Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Stopped Working

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  durox 
#1 ·
I can use some advice. My bike started right up at work for my ride home today. I got about half way home and noticed that my speedo stopped working and I have no headlights or turn signals. I was able to make it home but once I got into my driveway and shut the bike off it will not start. I have checked the battery and it is registering at 10.53 amps, which by the way is a new battery of just 5 months old. I did notice a few times that the speedo would start to work but only to stop again. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

#3 · (Edited)
Do you mean that the battery voltage, rather than amps, was 10.53? If it was that low just after a ride there most likely is a problem with the charging system. But since you have not provided details about your ride either in your profile, your sig line, or your post it is difficult to actually evaluate the situation and its cause. Since you have posted on the 900 forum, if the bike actually is a 900 the problem could be with the stator. Years 2006-2007 have had a record of unusually high stator failure rates.

#6 · (Edited)
double check the voltage of the rested battery. you want 12.5Volts or higher...

FI indicator light displays service codes by blinking after you turn the ignition key/switch ON. long blinks, pause, shorter blinks.
codes 24 and 25 are related to speed sensor malfunction. ( 2 long blinks, pause, 4 short blinks for code 24, you get the picture..)

I would start by checking the fuses. next the connectors -and speed sensor.
next the meter/'speedo' thing...

it may be the case that a malfunctioning speed sensor prevents the bike from starting... for example a crankshaft sensor malfunction stops the engine, but I do not know what a faulty speed sensor does in that sense..
the fact that it stopped working and then came on again a few times makes me think the issue is related to that sensor.

the speed sensor connector is located on the back side of the transmission case (left and right side cover access), about in between the upper and lower side of the belt. I cleaned the connection the other day when I changed the coolant...

there is a procedure for inspecting that sensor. someone around here I'm sure knows how to do that... I only know the input voltage at sensor should be about 5 Volts - read it the other day on this forum.

I will disconnect that sensor tomorrow when I'm going to check the coolant level and see if the bike starts.

update
I had a hard time trying to disconnect the sensor while checking the coolant today... So I still don't know if the bike starts w/ no speed sensor.

wish you all the best !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.