Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

2009 Vulcan 900 Custom - Bad Gas Issues

29K views 73 replies 10 participants last post by  MidIAVoyager 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom with just under 10k miles. I got a great deal on it, and the bike overall is in good shape. The downside is that it sat for about 3 years.

The tank had approximately 2 gallons in it (no more than that) when parked 3 years ago. At one point about a year ago, the fuel was "cleaned", which I think means they put an additive in it. A couple of weeks ago when I bought the bike, I put an additional 1 gallon of new fuel it, and the bike ran very well. I rode it home about 10 miles and didn't experience any stalling or hesitation, though I rode slowly and carefully because the tires desperately need to be replaced, along with who knows what other potential problems. I parked it in my garage and at this point it was still running fine.

I then did the following over the last 2 weekends:
- Changed oil and filter (warmed engine up first - ran a tiny bit rough but was ok)
- Siphoned gas and removed the tank (a bit of old gas I couldn't get out, a few cups worth)
- Changed spark plugs (checked gap - all should be well)
- Changed coolant
- Inspected air filter (a little dirty but not bad)
- Reinstalled gas tank and added 2 gallons new fuel, along with several ounces of Seafoam

Once everything was reassembled I was able to start the bike, but noticed it was running rough. Any attempt to give it throttle caused a stall. After a few restarts it got noticeably worse, with the bike stalling at idle after a few seconds. Now it will not start at all (cranks strong, but shows no sign of actually starting).

I'm thinking that I was too overconfident with the old fuel, and now I've clogged either the injectors or the fuel pump, or both. I'm going to take things back apart and double check to make sure there's nothing else causing the issue, but it sounds like the engine isn't getting fuel.

My questions are:
1. Is there anything else I should check first?
2. Which order should I check things in? i.e. can I check the fuel pump first, or skip straight to the injectors?
3. Is there a cheap way I can clean the injectors with them potentially clogged like this?

Like most people I'm on a budget and my goal was to fix this bike up myself to save a few coins. If I have to replace expensive items then I will do it, but it will delay the project pretty significantly. Any advice is appreciated!

See less See more
#4 ·
Unfortunately it now will not start at all. I think I've totally plugged something up so it's not getting fuel. I'm probably beyond the point of using Seafoam to fix it.

To check the fuel pump flow, can I simply disconnect the fuel line, run a hose into a gas can or suitable container, and turn the key with the kill switch on? I hear the fuel pump whine like normal so I know it's getting power, I'm just not sure if that will make it pump or if I have to push the starter.

#5 ·
If the problem is a blocked fuel filter, it is integrated into the fuel pump and supposedly isn't replaceable, although some owners apparently have devised a workaround. If the pump has to be replaced the OEM -type pump is pricey (something like $400, if I recall), but less expensive ones sometimes are available on Ebay.

#7 ·
I've seen one online from High Flow Fuel for $70. From the diagram on their site it looks like it only replaces a few key parts. I searched the forums here but didn't find many references to that pump, so it might be a bit of a gamble. Still a lot cheaper than OEM though.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

#6 ·
while bike is cranking over see if it will start with starting fluid. If so, you have a fuel problem. If not you have a spark problem. Are you sure you plugged everything back in>

#8 ·
I haven't used starting fluid before so that didn't occur to me. It looks like I simply remove the air filter, spray into the intake for a couple of seconds, replace the air filter, then try to start?

I'm pretty sure I put everything back together correctly, but there's always room for error. The bike did briefly start and run (roughly) after I did the spark plugs so I feel like it's more of a fuel issue, but I will definitely pull the plugs and check them. When I do that should I also put a bit of starter fluid directly in the cylinders, or is that overkill?

Thanks again to everyone for the help! I only got to ride this bike briefly and now I've got the itch! A totally different powerband than my Ninja 300.

#9 ·
Starter button and throttle is on the right side. As you stand there, keep your face away from the intake. Get engine cranking, twist the grip just a bit, like just enough to crack open the throttle body, and give it a quick spray. It should start, run, then stall out. Limit this to just a few times like two or three times.

The secret to starting fluid is for it to reach the engine as a vapor. That is where people make the mistake is using too much. Short quick blasts into the throttle body is what you want. In the cylinder will remove all traces of oil film from the walls. Not really good unless engine is extremely flooded and needed as a last resort.

#10 ·
Ok, so I spray in the fluid with the air filter off, as I crank the starter. Let's say I luck out and it does start and idles correctly. Should I reattach the air filter as its running? Or just let it run for a minute and then shut it down?

#11 ·
The air filter can be left off for diagnostic purposes. Just keep your face away from the throttle body throat in case it spits at you.

#20 ·
That makes sense, sfair. Seems like the fuel filter would likely be clogged before the injectors - I suppose that's actually its purpose. I'll test the fuel pump first to see if anything is coming out. If there's nothing, that must be the problem. If there is fuel flowing, I'll check the plugs and make sure I didn't screw up anything obvious.

At that point, do you think I should A) put things back together and try the starter fluid, or B) pull the injectors and get ready to clean them?

Sorry for all the hypotheticals. Unfortunately I can't really work on this during the week due to my schedule, so I am trying to come up with a plan for this weekend so I'm not just sitting on my hands.

#22 ·
I bought an 07 900 with 172 miles on it last month. It had 2 gallons of old fuel in the tank. I topped off the tank with 3 gallons of fuel and added a 1/2 bottle of Seafoam. I put in a new battery. It started and I immediately ran it for 200 miles and refueled the bike. It now has 550 miles on the bike.

I guess I was lucky. My point is, recheck your work. Be sure your plug wires are on secure. You took off the gas tank and put it back on. Double check your work. Triple check it. It probably is something that you did.

Nothing wrong with using starter fluid for diagnoses. Often times, it can get a bike to start and run.

Please let us know what you find out.

#23 ·
Nothing wrong with using starter fluid for diagnoses. Often times, it can get a bike to start and run.

I will respectfully disagree with that. If an engine needs starting fluid to go, there is something wrong if it will not start and run on gasoline (as it should), and what ever that is will come back and bite you a good one.

I have never used fluid in my life, but prefer to troubleshoot and repair to get an engine going.

But everyone is free to use any route they choose.

#24 ·
Agree with sfair about the use of starter fluid. If the bike starts with it all that basically demonstrates is that the ignition system is working, easily proven by other methods. Starter fluid is hard on engines, often will create uncontrolled damaging knocking, and unlike gasoline has negative lubricity characteristics which can further especially damage pistons, piston rings, and cylinder walls.

#25 ·
Sounds like starting fluid is more of a last resort. I haven't used it before, so no need to start now I guess.

I'll be double checking my work this weekend. I'm going to do the following:

1) check fuel pump for flow
2) disassemble and check spark plugs, connectors, etc.
3) reassemble and try starting

If I run into a problem on one of those steps, it should be obvious enough. If I go through everything and still have no luck, I'll check back in here.

Thanks again for the help! I've never worked through a problem quite like this so it is a learning experience for me.

#30 ·
I think I'll be avoiding the starter fluid. The bike should start without it unless there is something else wrong (which clearly there is). I'll be working on it tomorrow and will post the results here! Fingers crossed that it's something simple I can resolve tomorrow.

#31 ·
Fuel pump tested and confirmed to be working fine. A few ounces of gasoline flowed out of the tank perfectly, so no issue there. Starting to take tank off, will report back on that soon.

Current thoughts/guesses are that something must be up with the spark plugs. Either I gapped or installed them wrong somehow, or perhaps they are not compatible. I was having trouble finding NGK plugs in town but the Autolite 4303 plugs were listed as compatible. Could it be that they are not compatible? They looked identical to the original plugs.

I still have the original plugs sitting in my trash can. I guess I could clean them off and put them back in to help troubleshoot.

#33 ·
Alright, I pulled the tank and checked the spark plugs. They are both dry (not even a hint of gas), and were a little bit brown/black, making me believe they were indeed getting spark. I went ahead and put the original NGK plugs back in just to eliminate the new plugs factor, but I don't think they were the problem.

I reassembled the bike and tried to start, but no luck. It still just cranks like before - not even a sign of life.

I'm thinking the cylinders being dry must mean no fuel. Since the fuel pump is working, are clogged injectors the next suspect on the list, or is there something else I should try?

#34 ·
Frustrating............ no doubt.

As previously stated, a small shot of starting fluid would split your search in half. If it fires on starter fluid, it would tell you to look at your fuel delivery system. If not, look at the electrical. On several occasions, using starting fluid on motors, I have seen the engine start, run and stay running. Never to find out what "the problem" was. fuel lock, partically plugged filter, who knows..... but the motor wouldn't start until I sprayed a little starting fluid at the air filter and hit the switch.

I know there are some professional well educated very concerned members on here who advise against it, so I would never suggest you to try it. Each to their own.

The last can I bought about 4 years ago still sits on my shelf in the garage and is 80% full. I think it costs $2.00. Which is $2.00 more than my online advice.

#37 ·
So just in case my last post wasn't clear - the spark plugs are working. I don't believe I'm having an ignition issue.

The plugs were both completely dry when I pulled them out - not a trace of gasoline. The fuel pump is working correctly, and I have no reason to suspect the fuel line itself. Could it be an issue with air being in the fuel line, or would the fuel pump push any of that out?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.