New vn900 custom breakin - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
New vn900 custom breakin

I will be getting my brand new Vulcan 900 custom on Saturday and since it is new I will need to break it in so can somebody pass me some advice on how to break it in properly

how fast can I go and at what point can I do it?

I have also heard about not staying to a specific rpm but what exactly does this mean? do i have to keep moving my hand for like 1000 miles? because that will get annoying fast?

and what are the service intervals that I need to keep track off and what do they involve if i were to do it myself?

2015 Vulcan900 Custom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 02:18 PM
Top Contributor

Follow the owners manual instructions , and no one else's, and you cannot go wrong.
durox, Spinner and revrider like this.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 02:21 PM
Top Contributor

All of those questions are answered in the Owner's Manual which you should receive when you pick up your new 900. Maybe the dealer would give you the manual before you pick up the motorcycle.

'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Jesus is Lord

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 05:53 PM

Garage
You can also download it (the owner's manual only) for free at https://www.kawasaki.com/ServiceManuals/ChooseVehicle.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 07:08 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD View Post
You can also download it (the owner's manual only) for free at https://www.kawasaki.com/ServiceManuals/ChooseVehicle.
agreed follow the owners manual. enjoy the new ride.
BTW the link says it changes for owners and service manuals

The Light At The End Of The Tunnel Is A Muzzle Flash
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
ok i have downloaded the user manual, but what about not keeping the rpm constant?

2015 Vulcan900 Custom
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 07:29 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2011 Vulcan 900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 903
i wouldn't worry too much about the rpms. If you ride around town and back roads you will be shifting up and down and changing speed enough to keep the engine at different rpms.

Be sure to do your first oil change at 600 miles as stated in the manual. If you plan on doing your own basic service I recommend the K&N oil filter, you will see why when you do your fist oil change.

Be sure to search this forum if you have any issues, most likely you will find the info you are looking for, if not just post a new thread.

Enjoy your new ride!!

WB
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 11:06 AM

Year/Make/Model: 09/Vulcan900/Custom SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by supaginge View Post
ok i have downloaded the user manual, but what about not keeping the rpm constant?
the manual shows maximum recommended engine speed in the Break-In section. have you found the table?

the goal is NOT to keep the RPMs as low as possible, but vary it in a given range... so for the first 500miles, it is recommended to up shift in 2nd gear @20mph, 3rd gear @30mph, 4th @40mph... that gives a RPM range of 1000- 3600 (idle to 20mph in 1st gear for example). once you get moving the actual RPM range is more like 2000-3600. between 500-1000 miles the RPM can go about another 1000 higher.

if you have some experience riding you will find the 900 shifts quite nicely... that being said, one can go up and down thru the gears in order to vary the RPMs. keep in mind that you put more stress on the engine when the RPMs are too low for the selected gear/speed than when lets say, you rev the engine a little... I would rather be in 3rd gear @50mph (~4000RPM) going up hill than be in 5th gear @30mph (~1700RPM). you get the picture.

same goes for the idle RPM. have it a little higher rather than too low. having it too low results in low oil pressure. after you start the engine it revs high for a little while. it then comes down and remains constant. it should be above 1000RPM. have the dealer set it for you, so you get a sense of what it sounds like.

hope this helps, be safe and have fun!

max torque @3700RPM
max hp @5700RPM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3700rpm.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	164194  
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 02:01 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2009/ Vulcan/ Custom
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Limited
Garage
This may be a little late but,
I would suggest doing some research on break in.
As no one that rides professionally will suggest to break it in as the factory suggests.

I always break in everything as you plan to actually ride, If you do as the owners manual suggests you will have less pulling power, and less overall top end than a bike broke in hard.

This is just my personal experience, and the track guys I used to hang with.

My friend and I bought 08 models the same day, I broke mine in hard and he followed the suggested, my bike was about 15 MPH faster and pulled way harder.

But like I said just my opinion, and my experience.

Research it though is the best option..

LEAVE NOTHING ON THE TABLE !!!!!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 03:07 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhghah View Post

My friend and I bought 08 models the same day, I broke mine in hard and he followed the suggested, my bike was about 15 MPH faster and pulled way harder.

Just too many variables for one to say, for certain, that break-in procedure was the difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode