Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

STL MO to San Antonio, TX

5K views 28 replies 7 participants last post by  sandcrawler 
#1 ·
Hello everyone!

I'll be riding from Missouri to Texas this summer per the topic. I'm planning on taking two days so interstate is not as desired as a scenic route is. In addition, Google suggests there are toll roads if I take the "faster" way.

The alternate route goes through southern MO, AR, etc to get over there.

Anyone have any experience with with either route. Things I want to see in Oklahoma I'll miss if I go through Arkansas or vice versa?

I'm pretty adventurous so I might even make a loop, hitting both routes, and getting another state on my map as long as the toll fees aren't ridiculous.

Comments, suggestions?

#2 ·
I've been all over southern and southwest MO, Arkansas, etc. All really great riding. Although the best riding is on the west/southwest side. You could even swing a stop off at Eureka Springs and do the pig trail in Arkansas. That's definitely the way to go, in this one persons opinion! Oklahoma is going to be a bit flatter, more boring.

#3 ·
By the way, you could stop off in my neck of the woods and trade all of your nice Voyager chrome bits for my silly Vaquero blacked out bits :D Ha!

#4 ·
Going to San Antonio Huh?

#5 ·
Yep!

I like Romans' suggestion about the Pig Trail but I'm not sure I'll be able to work that into the trip. I've got a few weeks to figure it out.

I'm also going to try to get to the Twisted Sisters and see how much of that I can knock out in less than a day.

#7 ·
Thanks for the tips Poncho! I've heard as much about the road conditions but some of the stops you mention are new.

I was planning on driving down on a wed/thursday to SA, then friday morning over to the sisters for the day with the intent to be back in SA around 5PM or so. Now I'm trying to figure out if it might be better to stop near the sisters instead on Thursday then start there Friday before going into SA. I didn't want to pull my trailer behind me on the route which is why I considered going into SA first.

#8 · (Edited)
yor 1st plan is fine. leave the trailer in SA, do you have a place to secure it? you don't want to be pulling it thru the sisters... the kawboys often hoteled up in Kerrville and launched day rides from there..

start your day early at sun up and go west 1hr to Bandara for Breakfast. Medina is a one store town. 337 has some tite and steep turns plus great vistas so pay attention and don't race.. another hour thru Leakey to Campwood. Note the biker/bar on the left/south side just past Leakey. you will be back here for late lunch? at Campwood gas up and go north. 335 runs down across the Nueces River head waters. it is a very desolate part of tejas. if you get hurt here you will probly die b4 anybody knows where to look.. often I will strip down and jump in the river to cool off. enjoy this desert run. it ends at hiway 41 turn east is boring hispeed blacktop till you get to 336. turn rite south. Again this has some tite twist and decending views of valleys. take it all in with moderate posted road speeds, you will do fine. Note all the signs totals of m/c deaths having occurred. it is mostly ZipSplats in leather space suits using public roads as their personal race course.. I think the squirrels stand in the road and try to make them flinch, hit their brakes and eat cacti burgers.. that's the word going round squirrel 4m..
when you get back to Leakey, either go to that biker/bar or stop at one the local diners on main street and get some lunch. after turn left east 337 back up the mtn to Vanderpool. turn left north on 187 to Lone Star museum. you should be there by 2pm..
best straight ride back is 337 to Medina, 16 east thru Bandera. a couple hours max should put you in SA just as everybody is getting off work. yuk!

but the day ride will be worth it. what date are you doing this? mebbe one or another local kawboy mite wanna ride posse? poncho

#9 · (Edited)
sand'rs,, twisted sisters are a to do bucket ride. definitely worth doin and specialy on a weekday should be mostly only you out there and maybe a few bikes..
there are a ton of otter killer rides not far from where you will be holed up. if you have more daze to kill and want contingency plans. I will write proper route numbers and way points of interest that will knok yor sox..
these are some pretty interesting rides to have in our backyard. almost as vonderbah as them smokies bak east, but not near as crowded. poncho

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/San...96a1acc02b!2m2!1d-99.5550504!2d29.7452234!3e0

#10 ·
That's a very detailed route. I'm not a fan of racing through scenery. I'm there to see it so we'll definitely adhere to speed limits and check everything out.

I'm not sure how secure my trailer will really be. We'll be lodging at a hotel where a couple hundred police are going to be. (Reguladores LEMC). Doesn't mean any of them will be watching my trailer though. I'll most likely find somewhere to lock it up.

I'll be travelling from 15 July - 20 July.
15th - knock out at least 450 miles
16th - Ride into San Antonio
17th - Twisted Sisters then back to SA for supper.
18th - Events around San Antonio
19th - half the trip back to STL
20th - Last leg to STL
21st - Wish I wasn't back at work

I do wish I had more time to spend there but the person riding with me and I both have jobs to get back to. We're just taking the vacation time to run down for our club's national meeting, see the sights, and ride back. I knew we had to work the sisters in somehow since we were so close.

Thanks again Poncho! I'd gladly buy you a beer if we can get together down there.

#11 ·
That's a very detailed route. I'm not a fan of racing through scenery. I'm there to see it so we'll definitely adhere to speed limits and check everything out.
Thanks again Poncho! I'd gladly buy you a beer if we can get together down there.
kool yor riding w/a buddy. is mor better. If you ride near to Austin on yor way back we can meet up somewhere..
July 12, I will have just gotten back from Epic 10 day 3500 smile tour de Kanyons utah with 9 Kawboys. so may be well worn out by then. but still will drink a beer. poncho

#15 ·
Two lane roads away from the cities and the interstates are what it's all about! I'm blessed to live in one of those small towns off of a two-lane road.

#17 ·
Talimena Scenic byway is a good ride. It spans AR and OK. Hwy 7 in AR is cool. Someone mentioned the Pig Trail which I find a bit overrated. It's basically a curvy, tree tunnel. AR is like two different states depending on which side you're on. Similar to MO.
Thanks for the tip! Unfortunately Talimena looks like it's too far off course for a day that's already going to be 500+ miles. I'm definitely going to add it to my bucket list though. Looks like a perfect three day weekend getaway!

#18 ·
Sandcrawler,

I know I'm late to the discussion and game plans may be hard to change.
But it sounds like you're using Google maps for a bit of your planning and Google maps wants you to take I35.

I know others have said to use backroads; but I wanted to state.
AT NO TIME SHOULD YOU BE ON I35 SOUTH OF DFW!
Especially anywhere near Austin.

I'm not familiar enough with east TX to suggest a route from experience.
But if you're going home through OK using Google as a template.

Take 281 out of San Antonio up to Jacksboro; 59 to St Jo; 82 to Sherman, then you can pick back up the Google route.

Be advised, in mid June there was some construction just south of Lampasas with a "follow me" truck. Took about a 15 minute wait, then slow for few miles.
But it still beats the parking lot that is I35 for miles and miles near Austin and sporadic the rest of the way.

Have fun and ride safe.

#22 ·
AT NO TIME SHOULD YOU BE ON I35 SOUTH OF DFW! Especially anywhere near Austin.
But it still beats the parking lot that is I35 for miles and miles near Austin and sporadic the rest of the way..
even Austin folks avoid I35 at all cost.. we complained for 20yrs to get the state to build a bypass to get the F'ng trucks out of our 1 and only north/south route thru this town.. So finally they bilt 130 loop and wouldn't you know it the SumBiches turned it into a Toll road and now the trucks wont use it.. so we are stuck with 24/7 traffic jam.. while 130 sits empty, cost $25 just to ride one way around Austin..
I am blaming every Kalifornicating LibTurd moving here for turning our gov against the folks and squeezing them for every nickel like they fleeced the west coast into oblivion.. we need to line em all up and shoot em back to pacific ocean.

#19 ·
Thanks for the input Scott! My plans for the trip back are so flexible they could even change while I'm down there. The folks riding with me trust them to get them home safely and efficiently and I was going to ask for more input once I get down there and talk to even more locals.

I really didn't want to take interstate the whole way back either but wanted to hit some new scenery, especially up in the ozarks, without getting too far off the beaten path or extending the trip past 10 hours or so.

I'll keep scouring the map and take all suggestions into consideration.

Safe Riding, Y'all!

#20 ·
Current alternate based on input so far: So far I'm Liking this route, especially getting to see something besides traffic

Scott's Route: 281 -> 59 -> 82 -> 75 -> 69 and stop somewhere around Eufaula

Second day should be an easy trip on 69 -> 412 -> I 49 -> I 44

#21 ·
There's a certain rugged beauty to west TX, (not to be confused with FAR west TX! LOL)

But if you're wanting to get some time in the Ozarks; don't bother with my route or OK in general.
East TX and AR will be a lot more scenic.

Scott

#23 ·
I just wanted to drop in a thank everyone for the trip advice. We avoided I-35 as suggested. 2 riders and 1 chase vehicle right down through AR, then down through Tyler, etc and only hit a short bit of interstate getting right into San Antonio. Google did take us down one "rough" road, the OSR, which had a high enough speed limit but jiggled my kidneys loose.

On the way back I picked up 2 more riders. We took 281 almost up to jacksboro then cut across to 75/69 and up through a few smaller roads into MO and hit I-44 East. Beautiful country up 281 and on 69 south of Eufaula OK. With that said, those little towns on 69 in OK are certainly speed traps. We were running the speed limit through them all since my GPS app (waze) was constantly on alert, and for good reason. There were one or two cops working the roads in each of those little towns. All in all we MIGHT[/] have spent an extra hour riding to avoid I-35. That hour, and fewer miles, may well have been lost baking on that highway and we wouldn't have been able to enjoy actually seeing the countryside.

Unfortunately I never got to make it up to the three sisters, so that'll have to be on my bucket list for next time I get down that way which could be a few years. We did ride out to Luckenbach, had lunch there, got a group picture with that longhorn, and signed the Willie Nelson canvas.

Safe riding, y'all!

#24 ·
Glad to hear you had a good trip. :)

The sisters and basically all the county roads, state highways and farm to markets around Kerrville are the cream of the crop for TX.

Now you need to post a few pics.

#27 ·
I do owe everyone pics. Sorry for the delay... My family may have taken a bunch of pics. I need to get their cameras and check to see if they got any good ones. I had to keep my hands on the bars most of the time =)

#28 ·
Here are a few pictures from the ride down to SA, hill country on the way to Luckenback, and our group at the Alamo.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.