Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Really Interested in Your Views on These Pulley Videos

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  DoomCrewInc 
#1 ·
I did some pulley experiments today. My belt has been making noise, and it was getting worse. Moreover, they were noises I hadn't heard before. I became concerned that my drive pulley might be loose, so I took it apart and looked.

Drive pulley was fine. However, the belt squeaked & chirped on rotation of the rear wheel on the jack. I started the engine and looked at the rear pulley while in first gear.

This video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzaUtD0woLM shows how warped the rear pulley is. The shop that installed it told me after I returned with belt chirp (which they fixed, I think loosening the tension and adding silicone) that the wobble was 35 thousands of an inch, which is just less than a millimeter. They thought that was maybe more than Baron's spec, but they weren't sure. I never called Baron. Well, this video shows the amount of warp. Seen this way, it look like A LOT of warp, to me, but I am interested in your opinion.

This video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjrSE6iw6fY shows another angle.

This video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn_w-DVaekI shows the front pulley, which seems fine, though I'm curious about why the belt is running so far from the left flange. Normally, I think the belt tends to run closer to that flange, almost against it.

I'm curious about your thoughts. I've had the Baron pulleys since around August 1. I have a hard time believing this amount of warp is acceptable, but what do I know. I imagine the warp is a contributing factor to the belt noise I eliminate every 500 miles or so with dry silicone, but the belt noise may go beyond simple rubbing against the rear pulley flange. Others have experienced noise, and just from rotating the rear wheel, I think the noise arises from the belt against the pulley teeth, not simply the belt against the flange.

While I had all this apart, I hosed off the belt and washed it with soap (Dawn) and water. After doing that, there was no noise when rotating the wheel. Then I treated the edge of the belt that might rub against the rear flange with dry silicone and went for a ride. No noise, but from experience, I know it is coming back.

I've gotta decide whether I want to replace this warped rear pulley. Interested in your thoughts.

Happy and safe riding,
Dan

See less See more
#2 ·
I watched the videos Dan, the rear wobble seems to be excessive to me, when you watch the front pulley video, the belt appears to be moving with the rear wobble and changing track. Are you getting any vibration from the rear end at speed.

The squeaking ... well , welcome to pulleys, it seems to be a trait of aftermarket pulleys. The scootworks pulleys do the same thing. There use to be thread after thread on squeaking pulleys. I had a front pulley for a short while, got rid of it and went to the 200 rear for a reason .... tires don't squeak.

#3 ·
I don't notice vibes in the rear. The vibes are less overall at speed than they were before the pulleys. However, around 40 in my new 4th, I hear "wa wa wa wa wa wa." That seems to have increased a bit over time, and I don't hear it in 3rd or 5th (well maybe a faint wa wa wa wa in 5th around 50, maybe.) I can't say it is contributing to vibes, like I said. I think the rear wheel is tracking pretty true, even though the pulley is wobbling. I'm guessing that the wa wa wa wa I hear arises at some point where there is some resonance between the pulley wobble and maybe the engine speed, but that's kind of a wild guess.

I really like the gearing setup now, especially with the air and processor. It's a bummer it causes a continuous need to deal with belt noise. And that wobble --- I might need to have a discussion with Baron about that.

On the positive side, there is no evidence of belt or pulley wear of any kind. Perhaps it is something I will just live with.

#4 ·
I would give Barons a call and send them a link to your videos .... there is nothing to loose, and everything to gain.

#5 ·
They have a one year warranty for defects in workmanship and materials. I'd be pretty surprised if they didn't consider this amount of warp in a pulley to be a defect, but we'll see.

#6 ·
I started a thread on the same issue 2 years ago. http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/49-vulcan-900/112265-cant-good-need-some-advice.html

I can't view YouTube videos here at work, I can only assume yours is the same as mine was, and probably still is. I took may pics before taking it apart. At the end of the thread I had the rear wheel off to verify that the pulley bearing coupling was seated fully. I do know when I put it back together it was flush like it should be, but I did not verify pulley wabble before putting back on the ground and riding. I simply put the oem pulley back on and that was that. Still have the Barons pulley on front, no more squeak. Pretty ridiculous that they can charge over $300 for a defective rear pulley in my eyes. And not to mention the excessive wear I found. Still have yet to hear back from Barons, that's even worse if you ask me. Lame A$$ customer service pisses me off! I have the winter to decide what I want to do. I know I am going to miss the gearing the overdrive pulleys gave me. But only on the freeways, which I do not do for very long on the Vulcan. I do have my touring bike for the long haul trips. Decisions Decisions! Good luck!

#8 ·
Holy wow....that's...just...crazy. I can't believe you don't feel that when you ride. That much run out should feel like a tire way out of balance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.