Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

ST1300 vs FJR

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  JerryJ 
#1 ·
I'm maybe thinking of upgrading to either a Honda ST1300 or Yamaha FJR. Any opinions? This is the time of year to buy. I've ridden neither and most of my experience is on my current 900LT. Obviously either of these bikes are faster and smoother at high speeds over the V900 but then the 9 is easy to ride and more relaxing. There are a few left-overs within a days drive. I am a little worried though about a particular ST1300 low miles year 2012, old fuel issues.
Thanks for your input.
Jerry

#2 ·
The ST1300 isn't sold in the U.S. anymore. Any leftover in dealer stock is more than a couple of years old. I'd worry about the rubber, battery and if it had been put into service; the fluids.

The ST1300 is/was a very good sport touring bike, but it isn't up to date by todays tech or looks.
The FJR was recently updated with electronic suspension and traction control.
If it were me I'd go with a recent low mileage FJR ES.

Scott

#3 ·
Jerry,

Both bikes are well liked in the Long Distance riding community. While the Honda is nearly bulletproof the FJR is massively more popular and has a better list of available 'farkles'.

I have a friend that bought a FJR last year and is loving it. I, having ridden neither, can only go with that I read on those forums and riders that have them. And from the feedback I get I'd probably give the FJR a try.

What is your reason for moving from a cruiser to a sport/touring?

Hope this helps.

#4 ·
Reason??

Bill, you asked why I was thinking about the change in life. Well it's winter and I'm bored plus I want (not need) a smoother bike. Since my wife got a Vulcan 500 LTD I noticed that the V5 is so much smoother, quieter and faster than my V9, thus I'm jealous. I've had the V9 for 2 years now and have put 20,000+ miles on it and maybe it's just time to move on.
Yesterday, I rode 50 high speed hwy miles to check on a 2010 FJR. I really paid attention to vibration etc on the 9. Yes it will do 75+mph easily but not happily. I want (not need) a bike that is happy at high hwy speed. The FJR will easily do any (loose my license) speed and at legal hwy speed it will give 50+mpg vs 45mpg if I'm lucky on the 9.
But then once I actually ride an FJR maybe I won't like it and be content with the 9. Who knows?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.