Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Tire Pressure Question - Which One is Right? / Preload Adjustment Question

13K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Hot Cruiser 
#1 ·
OK guys, I have had my 09 VN900 Classic LT since last September when I got back into riding after more than a decade hiatus from riding, and getting ready to ride two up again for the first time in a long time. So I really have two questions but will start with the most basic. The OM says rear tire pressure should be about 28 psi solo and 32 w/passenger, but the tire says this:

So what is the correct answer?

Second question regarding preload. OM manual doesn't give much info other than moving to the higher number is for a stronger spring or more weight. I have been riding for over 2,000 miles with no problems on the number 4 ridge and I weigh about 250-255, so my passenger (careful not to say wife and weight in the same sentence) will bring us close to 500 altogether, so I adjusted the preload all the way to number 7, the highest ridge, figuring we are pretty big and the 900 is not like a great two-up bike so just thought I better go all the way. I have looked for some type of chart or scale but haven't found anything, anyone else riding around two-up about this heavy and have any input? Or does anyone know of a chart for the adjustment. And just some insite, adjusting this thing is a knuckle-buster if the spanner slips!

See less See more
#3 ·
It's all a preference. I keep 40 in both tires. Some like them a little squishy.

Reactions: BobinNC
#5 ·
According to the service manual for my 07 vn900lt the rear shock is set at #4 for a 150lbs. rider no passenger and no accessories.

I keep mine on #6, I do some 2up riding. My weight 250lbs with gear, the love tips in at 120

The tire sidewall is max pressure, at max load,cold. Who checks their pressure with everyone aboard?
That and tire makers generaly call for higher pressures for high speed riding (above 60mph?)
For those of us with the spokes, low pressure equals higher temps, not good.

That said, I tend to run the tires 5-10% under max. I do get good mileage life from the Dunlops. But a large part of my riding is in cooler temps under 70 degrees.

Reactions: BobinNC
#6 · (Edited)
I've had 2 Vulcan 900, kept both of them right at the owners manual 28, 32 if you got a passenger, and has always performed and felt great. If you like getting jarred real hard, keep it at the maximum! This suspension was designed for 28/32. As far as the preload adjustment, my feeling is if you're not bottoming out going over a railroad track you are good to go! Welcome back to the riding world! I just started writing again a couple of years ago and 2 To be a little safer I've been watching YouTube videos on motorcycle crashes, it helps sharpen the saw and keep me more aware of different situations.

#8 ·
Just as a follow up I set the pressure about 37 psi and adjusted the preload to 7 as I mentioned and we both went for a ride and it felt great, I could tell right off the driveway curb it was set pretty good, not too hard and not too soft where it came close to bottoming out. Wife enjoyed the right but it was a short ride because of rain starting, but she said the seat was not real comfy and the foot pegs were vibrating and making her feet a bit numb, but she wants to go again and even wanted to run up and get some real riding gloves (was using my mechanic's gloves) and slapped a couple stickers on her helmet (not something even I do). So maybe it is now time to start looking at the Voyagers!?!?

#12 · (Edited)
Tires should be set by the manual. I am surprised many ride with much higher pressures.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.