Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 10:31 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
It's a shame. Not my favorite brand but, they were cool to see on the road.

"Failed Attempt" might be a bit harsh to describe a brand that was set to have it's 20th anniversary this year. Their machines won a number of awards, they have a trophy case full of "Cruiser of the Year" and "Bike of the Year" and similar titles from various magazines and; up until the last couple of years, they were a serious threat to Milwaukee, some quarters selling more than the century-old stalwart. I wonder if Indian, huge improvements to the H-D line, and the recent prevalence in premium Japanese touring motorcycles, saw to their demise. Victory represented some pretty cool technological improvements, but then failed to; to my eyes, update or change anything in recent years.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 11:50 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2004 VN2000A
Displacement/CC's: 2053
Color: Purple... Soon to be Black... Maybe...
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post

"Failed Attempt" might be a bit harsh to describe a brand that was set to have it's 20th anniversary this year. Their machines won a number of awards, they have a trophy case full of "Cruiser of the Year" and "Bike of the Year" and similar titles from various magazines and; up until the last couple of years, they were a serious threat to Milwaukee, some quarters selling more than the century-old stalwart. I wonder if Indian, huge improvements to the H-D line, and the recent prevalence in premium Japanese touring motorcycles, saw to their demise. Victory represented some pretty cool technological improvements, but then failed to; to my eyes, update or change anything in recent years.
AGREED!

They did have some pretty great accomplishments. But I'd have to also agree their penetration into the industry and market share was not the greatest. Sad to see any bike brand drop off, but business is business.

"Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly... but that little f*ker is pretty damn quick!!"

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 11:55 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
I liked a lot of what Victory was doing.

One of the brands downfalls was focusing too much on the "big dog".
They seemed a little like a jealous adolescent. They were always comparing themselves to HD then pointing out every aspect that was "better".
Then making sure their designs were VERY different to HD.
So, it was kinda liked they hated them but wanted to be them.

Of course that wasn't enough of a problem on its own to shut down production; but I think being "different" but not being original was a cause of weak sales.

When noting that Polaris is no longer making motorcycles under the Victory brand name we should note that they are still making Indians.
Which has been increasing sales numbers and market share for the last several years.
With the Victory Octane and the Indian Scout being basically the same bike in 2016. The decision to manufacture and market only one brand probably has more to do with inter-company competition than fiscal "failure".
Bu$aboy79 likes this.

2012 Voyager 1700 ---SOLD
Pearl Alpine White/Pearl Luster Beige
Nice

2011 Rocket III Touring
Phantom Black
Naughty

2014 FJR1300A
Deep Red Metallic

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 08:37 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
I do think a lot of the Victory brand was cannibalized by Indian. There's a crowd out there that wouldn't touch a Harley-Davidson if it was free and came with a mansion on a private island off the west coast (I'm not one of those people; there's almost no motorcycle out there I wouldn't accept and ride happily for free; heck, you can keep the mansion! If I were independently wealthy there'd be a couple of Harley's in my garage; but they've yet to build a bike that's my "first choice", not yet anyway) Some buy metrics but, some got scooped up by Victory's great anti-Harley marketing. Much of it pure bull, but effective. Now there's something that has the styling they want, is comfortably "not Harley", but is still an American-made brand that you can buy all the logo-stitched jackets and novelty neon-light garage clocks you want. Have your cake and eat it too.

Which makes me wonder if Victory was never as genuinely popular as it was. Maybe it's loyal customers were actually willing to jump ship as soon as there was a genuine alternative.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post

Oh, it's totally harsh. True, but harsh. They failed to produce a profitable motorcycle, they failed to capture much of the American V-Twin market, they failed to do survive. And if you look at the Victory forums, they've shot themselves in the foot when it comes to brand loyalty. But I have no doubt that Polaris is going to concentrate on their copy of the Indian to try to compete now.

It sucks that people are losing jobs, though.

"I taught your boyfriend that thing you like . . . "

Vulcan 900 Classic

Harley Davidson Road King (103")
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode