Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

LED Turn signals

20K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Seawolf_il 
#1 ·
I have a 2015 V900 Classic LT. I am stumped on an issue. I purchased LED replacement bulbs (1157 for the front and 1156 for the aft turn signals. I also changed the Flasher relay for one that is compatible with LED lights. When I tested the new setup, all four lights blink at the same time, like hazards on a car. If I remove two lights,front or rear doesn't matter which ones, they respond as they should: push the turn signal switch to the left and only the left signals activate, and push the turn signal switch to the right only the right signals activate. I was under the assumption that the correct flasher relay would eliminate the fast flash and be able to use LEDs all around. Am I under a misapprehension? Any suggestions?

Jeff

#3 ·
Flasher relay controls the flash rate. The blinking of all for lights at once is cause by crossover of current thru the turn signal indicator. You need to install a diode in that circuit to control the current, remove the turn indicator bulb in the dash or replace the bulb with and LED. I replaced the bulb because is was much easier than installing the diode. Got the bulb from Super Brite. Here's a link for a diode. Load Equalizer Diode Instructions

#8 ·
Please forgive my ignorance, but do I understand you correctly in that replacing the incandescent turn signal indicator dash bulb with an LED will stop the "all four flash" problem when upgrading all 4 turn signal bulbs to LED?

If so, JEEZ that seems like such a far simpler and cheaper solution in comparison to the diode installation. I must be missing something? Like maybe it's very difficult to replace those bulbs?

Also, do you know if the main console illumination light(s) use the same 74-type LED as in your link? At $3-4 a pop I think I'd like to just upgrade all of them while I'm inside the console. Do you see any potential problems with that?

This is a fascinating thread to me.

Thanks

#9 ·
The diode kit really isn't that hard to do if you know how to soldier. When doing my bagger conversion I meant to try something that I forgot to do and put the diode kit in before I remembered. Maybe you could try it before you swap bulbs or do the diodes. I thought that maybe I could take advantage of the glitch and incorporate a 4 way flasher into our bikes since we didn't get that option from the factory. Since removing the indicator bulb all together stops the 4 way glitch, my thought was to splice into the "hot" wire of the indicator and put in a switch. While in the off position, the circuit is open and you'd have normal working signals. When the switch is on, the circuit is closed and when you flip the signal switch all 4 would flash. Seems it would work in theory, but I forgot to test it prior to installing the diodes.

#12 ·
You have to be careful with removing the bulb. In order to pass inspection the bulb needs to work with the turn signals. I like the idea of 4-ways to be safe. I already did the diode kit so I'm set for now.

#15 ·
Where I get my bike inspected (which is every year here in VA) they don't even look at the dash lights. Only the lights that other drivers can see.

#16 ·
I replaced the turn signal indicator light with an LED. Turn signals now work as they should with all four having LED bulbs. However, the turn signal indicator light only illuminates with the right turn signal is selected, not the left. Any ideas?
That is to be expected, when you replace the bulb only.

I explain it in this thread:
http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/73-wrench-heads/170474-electrical-led-turn-signals.html

The LED you put in the dash prevents one side from flashing the other, but it will only work in one direction. You need 2 diodes, one per side, to make the thing flash for both left and right signal. Look at the 2td picture. You can still wire it that way and use either the stock or LED bulb you bought...but you need to buy 2 diodes to make it work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.