Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Installed a Batwing on the Custom

4K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  ltjhaupt 
#1 · (Edited)
Not sure if I like the look with the 12" shield but wanted the best wind protection out of the gate rather than keep buying a taller shield.Only took the bike for a short ride around the block and I'm not sure yet if the Batwing actually provides better wind protection than my Memphis Fats did.Once I get some miles on the Wing I'll post back with a better opinion.The Custom is one of the few, if not the only bike, that you do not need to buy a different plate kit for if you already have a Memphis Fats or Slim installed.Also not sure that I like the bottom lip that completely surrounds the headlight as it seems to limit the tilt adjustment of the Batwing.I may just end up cutting that bottom lip off.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
So far the more I ride with and look at the Batwing the more I like it.The lowers on the sides of the Batwing does direct some air to the knees.Not so welcome on a cool morning ride in to work, but welcome on a warm 85 degree ride home.

#7 ·
theusatrailerstore | eBay

Sorry to post steal, but has anyone tried installing a USA trailer store batwing on a custom. They don't make one for the 900 custom or classic, but would anyone be able to recommend one that might fit on my custom? Anyone installed a batwing for another bike on their custom?

#10 ·
I used one from USA Trailer Store meant for a Vulcan 1500. I didn't use their bracket tho. I used the Memphis shades trigger lock system on the forks, and made my own brackets that bolted to the quick release "knobs" on the MS mounting system. I sold the bike or I'd snap some pics for you.

#8 ·
I missed this post earlier in the summer.

I have the same setup Bandit. I had the 9" spoiler shield and at highway speeds air was hitting directly in my eyes (5' 10") and shaking my glasses (I wear a half helmet)

I went 12" but maybe even the 9" straight would have been enough, not sure tho.

I do have the crash bar chaps and batwing lowers. However I also have the fork lowers that direct the air away from the knees if that helps you think about it.

an older pic but shows the lowers:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.