Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Cruise control?

23K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  rkx 
#1 ·
Hey guys..

Just wondering what your using for cruise control on your 900 classics.. Getting the bike ready for some highway trips.. Thanx...

#2 ·
Most common I suspect is actually not cruise control, but a throttle lock. I had a Vista Cruise Vista Cruise Universal Cruise Control (Metric) (1 Inch Bars) on my Custom for a few years. The way I ride I found I didn't use it much. When I changed over to Kuyakyn grips, I just left it off. If I was going to buy one now, I'd go for the BrakeAway BrakeAway Products Motorcycle Cruise Control 7CP01. But first I'd look around for an actual cruise control. Throttle locks can be a wrist saver used correctly, but dangerous if you don't have them adjusted properly.

#5 ·
I use the BrakeAway cruise control on my 900. It's less than $200 - pretty cheap. Works great for an aftermarket cruise-assist when I need to rest my hand for a few seconds.

Reactions: DeputyLoud
#7 ·
What, the $179 for the BrakeAway? That's pretty cheap. And, I don't splice into my harness. I don't add diodes or capacitors or resistors. I never want any tech to have to "figure out" where any wire goes.

#8 ·
I put a Vista Cruise on my Honda, and like it well enough to put one on my Vulcan 900 too. Like SteveJB pointed out, it's a throttle lock, not a cruise control, but I don't ride many miles with one hand (or no hands). The friction is easy to adjust so it doesn't hold tight, just tight enough to rest my right hand; it prevents cramping, and any jolt at all releases it. However, I think looonng trips are in my past; if I could foresee any in my future, I might rethink this.
Just my 2 cents,
Grandpa

#20 ·
I a combination of this and a 30$ throttle lock on my vstar 1100 back in the day, that was more that sufficient to rest my right hand for a few seconds, and even minutes at a time.

#24 ·
I just picked up something similar made by Photon. installed it today after I got back, can't wait to try it, got mine for about 15$ canadian from the local shop.

#13 ·
I have the throttle assistance from Kuryakyn & it works wonders for its price & simplicity!

#15 ·
BigJon, Do you ride alone or with others who may have cruise control? I installed the Breakaway cruise control, which works great for what's it attended, which really helps on those long stretches. If you're riding with someone with cruise that holds steady speed, you'll be adjusting to stay together, as I do with hubby's factory cruise. With the Breakaway, when adjusted just right, I can easily roll on or off without disengaging. But even if you ride alone, slowing down going up a hill or bridge can be a drag, you'll find someone running up your pipes! Really depends on what you want for your own ride.

#17 ·
I purchased the Breakaway cruise from Cruiser Customizing. Even with my smaller hands (lady) I can easily engage and disengage. Hand break will also disengage. Personally, I find myself on rear break before front, so usually don't use the hand break to disengage. Read reviews. :wink2:

#19 ·
I bought a Kuryakyn universal. It was a cake walk to install. Zero mods just plug and play. Took about 20 minutes. As said above, using a cruise in a group takes periodic adjusting. If alone its great. That reason alone lead me to go the cheaper route. Glad I did. Having not invested over a hundred bucks for a more sophisticated version. I

#22 ·
Another good thing about cruise, not just for wrist rest, (say that 3 times fast!) is you can relax your arm and shoulders.

#23 ·
I second the motion about the cramp buster: cheap, simple, works. I use cruise in my car in dry road conditions, but traction is so vital to life on a MC, that if the rear wheel breaks grip on a patch of wet leaves or other slick stuff, I want the bike to know about it and not be revving on me, lest I suddenly be riding sideways.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.