Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Stop n Go Law for Motorcyclists

7K views 23 replies 20 participants last post by  andyvh1959 
#1 ·
Anybody live in a state that lawfully allows motorcycles to stop at a red light and go through it while still red? Rider safety and signal sensors failing to recognize that a MC is present are two reasons I can think of for allowing it. I'm often concerned about getting "rear ended" while waiting at a signal. :)

#2 ·
old,

Here's the law that Minnesota has on the books.

MN Red Light Law
169.06 SIGNS, SIGNALS, MARKINGS.
Subd. 9.Affirmative defense relating to unchanging traffic-control signal.
(a) A person operating a bicycle or motorcycle who violates subdivision 4 by entering or crossing an intersection controlled by a traffic-control signal against a red light has an affirmative defense to that charge if the person establishes all of the following conditions:
(1) the bicycle or motorcycle has been brought to a complete stop;
(2) the traffic-control signal continues to show a red light for an unreasonable time;
(3) the traffic-control signal is apparently malfunctioning or, if programmed or engineered to change to a green light only after detecting the approach of a motor vehicle, the signal has apparently failed to detect the arrival of the bicycle or motorcycle; and
(4) no motor vehicle or person is approaching on the street or highway to be crossed or entered or is so far away from the intersection that it does not constitute an immediate hazard.
(b) The affirmative defense in this subdivision applies only to a violation for entering or crossing an intersection controlled by a traffic-control signal against a red light and does not provide a defense to any other civil or criminal action.

#3 ·
We do not have it here in Ga., but I frequent Tn. which does allow it. There you must wait a reasonable time for it to change. If it does not change after 2 cycles or about 2 minutes, you can proceed if safe and does not effect other traffic. If you are involved in an accident doing so, you are at fault reguardless of how it happened. I got stuck at a light here in Ga. last weekend that would not change, had about 12-15 cars behind me. Next car behind me ran it after awhile. A couple minutes later I did also. After the car then behind me pulled up, it changed, I saw the light turn yellow in my mirror, then red.Once the car pulled up to where I was, it changed. I sat there about 5-7 minutes waiting.

#4 ·
Here in MO; we have a similar law to what's been posted. You cannot stop, put a foot down, then take off. You have to wait an "unreasonable amount of time". Meaning you've been stuck there for a couple of minutes and it's obvious the light isn't going to change. The law is meant to solve the issue of motorcycles not tripping the magnetic sensors under the street. Some states have laws requiring a set amount of 'cycles'. The only time I've "used it" though was a light that didn't cycle. I was turning left across a four-lane state highway, which; of course, has a light. All four lanes had a green light and the left-turn lane, which would've caused the eastbound lanes lights to turn red so I could make the turn, is always red unless there's a car there (no reason to stop traffic for an unoccupied lane; especially when traffic is moving 65mph!). After sitting for a couple of minutes, I finally went through when there was no traffic.

#6 ·
Texas has no such provision. There are traffic lights in my town that will not "see" my bike. At those intersections, I try to line up directly over the "V" ( > ) where the pavement cut lines cross, that is where the sensor is. It has worked once or twice, when it doesn't I will go on when the roads are clear, if not I move up as much as I can and the car behind me moves up, then the sensor finds the car..... Either way it is a hassle, because just like above if I am involved in a wreck it's my baby if I live through it....

#7 ·
Anybody have one of these? I have thought of getting one but don't know if it really works.

Attachments

#11 ·
I put one of those units on my bike about 4 yr`s ago.... It worked fine when I lived in calif...and I think it works fine here in Arizona...I have mine zip tied to the frame under the right floor board....Just make sure its positioned over the sensor in the road when you stop....:)

#9 ·
Yes in TN we can go on a red light after coming to a complete stop and ensuring it is safe to proceed if the light has not changed after a cycle. Once you know the roads you learn which lights will not recognize you so then you are prepared to go if it is safe.

#10 ·
In Illinois 625 ILCS 5/11-306 (c) covers this. It's legal in any city with a population less than 2 Million, which I think just outlaws the practice in Chicago. After a 120 second wait a motorcyclist can proceed as long as it's safe to do so.

#12 ·
Depending on the type of sensor, you can just slap a super strong magnet on the bottom of your bike. I suspect that's what the previously mentioned device basically is.

Dropping the science for those that are interested:
Some sensors use an electromagnetic field to detect if a car has rolled up. Since a car has a bunch of conductive materials, it will significantly change the electromagnetic field produced by the sensor. The sensor detects this change and realizes a car is present. Since a motorcycle has far less conductive material, the change in the electromagnetic field is significantly smaller and more difficult to detect. If you slap a really strong magnet (such as a neodymium magnet) on the bottom of your bike, that will provide a significantly greater change in the electromagnetic field and will increase your chances of tripping the signal.

#15 ·
Does not appear to apply to NY.

Arkansas – In effect since 2005, state law allows a motorcyclist to proceed with caution, after coming to a full and complete stop, through a red light that fails to detect the bike. (Arkansas Code section 27-52-206)

Idaho – (2006) If a signal fails to operate after one cycle of the traffic light that a motorcyclist may proceed, using due caution and care, after coming to a full and complete stop at the intersection. (Statute 49-802)

Illinois – (2012) Permits a driver of a motorcycles or bicycle facing a red light that fails to change within a reasonable period of time of not less than 120 seconds to proceed after yielding the right-of-way to any oncoming traffic. However, this law doesn’t apply to municipalities of over 2,000,000 people – such as Chicago. (625 ILCS 5/11-306)

Minnesota – (2002) A person operating a bicycle or motorcycle who runs a red light has an affirmative defense if the driver first came to a complete stop, the traffic light stayed red for an unreasonable amount of time and appeared not to detect the vehicle and no motor vehicles or people were approaching the street. (Statute 169.06)

Missouri – (2009) State law tells both motorcyclists and bicyclists that run red lights that they have an affirmative defense if they brought their vehicle to a complete stop, the light was red for an unreasonable time period, and there were no motor vehicle or person approaching. (Statute 304.285)

Nevada – (2013) Those using motorcycles, bicycles, mopeds, and tri-mobiles are allowed to proceed through an intersection with a red light after waiting for two traffic light cycles, and they yield to other vehicle traffic or pedestrians. (Statute 484B.307)

North Carolina – (2007) Motorcyclists are permitted to move cautiously through a steady red light after coming to a complete stop and waiting a minimum of three minutes and if no other vehicle or pedestrians are approaching the intersection. (NCGS 20-158)

Oklahoma – (2010) Motorcycles can proceed cautiously through a steady red light intersection after a making a complete stop and if no other motor vehicle or person is approaching the roadway. (Statute 47-11-202)

South Carolina – (2008) After making a complete stop and waiting for a minimum of 120 seconds, the driver of a motorcycle, moped, or bicycle may treat a steady red light that doesn’t change as a stop sign and proceed with caution. (S.C. Code 56-5-970)

Tennessee – (2003) After coming to a complete stop, motorcyclists and bicyclists may proceed through a steady red light when it is safe to do so. (Tennessee Traffic Control Signals 55-8-110)

Virginia – (2011) Drivers of motorcycles, mopeds, and bicycles may move with caution through non-responsive red lights as long as they yield the right-of-way to others approaching the intersection, and have come to a complete stop for two complete light cycles or 120 seconds, whichever is shorter.(Statute 46-2-833)

Wisconsin – (2006) A motorcycle, moped or bicycle is permitted to run a steady red light after making a complete stop and waiting at least 45 seconds and then yields the right–of-way to any vehicular traffic or pedestrians using the intersection. (Statute 346.37)

#17 ·
Those devices, magnets do not work. Its just a money maker.

Its the mass of metal that a car has that sets off the sensor. A bike doesnt have enough metal. I heard you can put your kickstand down and it "might" help.

Dont waste you cash!

#20 ·
Yes magnets do work, if you have a big enough magnet. Some of those devices don't work well at all, though, from what I have heard. Some are not magnets or electromagnets, so I'm not sure what they are supposed to be doing to increase detection.

I had a couple of moderate sized magnets (1" x 2" x 3/4") on my Sabre and they made a huge difference in tripping signals. There were 3 lights on my commute that would not recognize my bike before I put them on. After, all three always changed when I pulled up.

A good, cheap magnet is the round magnet sold at Harbor Freight.

4" Magnetic Ground Block

I don't think it is a rare earth magnet (very very strong magnets) but it should work for most bikes. Figuring out where to put it on a Voyager or Vaquero is the problem.

#18 ·
Keep in mind there is no "sensor" in the pavement - only a continuous loop of wire that connects the box (sensor) at the side of the road. There are many strategies for activating the loop detector. I have found that pulling straight over one of the wires is the best bet (parallel and right over a saw cut, not perpendicular to a saw cut), but still does not always work.

#21 ·
I have run many vehicle controlled signal lights in Wisconsin since 2006 and have had no issues. But then, according to the law, you must be the only vehicle at the intersection for the law to apply, so if used correctly you should not have an issue.

As for the magnets, I went to a local Fleet Farm store and bought a pair of "cow magnets" for less than $5. Stuck them to the steel centerstand on my 94 BMW and it did seem to help to trigger the magnetic field of the traffic controlled signal lights.

#22 ·
Yep I know its not a sensor, its an inductor. I didnt want to get to technical.

And I'm glad those magnets work for you.
But I stand by what I posted.
Its not magnetism, it's mass of metal that "detects" the car and makes the light change for you.

If you want to relieve yourself of some cash to try it, go ahead. I wont debate if it works or not. I'll just state how it works.

Me, I'll just wait a minute and then go through the light.

#23 · (Edited)
Yep I know its not a sensor, its an inductor. I didnt want to get to technical.

And I'm glad those magnets work for you.
But I stand by what I posted.
Its not magnetism, it's mass of metal that "detects" the car and makes the light change for you.

If you want to relieve yourself of some cash to try it, go ahead. I wont debate if it works or not. I'll just state how it works.

Me, I'll just wait a minute and then go through the light.
Faraday's law states “that a voltage is induced in a circuit whenever relative motion exists between a conductor and a magnetic field and that the magnitude of this voltage is proportional to the rate of change of the flux.” I won't bother to list the formulas that are used to calculate the inductance change with the change in magnetic flux. Point is, induction and magnetism go hand in hand. Electric motors would not work if this were not true. Nuff said. Folks can choose to believe you or what has been know to exist for over 150 years. I'm done.

#24 ·
Go to Fleet Farm and buy a "cow magnet" for $5. Stick it on the bottom of your bike frame (hopefully it's steel) along with some epoxy and it will disrupt the magnetic field the sensor coil in the pavement is transmitting. When the system senses a change in the magnetic flux it triggers the lights.

And in WI it has been legal to run the red in any direction you want to go, since about 2006. I have done it many times.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.