what is a bikes soul - Page 3 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
View Poll Results: What is a bikes Soul
“Soul” is another way to express personal preference. 14 63.64%
“Soul” is a unique attribute that only some bikes can have. 5 22.73%
This topic makes me feel uncomfortable and this thread should be closed. 3 13.64%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 08:40 AM
wocka, wocka, wocka

Soul? Heart? Character? what is the source?

all our machines are nothing more than a hunk of machined metal and other nonferrous materials.. the only Soul, Heart and Character they possess is that which we give them.. in essence as lady_Z stated we endue them with these attributes over time and experience.. these attributes are OUR own. the machines we spend so much time, money, attention or lack of are nothing more than an extension of our selves. it is OUR soul, heart and character that we either come to love or hate.. hmm,, reminds me of some folks I invested too much time with.?

As for the Mfg being the enduer of these attributes is about as much real as yor deist vs atheist analogy. If you believe it, well then its true.. for you. thats about as far as that argument should go.

the connection point is the seat of yor pants (lowest chakra?) and the amount of time quality of experiences you n yor machine spend together. ponchout

Last edited by Poncho Villa; 03-13-2015 at 08:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 04:53 PM
BOTM Winner
August 2015

I feel all motorcycles possess their own soul (or character as some put it). It is just a matter of whether you as the rider (owner) can put yourself in touch with it. But then I feel the same way about automobiles having lived my life in the car hobby. Pickup trucks are another "mine is better than yours" in my neck of the woods. Like it has been said, everyone has their own personal preferences and some enjoy the banter of which is THE brand to have. Some don't. Some are just comfortable with what choice they have made. I always say if you are two wheels I am happy for you. Enjoy yourself.
post #23 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish View Post
Ahhh, all this "soul" stuff is way over my head. I prefer "character", then the brand thing might can come into play. But a used bike can really take on the 'character' of its owner just like an automobile can. That's tangible, something I can grasp.
We might be getting closer.

Character could be it.

But, I've always understood when someone is talking about character associated with brand; they are talking about a certain sound and vibration that's produced with an unbalanced engine.

Sound and vibration aren't very un-definable; in fact they are very definable.

I don't mean to pick on Goldwings, they are great for what they are built to do.
Riding a Goldwind and leaning it into a curve is pretty cool, they lean well.
But, when you pass the apex and start to straighten it back up rolling on the throttle for that G-force assistance; the Goldwing lacks "character".
There is plenty of power but it's a smooth and quite six cylinder.
A V-twin starts barking and pulsing.

I understand that kind of character.
Maybe that is what people mean when they say some bikes have soul and others don't.
But, it would be clearer to say "That bike has a sound and vibration that I like".

Now, character that comes from use by a particular owner makes sense too. But, then a new bike would never have it.
So, I think that's right out.

Thanks redfish,

Scott

2012 Voyager 1700 ---SOLD
Pearl Alpine White/Pearl Luster Beige
Nice

2011 Rocket III Touring
Phantom Black
Naughty

2014 FJR1300A
Deep Red Metallic

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do

post #24 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho Villa View Post
all our machines are nothing more than a hunk of machined metal and other nonferrous materials.. the only Soul, Heart and Character they possess is that which we give them.. in essence as lady_Z stated we endue them with these attributes over time and experience.. these attributes are OUR own. the machines we spend so much time, money, attention or lack of are nothing more than an extension of our selves. it is OUR soul, heart and character that we either come to love or hate.. hmm,, reminds me of some folks I invested too much time with.?

As for the Mfg being the enduer of these attributes is about as much real as yor deist vs atheist analogy. If you believe it, well then its true.. for you. thats about as far as that argument should go.

the connection point is the seat of yor pants (lowest chakra?) and the amount of time quality of experiences you n yor machine spend together. ponchout
You're making too much sense here Ponch.
"extension of our selves"
"...our own...attributes..."

So maybe it's a metaphysical connection to an inanimate object where we project a piece of ourselves into the bike.
We like ourselves.
We think we are exceptional.
We want others to like us and think we are exceptional.
If they don't...there's something wrong with them.

Plausible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho Villa View Post
If you believe it, well then its true.. for you.
thats about as far as that argument should go.
Sorry, but I got to go farther.

Are you saying there is more than a casual link between the phrase "drinking the koolaid" when someone is brand blind and those people who "drank" the koolaid in Georgetown? True believers, willing martyrs, sheep following a shepard?

Scott

Nice

2011 Rocket III Touring
Phantom Black
Naughty

2014 FJR1300A
Deep Red Metallic

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do
post #25 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH_Z View Post

One's definition of "soul" can be very different from another's. If you're a deist, your definition won't be the same as that of an atheist. But, if a motorcycle has a soul, it comes with it from the manufacturer.
In the regards of motorcycles (not theology); are some definitions more valid than others?

If it comes from the manufacturer; is it engineered into the bike?
Is it built in by the assembly workers, like love in grandma's cookies?

Could it be a devotion of community thing?
Where the "body of consumers" show devotion to the manufacturer and each other in a way that it seems to have a life of it's own?

I think if we could come up with a valid definition, we could identify where a soul comes from....or maybe the other way around. I'm not sure.

Scott

Nice

2011 Rocket III Touring
Phantom Black
Naughty

2014 FJR1300A
Deep Red Metallic

Last edited by Scott_in_TX; 03-13-2015 at 07:03 PM.
post #26 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 02:18 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_in_TX View Post
In the regards of motorcycles (not theology); are some definitions more valid than others?
Well, I think that depends on the perspective of the person(s) defining the term! Good question!

Quote:
If it comes from the manufacturer; is it engineered into the bike?
Is it built in by the assembly workers, like love in grandma's cookies?
I think that if a motorcycle does have a soul, and it comes from the manufacturer, I think it would have to be a combination of the two. If it's engineered, then perhaps the engineers had an idea for the motorcycle's use. Perhaps they tried to design the motorcycle with a particular rider in mind, and attempted to build on a legacy of some sort. It's possible, I suppose, that the assembly workers tried to impart a soul into the finished product. But, hopefully, they just made sure that the bolts were torqued to the correct spec, and the crank runout was within tolerances. LOL!

Quote:
Could it be a devotion of community thing?
Where the "body of consumers" show devotion to the manufacturer and each other in a way that it seems to have a life of it's own?
I think that there is definitely some of that at play. I know that I love both my Vulcan and my Road King. And, I know that the vast majority of the users on this forum can appreciate and relate to my love for my Vulcan, while simultaneously despising my love for my Road King. At the same time, when I'm around friends that love HDs, those people share my love for my Road King, and can't understand why I would ever ride a metric bike.

At the end of the day, it's similar to my Atheist friends not understanding or appreciating my belief in a higher power. Equally, many of my religious friends can't understand how I could be in a relationship with an Atheist.

Quote:
I think if we could come up with a valid definition, we could identify where a soul comes from....or maybe the other way around. I'm not sure.
I would love to hear more opinions on this!!

"I taught your boyfriend that thing you like . . . "

Vulcan 900 Classic

Harley Davidson Road King (103")
post #27 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH_Z View Post
I think that there is definitely some of that at play. I know that I love both my Vulcan and my Road King. And, I know that the vast majority of the users on this forum can appreciate and relate to my love for my Vulcan, while simultaneously despising my love for my Road King. At the same time, when I'm around friends that love HDs, those people share my love for my Road King, and can't understand why I would ever ride a metric bike.
That despising thing is what troubles me.

I understand how we can develop a fondness to our machines that's deeper than say, a toaster. I don't really get how people can be so devoted to a product that they mold it into every part of their life and personality.
But to each their own, right.

But to despise someone for enjoying a different product doesn't seem very "evolved". Oh hell; I hope I didn't just stir the pot.

Scott

Nice

2011 Rocket III Touring
Phantom Black
Naughty

2014 FJR1300A
Deep Red Metallic

post #28 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 11:25 AM
WEG

Quote:

I understand how we can develop a fondness to our machines that's deeper than say, a toaster. I don't really get how people can be so devoted to a product that they mold it into every part of their life and personality.
But to each their own, right.u

But to despise someone for enjoying a different product doesn't seem very "evolved". Oh hell; I hope I didn't just stir the pot.

Scott
How much different is that to despising someone because of their ethnicity/race/religion? Hateful people are hateful people...for whatever reasons.

I need another coffee and need this friggen snow to leave so I can get back on the hot noisy fast exhilarating steel between my legs ��. It's really all about that...

WEG

Last edited by WEG; 03-14-2015 at 11:28 AM.
post #29 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 12:07 PM
Top Contributor

The "Soul" of a bike is in the mind of the individual owner...........
post #30 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 12:18 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:

Oh, that's very easy to understand for me, and I believe that it happens to some people more that others. Take me, for example - I'm a HUGE Steelers fan. It's a huge part of who I am, and it is part of what defines me. I mean, where I come from in PA, that's only natural! But, some people couldn't care less about sports. And, many of those people would also say, "I don't really get how people can be so devoted to a product that they mold it into every part of their life and personality".

But, it's the same concept, and maybe even easier with motorcycles. I mean, yes, you're emotionally invested in your favorite sports team. But with your motorcycle, you're also financially invested. You're also touching it, feeling it, and trusting your life with it. You're trusting that the wheel bearings won't fail when you're doing 65 in a curve on the freeway. You're trusting that the charging system won't leave you stranded 300 miles from home on a Sunday afternoon. You're trusting that the engine isn't going start leaking oil halfway to Nevada somewhere when you're on vacation.

Every time you successfully complete a ride (whether it's down the block to the store, or down the coast to Daytona), your trust in that machine is reaffirmed. And, over time, you begin to become devoted to it!

Quote:
LMFAO - well, of course you did! LOL!!!

Listen, motorcycle "enthusiasts" come in a lot of different forms. Some of them are very loyal to ONE brand. Some love a few brands. Still others aren't loyal to any brand, but hate some more than others.

Now, there's one brand that's often "targeted" - especially on this forum. Harley has a lot of REALLY die-hard fans. And, I have no problem with that. Some people really DO have a problem with that, though. Do you remember Big Worm? The guy that hated Lloyd, Me, Harley Davidson, and I'm pretty sure sunshine and America? LOL! That guy DESPISED anything and anybody even remotely related to HD.

Now, if you had a Harley Davidson once and had a bad experience, then I can understand you not liking it. But simply to hate it because it's the cool thing to do . . . well . . . that makes somebody silly. LOL!! Yet, it happens daily around here!

"Hey, man! I got a new air filter! Think I can outrun my friend's Harley now?"

or

"I need to paint 'KAWASAKI' all over my bike so nobody gets me confused with a Harley Rider!".

And, those zealots are on both sides of the fence, no doubt! And they're just as stupid, no matter what side they're on!

"I taught your boyfriend that thing you like . . . "

Vulcan 900 Classic

Harley Davidson Road King (103")
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode