what is a bikes soul - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
View Poll Results: What is a bikes Soul
“Soul” is another way to express personal preference. 14 63.64%
“Soul” is a unique attribute that only some bikes can have. 5 22.73%
This topic makes me feel uncomfortable and this thread should be closed. 3 13.64%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
what is a bikes soul

I've got a few observations and questions.

I've been confused by the attitudes toward motorcycle manufacturers since I started riding.
There is more insecurity and derision concerning brands in the motorcycle market than any other.

Now that I’m on forums for different brands; I see some important variation in the attitudes.

So, what is “Soul” when talking about the BRAND of a bike?

I understand that having an “un-quantifiable” attachment or desire to own a certain bike. (I feel that way about my Rocket III).

Is “Soul” more than a personal preference?

My “un-quantifiable” attachment to my Rocket is founded in real attributes but; for me it becomes more than the sum of the parts.
However; it is my personal preference and does not diminish the pros or cons of any other bike on the market.
And it doesn't spread to all bikes by the same manufacturer.

On this forum; I hear that metrics don’t have “soul” from time to time. This sounds like insecurity to me.
I find it interesting that "Soul" can be found in an entire line up of some manufacturers and completely absent from others.
I attribute it, in this forum, to the extra derision that the Japanese manufactures seem to receive.
My Euro Mfg forum doesn't seem to have the same insecurity. Nobody talks about “Soul” like it’s something more than a personal love for your own bike.

My thoughts are that it often serves as an easy transference of blame.
Someone has an “un-quantifiable” desire to own a certain bike/brand. For whatever reason (usually cost) they buy something else.
The bike never had a chance to fill that desire, but human nature prevents the buyer from accepting the responsibility of making a poor decision.
The buyer shifts blame to the bike.
They dis-proportionally weigh cons and justify their dissatisfaction by trying to quantify a personal preference by calling it “Soul”.

I could care less what others ride.
But!!! If your hearts not in it; don’t buy it!
You’ll regret it and we’ll regret hearing about it.

But I am still curious about why there is so much emotional drama concerning motorcycle brands.

So for this poll:

A. “Soul” is another way to express personal preference and is only valid to the individual or group who holds that preference.

B. “Soul” is a unique attribute that only some bikes can have. Some people just can’t tell which bikes have it.

C. This topic makes me feel uncomfortable and this thread should be closed.

2012 Voyager 1700 ---SOLD
Pearl Alpine White/Pearl Luster Beige
Nice

2011 Rocket III Touring
Phantom Black
Naughty

2014 FJR1300A
Deep Red Metallic

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 06:39 PM
WEG

My bike might have a "Soul" ??

That's the best news I've heard all Winter. If my bike has or if I can buy an after-market "soul" for it, then when I'm dead I can still ride around. I just got to be sure we both end up in the same place. Hmmm... That might be a problem.

Scott, I see you have covered your bets by having two bikes. A "naughty" one and a "nice" one. Good thinking! I'm going to look around for some old scoot ridden by a 1%'er! That should cover the "naughty", and keep the 1700 Classic "nice" as a stock bike should be.

Boy, I'm glad you posted this survey. I'll sleep much better now.
Next task is to see if I can find a couple of after-market souls for the bikes just in case they weren't standard equipment. And we know Kawasaki's optional "soul" would be way overpriced.

Oh Spring needs to get here soon...😢

WEG
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 06:47 PM
wocka, wocka, wocka

who needs soles, when you got heart?

sit,, youda know'd this was comin.. the only sole any my bikes are gott the ones under the shoes.. now to think on it thems soles often are top of the shoes, then front, then unner, then back.. wth this whole sole thing is making me hungry.

but now heart. all my beasty bikes got heart. some are big thumpers. some are lil thumpers. butt they pump out a nice toon rollin down the hiway to heaven. kinda puts you in a zen state of mind.. who needs soles when you got heart? jus sayin, poncho

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 08:43 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic
Displacement/CC's: 903
Color: Silver
Garage
Well all I know is my heart is thumping and my soul feels good when I look down and see that speedo hovering 90.

"As long as I have the voices in my head I'm never alone."

2006 Vulcan 900 classic
Mustang Day Tripper seat
Cobra Light Bar
Cobra Air Scoop
Cobra short sissy bar
Baron's front and rear pulley
Baron's Big and Nasty pipes
Leatherlyke hard bags
Blue Superbrites LED accent lights
Chrome Woo Loo Air Horn
Avon Grips
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 08:55 PM

It's the lil shiny thingy down by the flapper.

'08 1500 Classic
'06 Honda Silverwing 600
'05 750 Vulcan (gone)
'02 800 Intruder (gone)
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 09:47 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
I think its (A), kinda like falling in love as a teen, unlikely will last a life time, but you feel strongly about it at the time, and swear its something you can physically feel. Guess it can be called personality also.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2005 800 classic
2012 Voyager ABS
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
WEG
I think you might be funnin.
But, if you really having a hard time reading between the lines.
I think the idea that some bikes have soul and others don't is BS that insecure people use to justify a preference.

My curiosity is genuine though. I'm really hoping to get input why some people believe their preference should hold a special title like "Soul".

I will admit that it was peaked in a current thread where a poster was asking advice about buying a Vaquero.

Thread link.
Vaquero guys!

Scott

PS, just make sure that 1%s bike you pick up has "BALLS" enough hold a title like "naughty".

2012 Voyager 1700 ---SOLD
Pearl Alpine White/Pearl Luster Beige
Nice

2011 Rocket III Touring
Phantom Black
Naughty

2014 FJR1300A
Deep Red Metallic

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
I'm not really concerned about whether or not someone else thinks my bike has "Soul" because I bought it to ride.

It's just human nature. Maybe an evolutionary trait passed down from early ancestors to make us stick with our decisions. When the sabertooth tiger is chasing us we need to have the confidence to commit to going "That way" because turning or slowing down will get us killed. Now we have the same sort of committed "The decision I made was right" mentality that goes to the point of being abrasive to others. Car brands, oil, motorcycle brands, you name it. Everyone has their favorite and anyone who does different is simply wrong. And, frankly, it's pretty silly. But then it seems so obvious we're right; we don't entertain the notion that it's also obvious someone else is right.

Personally I don't get the attachment. I drive a Mustang so I'm supposed to hate Camaros right? Except I think they are really cool. And I'm supposed to hate Harley's I guess? I use synthetic oil, does that mean I'm supposed to rag on guys who use discount bulk conventional oil from wally world? Nah, I just don't get it.

For ME; a Bike's "soul" is it's fit. If you ignore brands and other silliness and just go hop on a few bikes and ride them there's bound to be that one that's just "it". It fits right, feels right, rides the way you want it to; everything about it is just right. But if you think it also must be right for everyone else and anyone who says different is an idiot; well, then, you've lost it's soul! Remember the first time you hopped on it? That bike is just for you!

Chances are, if someone is telling you only H-D has soul, they are referring to their brilliant marketing. H-D is like Apple in that regard. Convincing the world that they are the yardstick by which the rest are measured; regardless of whether their product is actually any better (in fact, often in spite of). And borrowing technologies here and there whilst claiming to be the first. So in other words, it's not the bike at all. It's the sound, style, and "image" associated with the machine. And hey, if that floats your boat, go for it. What's the difference, really, between a $20,000 motorcycle that you just bought because it has a certain 'image', and buying a $20,000 piece of jewelry for the exact same purpose. Except you'll get a lot more fun out of the Harley; I say go for it. But that's kind of wrapping up why someone told you that metrics don't have 'soul'. Because IF you're going to buy a bike solely to slap an image on yourself or to connect yourself to some sort of faux-fraternity, then it's gotta be a Harley. Slap a bumper sticker and license plate frame on your pickup truck, put a "Harley Parking Only" sign in your garage and have a ball. Frankly, the only people who buy metrics, are folks who bought what they wanted to ride not what they wanted people to see them ride; or folks who couldn't afford what they really wanted. I fall into the former category and, in a way, the latter (not that I can't afford it, necessarily; but I don't want to spend that much). I like Harley's but at this point I've never ridden one I liked nearly enough to justify paying a lot more for.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Last edited by Romans5.8; 03-12-2015 at 10:24 AM.
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 10:59 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2005 vulcan 2000
Displacement/CC's: 2000
Color: Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
I'm not really concerned about whether or not someone else thinks my bike has "Soul" because I bought it to ride.

It's just human nature. Maybe an evolutionary trait passed down from early ancestors to make us stick with our decisions. When the sabertooth tiger is chasing us we need to have the confidence to commit to going "That way" because turning or slowing down will get us killed. Now we have the same sort of committed "The decision I made was right" mentality that goes to the point of being abrasive to others. Car brands, oil, motorcycle brands, you name it. Everyone has their favorite and anyone who does different is simply wrong. And, frankly, it's pretty silly. But then it seems so obvious we're right; we don't entertain the notion that it's also obvious someone else is right.

Personally I don't get the attachment. I drive a Mustang so I'm supposed to hate Camaros right? Except I think they are really cool. And I'm supposed to hate Harley's I guess? I use synthetic oil, does that mean I'm supposed to rag on guys who use discount bulk conventional oil from wally world? Nah, I just don't get it.

For ME; a Bike's "soul" is it's fit. If you ignore brands and other silliness and just go hop on a few bikes and ride them there's bound to be that one that's just "it". It fits right, feels right, rides the way you want it to; everything about it is just right. But if you think it also must be right for everyone else and anyone who says different is an idiot; well, then, you've lost it's soul! Remember the first time you hopped on it? That bike is just for you!

Chances are, if someone is telling you only H-D has soul, they are referring to their brilliant marketing. H-D is like Apple in that regard. Convincing the world that they are the yardstick by which the rest are measured; regardless of whether their product is actually any better (in fact, often in spite of). And borrowing technologies here and there whilst claiming to be the first. So in other words, it's not the bike at all. It's the sound, style, and "image" associated with the machine. And hey, if that floats your boat, go for it. What's the difference, really, between a $20,000 motorcycle that you just bought because it has a certain 'image', and buying a $20,000 piece of jewelry for the exact same purpose. Except you'll get a lot more fun out of the Harley; I say go for it. But that's kind of wrapping up why someone told you that metrics don't have 'soul'. Because IF you're going to buy a bike solely to slap an image on yourself or to connect yourself to some sort of faux-fraternity, then it's gotta be a Harley. Slap a bumper sticker and license plate frame on your pickup truck, put a "Harley Parking Only" sign in your garage and have a ball. Frankly, the only people who buy metrics, are folks who bought what they wanted to ride not what they wanted people to see them ride; or folks who couldn't afford what they really wanted. I fall into the former category and, in a way, the latter (not that I can't afford it, necessarily; but I don't want to spend that much). I like Harley's but at this point I've never ridden one I liked nearly enough to justify paying a lot more for.
just had to defend against a slight on facebook when i said i would never buy a vulcan 2000 again, it a great bike, I love them but goldwing valkyries, victory visions and cross countrys, and roadliners could do it for me too, not gonna have blind loyalty to a brand, as far as a soul my last vulcan 2000 i was in love with it, we had many magical rides until the crash, I love my current one, but feeling after i make her mine with sadlebags, easy brackets, highway bars etc, maybe i will love her like i did dirty diana

2005 KAWASAKI VULCAN 2000 A2
VANCE AND HINES POWERSHOTS EXHAUST
COBRA FI2000 TRIPOT EFI
THUNDER TORNADO AIR INTAKE
K&N AIR FILTER
TSUKAYU STRONGS LEATHER HARD BAGS
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 11:03 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2005 vulcan 2000
Displacement/CC's: 2000
Color: Blue
"Frankly, the only people who buy metrics, are folks who bought what they wanted to ride not what they wanted people to see them ride; or folks who couldn't afford what they really wanted. I fall into the former category and, in a way, the latter (not that I can't afford it, necessarily; but I don't want to spend that much). I like Harley's but at this point I've never ridden one I liked nearly enough to justify paying a lot more for."

One of the best statements ever.

2005 KAWASAKI VULCAN 2000 A2
VANCE AND HINES POWERSHOTS EXHAUST
COBRA FI2000 TRIPOT EFI
THUNDER TORNADO AIR INTAKE
K&N AIR FILTER
TSUKAYU STRONGS LEATHER HARD BAGS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode