Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Crankcase vent

22K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  1C🕶️LMOFO 
#1 ·
I noticed that the tube attached to the crankcase vent came off at some point recently. Other than the oil that found its way inbetween the cylinders, is there anything bad that could have happened? My guess is no, but I was just curious.

I'll get it reconnected tomorrow and take it on a good long ride on Monday since its supposed to reach 60 degrees. Maybe I'll get adventurous and take a ride out to the Kancamangus Highway.

Sent from my Desire HD using Motorcycle.com Free App

#3 ·
Yeah, I didn't think it was much of a big deal other than cleaning up the oil and getting the air cleaner assembly off to reattach it.

I was just relieved that the oil I saw wasn't from anything serious. Such a relief.

#4 ·
A good fix for that is to attach a longer line with an inline filter on the end and replace it as needed when it becomes too dirty. Run that longer line toward the back left side so it can drain onto the road away from the rear tire. In Cali models it attaches to the EPA system components.

#5 ·
I've run mine with a longer hose and put it up high just to the left of the radiator. Placing is higher, I've been told, precludes it from spitting liquid oil out. It is there to only vent the crankcase from the piston rings blowby.

#6 · (Edited)
It will still spew out but the purpose for the inline filter is to retain as much of the oil and once you see the filter dirty and any small oil trace amounts get by that it is time to change it. I've seen people place it there next to the radiator's left top side like you have or to the rear so that any trace amounts do not get on the rider and so the way it is placed depends on preference. Since that line usually goes back into the air filter housing it requires the owner to periodically check the cleanliness of the filter in that area. If the air filter is not periodically checked for cleanliness then the filter becomes saturated and extremely dirty at that area. Regardless of which method is used it requires periodic checks and maintenance. That vent line looks nice with an inline filter in it and you keep the air filter cleaner longer so that's a plus too.

#7 ·
When I modded my intake I also made a new crankcase breather that doesn't get oil all over like my hose did.

I made a trap out of PCV and got a breather from Advanced auto, it would work for a non-modded air box also , just plug the hole in the back of the filter box. Cleans up the look of the engine also with out that hose over the top of the crankcase.

Attachments

#8 ·
God Bless America for good old-fashioned American ingenuity! XCR600, that's a good fix too which is why I always say to each his own because our own indivicual work on our rides is what really counts. Ride it like you stole it!

#10 ·
Well I got the silly vent hose reattached. A mild pain in the ass, since its tough to reach. Had to take the tank and carb off. BTW, wouldn't life be better if Kawasaki had a better, more reachable, way to attach the carb.

#16 ·
might have a pic somewhere, on my other PC - or can take one this weekend maybe,
but it is on the front of the rear cylinder. in between the two cylinders and lower than the carb. comes off the block, under the fins. It's a screwed in fitting with a hose on it.

#18 ·
I noticed that the tube attached to the crankcase vent came off at some point recently. Other than the oil that found its way inbetween the cylinders, is there anything bad that could have happened? My guess is no, but I was just curious.

I'll get it reconnected tomorrow and take it on a good long ride on Monday since its supposed to reach 60 degrees. Maybe I'll get adventurous and take a ride out to the Kancamangus Highway.

Na. Might have IF it was really dusty during the time it was off. Oil vapors are pulled into the engine via that tube and burned.
A good fix for that is to attach a longer line with an inline filter on the end and replace it as needed when it becomes too dirty. Run that longer line toward the back left side so it can drain onto the road away from the rear tire. In Cali models it attaches to the EPA system components.
I've run mine with a longer hose and put it up high just to the left of the radiator. Placing is higher, I've been told, precludes it from spitting liquid oil out. It is there to only vent the crankcase from the piston rings blowby.
Is the vent hose even needed for the crankcase to operate,if the emissions concept was never adopted to make people believe it is helping save the world would they be a vent hose,if it needs to vent from pressure build up then something like a vent/cap used on every transmission in my mind would be ideal and if not needed at all then plug hole and eliminate the whole thing .......mechanically needed or can it be plugged completely ?