Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Engine Guards on 900 Custom

17K views 29 replies 18 participants last post by  bsutph001 
#1 ·
I'm considering putting an engine guard on my 2010 vulcan 900 I just got a few weeks back.

Any recommendations on which one?

Anyone bought one from ebay?

#6 ·
I have the highway hawk fat bar blends right into the bike

#12 ·
Thank for everyone's input. It's very helpful.

I'm seeing now, a lot of the ebay ads, are advertising that they will fit both the custom and classic 900's? Is this true?

I have a 900 custom. Will the guards really fit on mine if it ends up being a classic bar?

Reactions: senecaslim59
#18 ·
I had the same issue. My bike is red and chrome, but the frame is matte black. Wanted a matte guard, but can't find one. The chrome seemed too flashy for my tastes, so I went with the gloss black. I figure I can refinish it later if I have too.

I will post some pics after I get it installed this weekend.

#20 ·
Got my engine guards on wednesday, put them on last night. They are the black OEM guards for the custom. Pretty easy install, took less than a half hour. A little tight getting them on, but its pretty simple. I like the look overall, the gloss on the black isn't too overpowering. What do you all think???

Attachments

#22 ·
I just got an email from Amazon about some engine guards but I can't see if they fit the Vulcan 900 custom.. anyone have product #'s they can share ? I've seen a couple engine guards that are powder-coated so I think (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that its the one I want since it's not glossy..?

I'm going insane this weekend not riding... I need a part for my mirror and thought it'd be in-house at the mechanic in 3-4 days and apparently that's not the case.. so upset... :(

#24 ·
I'm planning on buying the black oem guard for my custom. Does anyone have recommendations and or pictures (and maybe part numbers?) on a set of pegs to go on them?

I guess realistically, I should ask if they would be comfortable being slapped on an oem guard first. Any thoughts?

#25 ·
I ended up putting the black OEM ones on my red 2010 custom. Pic is below. I can't rememeber the part number, but i got it on Amazon for like $200ish. Personally, I don't think the OEM ones are great for putting highway pegs on. As you'll see they curve forward around the turn radius of the front wheel. If you have really long legs it might work, but it wouldn't work for me at 5'9''. As far as the bars are concerned, I really like them. They aren't too overly large, so they still keep with the look of the custom. I'm satisfied with them, but if you really want pegs out there, I'd probably look elsewhere.

#27 ·
I understand the purpose, and aesthetics on a classic chromed up bagger...they fit right in.

On a Custom? You might as well put matching training wheels on too, they just destroy the clean lines IMHO.

Good Luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.