vn900 custom mods - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

vn900 custom mods

I've got a 2008 VN900 Custom that I'm looking do some inexpensive mods to gain a little performance and noise. I've done a partial De-baffling on my stock exhaust so far only. I'm very happy with the sound of my bike. Now for the performance I'm thinking of the Redneck Airbox mod that has posted on this forum. My question or concern would be leaning the bike out too much. With the stock exhaust and the airbox mod will I need to buy a fuel programmer??? Or will I be OK? Also the next filter I buy will be the new K&N filter, so I will gain better air flow that way as well.
just looking for your experiences and knowlege to help me decide.....

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 06:46 PM

I too have the same questions... I have aftermarket pipes but want to do the air box mod, I just don't want to have to get a fuel computer as the cost is a bit prohibative at the moment.
I have intentions of changing the stock air filter out with a K&N at the end of this riding season..

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic
Galaxy Silver
12 inch ape hangers
Hard-Krome 2.5 Inch Strippers
Saddleman Explorer 2up seat
Kuraykn Iso Grips
Cobra Short Backrest
Jafrum Leather Saddle Bags
12v Power Point
114 Blue Leds
One Fat Ride!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 10:36 PM

Change the volume of air coming in you're going to need a fuel management system or similar device to correct the now too lean mixture. You will be alright with just an aftermarket exhaust

2008 VN900 Custom
VROC #34157
Leatherworks 312LHD Swingarm Bag & 95 Tool Bag
Cobra Speedster Swept Black (removed all emissions hardware)
Avon Air Cushion Anodized Spike Grips
Scootworks LoRidr adjustable rear lowering kit (@ 3")
Saddleman Solo Seat
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 12:13 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.wagner View Post
I've got a 2008 VN900 Custom that I'm looking do some inexpensive mods to gain a little performance and noise. I've done a partial De-baffling on my stock exhaust so far only. I'm very happy with the sound of my bike. Now for the performance I'm thinking of the Redneck Airbox mod that has posted on this forum. My question or concern would be leaning the bike out too much. With the stock exhaust and the airbox mod will I need to buy a fuel programmer??? Or will I be OK? Also the next filter I buy will be the new K&N filter, so I will gain better air flow that way as well.
just looking for your experiences and knowlege to help me decide.....

Thanks
Your spark plugs will tell you right away if you are running too lean. The porcelain will be stone white with no tan or brown areas. Even worse, there will be little metal specks stuck to the porcelain and the electrodes will have rounded edges. From all I have read just doing the debaffle and opening up the air cleaner doesn't effect the a/f ratio noticeably.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode