Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums - View Single Post - Make that cheap Jack/Lift fit!
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Wild Bill
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2011 Vulcan 900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 903
Make that cheap Jack/Lift fit!

I recently bought a Torin jack off of craigs list. Build quality is so so similar to what I have seen on the harbor freight steel jack for around $90. I have a 900 custom.

A few issues with these cheap jacks.
1) The lifting rails are too short. You can just get the jack to reach from one side of the frame to the other. A good bump and the bike could get pushed off the jack.

2) The 900 engine dips below the frame tubes so the flat lifting rails are actually lifting the bike by the engine and not the frame.

Solution. I added some scrap hardwood strips to extend the rails and provide a gap for the engine so that the jack would be lifting the bike by the frame and not the engine.

Next issue now the jack is too high to fit underneath the bike.

Solution. I made a small ramp (8"-10" long ) out of a 2x6 scap. Run the front tire up on the ramp and use another small scrap 2X4 or 2x6 to go under the kick stand. Problem solved the jack fits under the frame!

If you use one of these cheap jacks be sure to use tie downs as these stands are not all that steady. Also if you are doing anything like removing the rear wheel or rear wheel and swing arm like I did recently, be sure to put blocks under the front wheel. The front of the bike will want to tip forward when the rear tire is removed. It could get very ugly if the bike and jack etc. tip forward/over.

WB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1092.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	180106   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1091.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	180114  

Last edited by Wild Bill; 12-29-2016 at 01:17 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome