V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure

Anyone have experience with this bike? I currently own a 2007 Vulcan Custom. However I commute 80 miles per day on the highway at 80 mph. I like the bike but it has limitations obviously.

I really like the do everything mentality that the V-Strom brings to the table and at a really nice price point. I m looking for a bike that:

Can cruise on the highway at 80 mph all day.
Is comfortable two up and with gear.
Low maintenance
Low cost

I feel like the strom checks all of these boxes but I've never ridden one. Please chime in with your experiences.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 05:55 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2015 Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700cc
Color: metalic carbon grey
Garage
I have a friend with a 1000 versys. I think its kawis version of the vstrom. that bike can handle 80mph all day, any day, but riding 2up might be a bit crowded and over loaded. how big is your vulcan?

2015 vaquero ABS SE {carbon grey}
12in. windshield
cobra slipons
kuryakin longhorn cruise pegs
sagebrush sddlebag chaps
oem aux lights
grasshoper driver backrest
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 12:10 AM

Based on a requirement of lots of highway miles and low maintenance, I think you owe it to yourself to look at a Yamaha Super tenere... does everything the vstrom does, but lower maintenance due to valve check intervals being almost twice as long (24k vs 14k) and it has shaft drive, so no chain cleaning or lubing. Go anywhere, do anything, kick arse and take names kind of a bike. It is a big boy but that makes it good on the highway.

I own a vstrom 650, never rode the 1000 yet. Mine works well for my daily 10 mile (each way) commute, and short weekend trips with very limited off road. The vstrom 1000 would be better for longer trips, as it apparently has better weather protection, but still, I think the Super tenere beats both for what you want to do.

2012 Suzuki Vstrom 650
2007 Victory Hammer

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 12:47 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2012 VN900LT
Displacement/CC's: 903
Color: Black/Silver
Garage
After owning a Versys 650 for about a year, I would definitely want to steer clear of any bike with a chain. It's not too bad to clean and lube; however, it is messy! In order to do it right, you will need a rear wheel stand; otherwise, you'll be pushing the bike a bit, then lube, push it a bit again, and lube some more. If that doesn't bother you, be my guest, go get a chain-driven bike.

Personally, I'd just upgrade your cruiser to a bigger one. I know Kawasaki takes a big jump from 900 to the 1700; but there are other brands of bikes with engines inbetween that range. The Honda Interstate has a 1300cc engine and is the LT version of that line. You should be able to find used versions for less than 10 grand easily with low miles. Plus, they are shaft driven. Most of the Yammy cruisers are air-cooled and belt-driven and they also have a 1300cc bike. I don't know much about Suzuki's, though. Although, it seems anytime I am up for a trade-in, Kawasaki is the brand I land on. I had a Honda VTX 1300C once, awesome bike.

Last edited by crazyriderguy; 04-03-2016 at 12:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode