Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Need the handlebars closer to me

6K views 29 replies 17 participants last post by  fawlty99 
#1 ·
I have a 08 9 classic. Seems i must be short armed (glad thats all that is short).
I like the handles bars closer to me by about a inch or so, when i make slow speed left turns, i cant help but twist the throttle.

Not looking to rise the bars up. Just back.

I dont find any help on a search.

#3 ·
Could always come in hot and hold the clutch and do a one handed turn:D.

I would assume there are risers out there they are factory height but with a bit of a pull back. I have never had that problem. Actually my knees get in to the bars a little bit on parking lot turns on the V2K.

#7 ·
#11 ·
Those look like the socket risers, you could buy your own bolt if you needed.
But, before you drill your tree do a search for barons riser adapter.

Scott

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#13 ·
I didn't have to drill, direct 20 min swap. Locktite and a wrench, super easy and I'm not super mechanical. As for the question of quality, I'd buy them again in a second, very impressed.

#17 ·
or you can try changing your seat to a saddleman and that will move you up an inch , that way you wont have to get risers because i think risers or your only bet aside from changing to newer bars. The risers will move you up and come back about an inch

#18 ·
Very good point. I am not happy with the stock seat as it is. Will be doing some long trips this year and this seat offers no back support to me.
So maybe I should look into a different seat before i change the bars.

This is the reason I love this forum. It helps/makes you think if other options.

#22 ·
I got a set of Baron's risers ( 4” of rise and 1 ½” of pullback
) http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/kickback-risers-various-cruiser-models/part/BA-7410U along with a Mustang seat with backrest http://www.mustangseats.com/Product...r-Backrest-Kawasaki-Vulcan-900-Classic-Custom.

Both proved to be great with my 08 VN900LT. The seat did rise me up which I found a bonus. More leg stretch. As for the forward push, I find because of the way it's made (more pronounced in the tailbone area), much more comfortable and I can actually sit farther back then the stock seat.

As for the risers, I was able to have them such that I did not necessitate re-routing the wires. I also added a set of ISO grips followed with a few end rings and end weights. They add another 1 1/4 inches to the length of the handlebars...another bonus..plus help dampen vibs.

I can sit very comfortably for hours...great for my back and buns and an easy reach to the bars.

Also have a "Brake-Away" cruise control module and life is good.

#23 · (Edited)
I have a pair of HR2 risers from Refined Cycle on my 900 Custom. I don't know if/how they'll fit on the Classic but, they'll do what you want -- 2" back, with little or no rise. I just started a new thread in the Vulcan 900 forum that has pictures of the HR2's FYI, along with a link to the eBay sales page: http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32438

They're more expensive than some of the ones others have mentioned so far in this thread, but they're good quality, IMHO.

As for the Mustang seat -- I found that the Vintage w/backrest moved me up 1" and BACK 1" compared to stock (this was on a 900 Custom, though), which is why I bought the HR2 risers..

#26 ·
$13 risers

I just bought the cheap E-bay 2" riser adapters thanks to Brichm03.

Here is a picture of them on my bike. They are simply 2" extending sleeves. Once added to your existing original hardware, they give you a total of 4" of rise. The angle provides a little bit of pull back (about .5"). I figured I'd try it for $13.

I like the rise, since previously I had to rotate the bars up & forward to keep them from hitting my knees on tight turns. Now with the risers, I was able to rotate the bars back down to level. This provided me a little more pull back.

These fit with no issues with the cables. The cables do not have any additional play to go any larger on the risers.

One issue: The bolts that came with these did not fit. The heads of the bolts were too large and didn't recess into the handlebar bracket. I had to go to the local hardware store to get the proper 4.5" bolts.

I hope the picture helps.
Cheers, ..

Attachments

#28 ·
I just bought the cheap E-bay 2" riser adapters thanks to Brichm03.

Here is a picture of them on my bike. They are simply 2" extending sleeves. Once added to your existing original hardware, they give you a total of 4" of rise. The angle provides a little bit of pull back (about .5"). I figured I'd try it for $13.

I like the rise, since previously I had to rotate the bars up & forward to keep them from hitting my knees on tight turns. Now with the risers, I was able to rotate the bars back down to level. This provided me a little more pull back.

These fit with no issues with the cables. The cables do not have any additional play to go any larger on the risers.

One issue: The bolts that came with these did not fit. The heads of the bolts were too large and didn't recess into the handlebar bracket. I had to go to the local hardware store to get the proper 4.5" bolts.

I hope the picture helps.
Cheers, ..
Thanks! Will order these tomorrow, for the money it's worth a shot - the only crappy thing is shipping to Toronto costs almost twice as much as the parts!

#27 ·
Thanks FlyNavy, saves me a trip out in the cold to take pictures. Lookin good!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.