Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

New vn900 custom breakin

6K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  jhghah 
#1 ·
I will be getting my brand new Vulcan 900 custom on Saturday and since it is new I will need to break it in so can somebody pass me some advice on how to break it in properly

how fast can I go and at what point can I do it?

I have also heard about not staying to a specific rpm but what exactly does this mean? do i have to keep moving my hand for like 1000 miles? because that will get annoying fast?

and what are the service intervals that I need to keep track off and what do they involve if i were to do it myself?

#8 ·
the manual shows maximum recommended engine speed in the Break-In section. have you found the table?

the goal is NOT to keep the RPMs as low as possible, but vary it in a given range... so for the first 500miles, it is recommended to up shift in 2nd gear @20mph, 3rd gear @30mph, 4th @40mph... that gives a RPM range of 1000- 3600 (idle to 20mph in 1st gear for example). once you get moving the actual RPM range is more like 2000-3600. between 500-1000 miles the RPM can go about another 1000 higher.

if you have some experience riding you will find the 900 shifts quite nicely... that being said, one can go up and down thru the gears in order to vary the RPMs. keep in mind that you put more stress on the engine when the RPMs are too low for the selected gear/speed than when lets say, you rev the engine a little... I would rather be in 3rd gear @50mph (~4000RPM) going up hill than be in 5th gear @30mph (~1700RPM). you get the picture.

same goes for the idle RPM. have it a little higher rather than too low. having it too low results in low oil pressure. after you start the engine it revs high for a little while. it then comes down and remains constant. it should be above 1000RPM. have the dealer set it for you, so you get a sense of what it sounds like.

hope this helps, be safe and have fun!

max torque @3700RPM
max hp @5700RPM

Attachments

#7 ·
i wouldn't worry too much about the rpms. If you ride around town and back roads you will be shifting up and down and changing speed enough to keep the engine at different rpms.

Be sure to do your first oil change at 600 miles as stated in the manual. If you plan on doing your own basic service I recommend the K&N oil filter, you will see why when you do your fist oil change.

Be sure to search this forum if you have any issues, most likely you will find the info you are looking for, if not just post a new thread.

Enjoy your new ride!!

WB

#9 ·
This may be a little late but,
I would suggest doing some research on break in.
As no one that rides professionally will suggest to break it in as the factory suggests.

I always break in everything as you plan to actually ride, If you do as the owners manual suggests you will have less pulling power, and less overall top end than a bike broke in hard.

This is just my personal experience, and the track guys I used to hang with.

My friend and I bought 08 models the same day, I broke mine in hard and he followed the suggested, my bike was about 15 MPH faster and pulled way harder.

But like I said just my opinion, and my experience.

Research it though is the best option..

#12 · (Edited)
I agree with the others, MOM Kawi is a very good guide line for everything. Main thing is to warm up the motor,don't settle in a RPM for long, work your way up to the higher RPMs. The idea is to wear/break in all the wear surfaces ASAP, this includes, stretch and rings. You should be taking the RPMs up to 6000+ as soon as the break in allows.

Back in "the day" we used to apply a little choke, bring up the RPM to wear the rings, followed by no throttle to wash the rings with oil, repeat every 2-3 seconds.Run that process for a 1/2 hour stationary,then an 1/2 hour+ on the street. Change the oil after a hour or two. Then again after 500miles with normal choke. After 1-2 thousand miles drive em as you want.

#13 ·
got the bike on saturday and love it, and right now im riding it somewhat how the user manual says but not 100%
like i will shift up in the area it tells me to not exactly 20 30 40 etc.
so far i have put about 80 miles on it and loved every second

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.