Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Tour trunk and bracket choices.

30K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  RainDragon 
#1 ·
I would like to get a tour trunk for my 07 Nomad. I came across this at ridebikegear

Does anyone have an opinion on it? I was looking for the Harley-Davidson Tour Pak, as was suggested by someone else, when I came across the one above.

My bike is Black and Gold. Would there be a trunk that would match my gold saddlebags?

Could someone direct me to the bracket I would need to mount a trunk?

Thanks,
David

#3 ·
#6 · (Edited)
David, I had the same trunk on my 07 Nomad. It looks and works great considering what you pay for it. It is smaller than an HD TourPak. Two half or 3/4 helmets fit but two full face only if they are small. You can get the rack at the Wompus site http://wompusracks.com/. I just traded the Nomad for a Voyager but I still have the trunk and Wompus rack. Send me a PM if you are interested.

#14 ·
David, I had the same trunk on my 07 Nomad. It looks and works great considering what you pay for it. It is smaller than an HD TourPak. Two half or 3/4 helmets fit but two full face only if they are small. You can get the rack at the Wompus site http://wompusracks.com/. I just traded the Nomad for a Voyager but I still have the trunk and Wompus rack. Send me a PM if you are interested.

RAINDRAGON
I am interested in your wompus rack and tour pack. I have the 03 1500 nomad. tour pack should be fine but not sure if the wompus rack is different for the 1600 and 1500. I'll do some research and see.

I sent you a PM and my email ad. Contact me if you still have it and want to get rid of it.

Thanks

TO ALL OTHERS. Besides the wompus rack, what luggage rack that goes to where the sissy bar mounts is the strongest? I believe the tubed ones should definitely be stronger. BUt I hear horror stories about guys bending Cobra and others racks. I'd hate to spent that money then bend it!!

I'm going back and forth between a luggage rack and luggage, or a tour pack. So if I go with just a luggage rack I want to get one that will hold a tour pack later if I wanted to add it.

#7 ·
Those are a bit smaller than a Harley tour pak, but seem to work well!

I've got this one on my 900;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOR-HARLEY-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item46049e6622&vxp=mtr

It's a 1:1 clone of a Harley king tour-pak.

The main reasons I prefer it:

1- Big as they come, as far as I've found. Don't think you can even get a bigger touring trunk

2- Has TONS of available accessories; lights, antennas, liners, organizer liners, variety of luggage racks, chrome trims, alternative hinges, backrests etc. etc.

3- Despite it being a replica, it's still very sturdy and easily carries a full load of luggage and luggage on top.

4- Wife LOVES the backrest. She says it's a whole new level of rear-seat comfort.

There are lots of replica tour paks out there, Mutazu has one, Reckless has one. It's all the same just go with the best construction you can find for your budget! Also note what things you'll need to add on! That one for $400 comes painted black, with hinges, lock, keys, and backrest.

You'll need to custom mount it. The easiest way would be to mount a wompas rack on your bike and drill the appropriate holes. Mine is mounted on a custom-welded bracked made by the previous owner (I got it second hand off of another VN900 owner). You could probably even mount it to a luggage rack IF you have a luggage rack that mounts without a sissy bar (as the sissy bar will need to be removed)..

When mounting, have your passenger (if any) sit on the bike, so you can find a comfortable spot for it to be.

Just my 2 cents. But after having the Harley tour-pak, I can't go back! Lots of my riding buddies have the Mutazu and other similar trunks. Good trunks! But they are just so small in comparison, and it is such a luxury to have that much room. I also think the Harley tour-pak looks the best, especially when you put a luggage rack on it, tail-lights and accent lights on it, etc.

I can fit 2 full face helmets, wifes purse, a jacket, couple pairs of gloves, sunglasses, few odd tools, bottle of water, etc. all in that thing at the same time. It is HUGE!

#9 ·
I know this thread is a week or so old but thought would throw 2 cents.
I just put a trunk like the one at Ridebike gear but i bought off E-Bay only paid $115 with free shipping. I knew these were ABS and would be somewhat flimsy and i was right but for the price it will do until i can upgrade later.

I took off my pass backrest and left just the luggage rack 8x8 attached trunk to it looks awsome and gained alot of storage.

One thing i would like to pass on is im my opinion these ABS trunks are as I said flimsy and although more stabile when closed ther is no way i will let my wife or anybody lean into this trunk i just don't believe they are no way as strong as a conventional backrest.

i will build a steel plate that rises up inside my trunk and it will act as the strength that is needed for a person to lean into.

Just my opinion just remember plastic gets brittle the more it is exposed to the sun.

#12 ·
I have a Ride Bike Gear trunk on my 08 Nomad. Very flimsy plastic. I reinforced from Backrest to latch with a 5 in. wide Steel plate. Bent to conform to the inside of the Trunk. Works great! I took my OEM Back Rest off. Replaced with short vertical demensional OD Pipe. Drilled it to match the Brackets on the Bike. Then I Drilled a extra hole in the Luggage Rack mounting Arms to Lower Lugage Rack. Make sure this Hole is correct to match OEM Bolts through Pipe and Brackets. Mount aluminum plate on the Luggage Rack. Find comfort zone for the Passenger. Drill inside the Trunks inforcement Plate, bolt to aluminum Luggage Rack Plate. Done.

#13 ·
The trunk itself is plenty strong enough to lean against, but the stock luggage rack is only designed to carry 5lbs. Mounting a trunk to it is not advised unless you only carry light loads. I would be very cautious of using the trunk as a backrest in that configuration. On the other hand, the trunk mounted to the Wompus rack is very strong and stable and will carry a heavy load. Once the lid is closed it is perfectly capable of supporting the weight of a person leaning against the backrest. My wife is a large woman and it worked great for her. A few hints: (1) Make sure you put the mounting bolts through some metal straps (not just washers) inside the trunk to distribute the weight across more surface and prevent breaking the plastic around the bolt holes; (2) Put some weather stripping around the inside of the trunk lid to make a more solid fit and eliminate rattling from engine vibration.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.