Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Tires shot, almost wiped out today. Whats best tires avail for Custom 900?

6K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  Lone Star 
#1 ·
I was driving today and the back tire is so worn out on the back that I almost wiped out. I decided Im worth more than whatever tires cost. I want the absolute best, safest and largest (for the front, I like back stock size) that can fit on my 2009 Custom. And wheres the best place get them? Help before I wipe out.

Rob

PS:Largest front tire with or without front fender.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I recently joined the Metzeler owner's club...
Fast fifty rebate program nets you an additional 50 bucks via a Visa prepaid card on a set ...
Tipped the scales vs other brands for me ...
Got mine from DK...
Best price at the time...

Luckyman77

#3 ·
Rob,
How did you almost wipe out? How did your shot tire contribute?

My Triumph had the original 4 year old tires when I got it and they had gotten hard; the rear locked up too easily a couple of times.
I figure if you're showing threads; that can make a slick spot on the tire.

But, if your tire isn't several years old and it isn't showing threads you should still have plenty lateral and stopping grip.
Actually a smooth tire will have better grip.

Not, trying to bust your b*lls. Most of us have either dropped a bike or came close.

I just think a lot of myths and newbie mistakes about riding can be avoided if we're clear and specific about actual problems.
You know; get rid of the "had to lay her down" and "don't use your front breaks" stuff.
Sometimes equipment is faulty but a lot of people blame the bike as a crutch.

Scott

#5 ·
Interesting observation Scott. These are the original tires with 6k miles on them. They are worn in the back smooth. Maybe that doesn't mean they are slippery. But when I accelerate the tire wants to spin when switching gears and gets a little squirrely.

And I am not a newbie rider. Been riding bikes for 30+ years. But I get what your saying. So maybe the tires don't need replacing? I feel they need it. Your thoughts now?
@Scott_in_TX

#8 ·
The Metzlers on my R3T were 2011 OEM when I bought it in 2014; so they were probably near 5 years old.

Had the rear lock up under moderate braking a couple of times while I was still learning the bike.
When I noticed I had pulled a couple chunks of rubber off the tire I replaced them immediately.

Reactions: Suprarob
#9 ·
Scott is correct about DK ...
Didnt want to break any possible rules on the forum, hence the initials.
I ride a 1600 Classic so your sizes will differ.
Can't wait to get the new rubber on and till warmer weather hits !!!

PMS !!!

Luckyman77

Reactions: Suprarob
#12 ·
Most of the guys that I ride with have Michelin Commander 2s. Based on their reviews and thoughts on them, I decided those are what I am going to get this spring. Just trying to decide on where to get them.

#14 ·
Sorry, I do not know the answer for that.

#16 ·
90/90-21 but you will have to tweak the front fender. I just replaced the tires on my 08 Custom, Michelin Commander 2. Went with stock size up front 80/90-21 and changed the rear to 170/80-15. Wanted a taller tire to keep the rpms down a little. 200/70-15 was my first choice but decided it was not worth the extra money. I was worried about changing the handling with larger tires, glad I went with the sizes I chose. Bike lays over a little easier with 170/80 over the stock 180/70 and can not tell they are narrower.

#17 ·
Pirelli 90/90 front without touching OEM guard.
Pirelli 200/70 rear without problems. Have my second set of these tyres on now. The only handling difference I remember to the original tyres was that I needed to 'muscle' the bike around a bit more with the Pirellis. But it's more 'sure footed' now - more grounded.
Cost was not an option for me either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.