MPH vs RPM - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 07:08 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalRob View Post
Okay, now that I have an idea of the MPH/RPM, what sort of RPMs can our trusty rides handle for long periods of time, assuming proper maintenance? Can I ride at 4100-4500 RPMs for a couple of hours? A mechanic I am not. I can change the oil and filter, but anything beyond that I take to the shop, and take it as recommended in the Owner's Manual.
No problem, these 9's make power up to just under 6000 rpm, after that the Rev. limiter kicks in around 7500 rpm. In all reality the 900 should pull hard to 85-90mph in 4th gear, I know mine does
durox likes this.

2007 VN 900LT
Ebony Black & Galaxy Silver

Highway bars w/pegs
Saddleman studded seat
Cobra 2 into 1 HP Pro w/peashooter tip
Luggage rack
Home brewed aux. brake light
Home brewed Leather Lowers
Highway bar Chaps
Cobra FI2000 Tri-pot
Redneck air box/K&N filter
Headlight modulator
Other stuff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Rider 50; 11-11-2016 at 07:20 PM. Reason: keyboard troubles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 07:24 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
I have put many miles(15000) or more at speeds in the 75-80mph for hours/fuel up/hours more. Still getting in the high to mid 40's mpg with mods.

2007 VN 900LT
Ebony Black & Galaxy Silver

Highway bars w/pegs
Saddleman studded seat
Cobra 2 into 1 HP Pro w/peashooter tip
Luggage rack
Home brewed aux. brake light
Home brewed Leather Lowers
Highway bar Chaps
Cobra FI2000 Tri-pot
Redneck air box/K&N filter
Headlight modulator
Other stuff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 11:17 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Many times I would ride 75-80mph sustained from gas station to gas station for a few hours at a time. No big deal to the bike, but it does get a little buzzy/revvy at that speed. Some people don't mind, but others really can't stand it.

2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer
2008 Yamaha XT250
War Eagle

post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 01:23 AM

The Gearing Commander website mentioned earlier is awesome! Answered all my questions. I ride a KLR650 on the freeway, so the stock gearing on a Classic LT is going to feel like an upgrade.
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 07:23 PM

Year/Make/Model: '09 V900 Classic
Displacement/CC's: dead stock
Color: Plasma blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graybush View Post
Many times I would ride 75-80mph sustained from gas station to gas station for a few hours at a time. No big deal to the bike, but it does get a little buzzy/revvy at that speed. Some people don't mind, but others really can't stand it.
I'm one of them, don't like it above 70. There's no reason we can't cruise at 5K RPM or more but dang, it's a V-twin not a four or a parallel twin. It doesn't feel right at all. You want to lope along easy on the highway on a cruiser or touring bike. You want to shift well below redline. The motor asks you to treat it that way.

The other thing is, buzzing is constant wear and tear. Moving parts wear from their motion. Jerking them thousands of times a minute while they are doing their intended movements adds a new level of wear.

It's the same with HDs shaking like a paint mixer at idle. That might be quaint and old school and sentimental, but the engine is trying to move smoothly through its power cycle while getting jerked around like a dog on a short choke chain. Not good.
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 03:35 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2016 KAW VN900CGF
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black/White
I believe these bikes will run all day/week/month/etc for years and years at 80+ miles per hour. At 80% capacity of redline of 7000rpm, is about 5600 rpm. You are below 5600rpm running 80mph.

My bike, one month old and with just 700 miles on it is starting to smooth out. After about 5000 miles of breaking it in, it should run even smoother.
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 07:40 AM

Year/Make/Model: '09 V900 Classic
Displacement/CC's: dead stock
Color: Plasma blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du-Rron View Post
I believe these bikes will run all day/week/month/etc for years and years at 80+ miles per hour. At 80% capacity of redline of 7000rpm, is about 5600 rpm. You are below 5600rpm running 80mph.

My bike, one month old and with just 700 miles on it is starting to smooth out. After about 5000 miles of breaking it in, it should run even smoother.
Kawasaki says you are right about engine speeds and they designed the engine to do that.

My 900 Classic is passing 5,200mi of pampered riding. It has always felt smooth but there is a sense of it getting more buttery and able to deliver its power easier against less and less friction.

I have to fight the urge to change the oil every 1000 miles, from wanting to give the engine perfect internal conditions.
Du-Rron likes this.
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 09:12 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalRob View Post
Okay, now that I have an idea of the MPH/RPM, what sort of RPMs can our trusty rides handle for long periods of time, assuming proper maintenance? Can I ride at 4100-4500 RPMs for a couple of hours? A mechanic I am not. I can change the oil and filter, but anything beyond that I take to the shop, and take it as recommended in the Owner's Manual.
I have an '09 LT. Back during the summer the Wife and I loaded her up and rode about 700 miles one way out to Missouri. Only made the needed stops and the temp that day for the most part was above 100. Average speed was between 75-80 mph. At the time the bike had around 19,000 miles on her. She purred like a kitten the whole trip
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2016 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Color: Silver/Black
Garage
These comments all give me much more confidence in the bike. I am still going to get a tachometer so I can monitor my engine speed. I also sometimes have a difficult time hearing the engine and forget to count the shifts so am not sure of the gear. The tach should help with that and more. I really appreciate all the FANTASTIC input here! THANKS!

FS: 2006 Suzuki Burgman 400

Riding: 2016 Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Barons engine guard
Kuryakyn passenger floor boards
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 01:44 PM
Top Contributor

My tach reads about 3250 rpm at a speedo-indicated 60 mph. The speedo reads about 5 mph fast at that point. Originally I installed the tach to help me to know which gear I was in. After having had my 900 since 2007 and have gotten used to engine sound and feel in the various gears I rarely look at the tach any more.

'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Jesus is Lord
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode