Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

do I need a new battery or not?

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  gmer140 
#1 ·
After not being able to ride for over a week fired it up only to hear tick, tick, tick, tick and no start. Hooked up the tender overnight now no issues. First time I've had any problems. 2009 classic bought new in 2010. Big ride this holiday weekend, should I replace battery just to be safe?

#3 ·
It's possible. You can have the battery load tested. You can also do a quick and dirty load test at home with a multi-meter. I never advocate replacing parts that haven't been tested faulty, first.

The quick and dirty test is:

Take a voltage reading across the battery, key off.
Key on, take reading.
Leave key on for a full 5 minutes, take voltage reading.

Post those three readings.

Reactions: bubbaedc
#4 ·
You'll need to run a conduciveness test if you want to check whether your battery is generating enough cranking amps between the plates for starting. As someone already mentioned, you can take the battery to an auto parts store to have it tested for free3. Not all run conduciveness tests though so you might want to call first. With a 5-6 year old battery though, might want to think about replacing anyways.

#6 ·
I'd replace it. My tender told me my battery was OK. I have to admit I hadn't hooked it up for a couple of months though due to frequent riding. It recently started to feel a bit weird when starting but I thought I'd get the rest of the season out of the battery. My wife and I and another couple went on a weekend trip. All was well until we stopped in the middle of nowhere for a break. When we went to leave the bike was dead. After all of the troubleshooting I could do I called AMA for a boost and a possible tow. We tried to boost the bike and it ran fine with the cables attached but stalled as soon as we disconnected them. After trailering the bike into one of the local shops and hooking up an old battery and testing the charging output all was well. Bought a new battery and was on my way. We lost about 3-4 hours of riding that day.

Long story short, if you have any doubt replace the battery.

#7 ·
change battery

Thanks for the replies everyone. Being the cheapskate I am I too thought I could get another couple months with it. I will run it down to battery place today. Found one in stock at the local Napa store for $75 which isn't too bad. No Lowes in the small town I live in. I always buy my stuff online for pricing but don't want to take a chance this weekend if it dies again. Gary

#8 ·
3 readings for Romans

12.7 with key off
11.8 with key on
11.8 with key on after 5 minutes

Do these reading sound good? Not sure what would have caused non start? I will pull cover off and check battery terminals though anyway

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.