be eliminated by inserting an inexpensive electronic component into the tach wire which comes from the single fire adapter (needed on my VN900) , but I don't recall whether the component is a resistor, capacitor, or something else. Yeah, with today's rev limiters having a tach isn't as important as it once was.

'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Jesus is Lord
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 01:04 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2011 Vulcan 900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Cruiser View Post
WB, I don't know how well the $20 tach works. The Tyan tach I bought in 2007 cost something like $45 if I remember correctly, since that seems to be in the historical Dark Ages now! There is quite a lot of needle bounce at idle and low RPMs, but at higher revs it disappears and at road speed RPMs there is no needle bounce. I read somewhere that even the low RPM bounce can be eliminated by inserting an inexpensive electronic component into the tach wire which comes from the single fire adapter (needed on my VN900) , but I don't recall whether the component is a resistor, capacitor, or something else. Yeah, with today's rev limiters having a tach isn't as important as it once was.
Thanks HC. Tach really isn't needed on these bikes, the engine pulls well over a large rev range and you can pretty much shift by feel.

Not in my teens and 20s anymore trying to target shifting in the max rev/power range or doing any street drag racing where you would red line the engine before dropping the clutch. I thought that that was fun 40 years ago, now cruising along a near deserted back road at 50 mph relaxed and just looking is my idea of fun, guess that puts me into the old fart category, oh well!

WB
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 01:47 PM

Year/Make/Model: '09 V900 Classic
Displacement/CC's: dead stock
Color: Plasma blue
Right with you, Wild Bill.

I just added a Versys 1000LT to the garage, which parked by the Vulcan makes for a fantastic choice of what to ride.

The Versys' supplied tach is handy for monitoring break in rpms but will be of little use after that. Its torque-tuned Ninja 1000 engine pulls so hard in the bottom half of the rev range that using the top half seems like madness.

Once I learn the general sound and vibration of a given rev number on an engine, I almost don't want the numbers to be presented on a gauge. It's distracting from the head and eyes up position that keeps me alive.

In its upper rev range the V900 just sounds miserable, and I don't want to treat her that-a-way. Don't need a tach to tell me that.
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2016 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Color: Silver/Black
Garage
HC, WB, etc.--
I was also wondering the accuracy of a $20 tach. I can deal with a bit of needle-bounce. Due to some hearing loss and wearing a full-face helmet I have a difficult time hearing the engine well. Do you need to get the adapter for our bikes so it doesn't show half the RPMs? It seems like for $20 you can't go wrong trying one.

Also, I see these tachs with a tab at the bototm with a hole in it. Is that supposed to go on the handlebar risers? I am having trouble figuring out how they attach to the bike. This is the only way I can see it attaching.

As always, thanks for the insightful input!

FS: 2006 Suzuki Burgman 400
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Riding: 2016 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Barons engine guard
Kuryakyn passenger floor boards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode