what is a bikes soul - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
View Poll Results: What is a bikes Soul
“Soul” is another way to express personal preference. 14 63.64%
“Soul” is a unique attribute that only some bikes can have. 5 22.73%
This topic makes me feel uncomfortable and this thread should be closed. 3 13.64%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 11:41 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
I like the answers by Ponch and Romans.
That being said, IMHO, to me a soul refers to a living breathing person or animal. I know we have souls, not sure about the critters. Just like a bike does not have a heart in the traditional or physical sense. Bikes of course have oil pumps and oil is the life blood of the bike. So there is yet another contradiction to consider or muddy the water so to speak.

What I consider to be the heart or maybe the soul of my bike is also partially the feeling I get each time I ride knowing my bike will get me from point a to point B reliably and safely. I also am comfortable jumping on my bike and just hitting the highway as long as I keep an eye on the gas. Day or night alone or with others, I have no concerns about my bike mechanically. Yes things happen on the road, but sometimes it is our fault and sometimes not. My bike is not blazing fast, but I feel it has enough torque and power to tow another bike if one breaks down on the highway, rather than ride 30 miles or so to town call someone and ride back. I carry extra gear to make sure we all get to town and can wait at a safer place.

Sometimes I feel others come up with a new buzz word or phrase trying to signify they and their bike are better than mine or others. That to me is an insecurity issue for them, not me. We all ride for the freedom and the enjoyment, period. Lastly, regardless of the "badge" or brand if I encounter a bike on the side of the road I will stop to check on folks and offer whatever meager assistance I may be able to provide, be it gas or a jump or a phone or even a slow ride (tow) to the next town. I do not feel I am better than anyone else. I am merely me wishing we could all get along and enjoy our time on 2 wheels.

06 1500 Classic FI (Anniversary Edition)
Reward the truth, punish the liars...Ted Nugent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 11:42 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Scott,

I cannot answer your poll as the answer I feel fits is not up there, sorry.

post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 12:21 PM
wocka, wocka, wocka

if it looks like a duck... shoot it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Scott, I cannot answer your poll as the answer I feel fits is not up there, sorry.
watt is the answer?... then, watt was the question?..
thumpity, thump, thump, thumpity, thump, thump, thumpity, thump, thump, thumpity, thump, thump, thumpity, thump,,, yeah its got a heart beat.

post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Scott,

I cannot answer your poll as the answer I feel fits is not up there, sorry.
I'm sure I don't know the answer either.

Just a couple of guesses.

2012 Voyager 1700 ---SOLD
Pearl Alpine White/Pearl Luster Beige
Nice

2011 Rocket III Touring
Phantom Black
Naughty

2014 FJR1300A
Deep Red Metallic

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho Villa View Post
watt is the answer?... then, watt was the question?..
thumpity, thump, thump, thumpity, thump, thump, thumpity, thump, thump, thumpity, thump, thump, thumpity, thump,,, yeah its got a heart beat.
Now you're just trying to confuse things.
I'll never figure it out at this rate.

2012 Voyager 1700 ---SOLD
Pearl Alpine White/Pearl Luster Beige
Nice

2011 Rocket III Touring
Phantom Black
Naughty

2014 FJR1300A
Deep Red Metallic

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do
post #16 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 03:03 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
OK, FINE!!!!!! “Soul” is a unique attribute that only some bikes can have.
Why is it that only "some" bikes can have this soul you speak of???
"B" is the closest answer, but I figger ALL bikes have a heart or soul or some point where the rider and bike become one, and not in a weird transformer kinda way Ponch. Nyah.

post #17 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 04:24 PM
wocka, wocka, wocka

Quote:
at some point where the rider and bike become one, .
jd,, seat O pants. Nyah.
post #18 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 06:17 PM
WEG

OK, now I'm really confused... The answer isn't in the list, Scott doesn't know the answer, Rms38 would rather have a Hardley but they cost too much, Punchie thinks his new bike is a rabbit and goes "Thump thump thump" like the rabbit with Bambi, dean just made it worse by giving up and yelling at us...

And I can't find that "little shiny thing" that might be it! And no matter where I look even eBay, you can't find a motorcycle soul or heart. Even on a Goldwings which has everything you ever thought of that could be stuck on a moving object! Expresso anyone?

I figure it's all about throwing a leg over a mass of hot steel and tickle' all the senses at the same time. Woo Hoo! ��

(Still funnin, Scott)

WEG
post #19 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 07:39 PM
Top Contributor

Ahhh, all this "soul" stuff is way over my head. I prefer "character", then the brand thing might can come into play. But a used bike can really take on the 'character' of its owner just like an automobile can. That's tangible, something I can grasp.

Quote:
My bike is not blazing fast, but I feel it has enough torque and power to tow another bike if one breaks down on the highway, rather than ride 30 miles or so to town call someone and ride back.
Dean, you mentioned this twice. Have you actually ever done that or seen it done? I'm really curious as to how that would be done. I've pulled and been pulled in autos many times and the key is brake control which might be a little touchy on two wheels. You carry rope with you? And where would you hook onto a bike?

I hope I didn't misunderstand your statement. Like one of our member's signature states; "Better to be a fool for 5 minutes than the rest........"
post #20 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 09:22 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish View Post
Ahhh, all this "soul" stuff is way over my head. I prefer "character", then the brand thing might can come into play. But a used bike can really take on the 'character' of its owner just like an automobile can. That's tangible, something I can grasp.
I've read all of the replies, and couldn't quite find the word I was looking for - but I think it's "character".

One's definition of "soul" can be very different from another's. If you're a deist, your definition won't be the same as that of an atheist. But, if a motorcycle has a soul, it comes with it from the manufacturer.

But, the character of that motorcycle . . . the personality of that motorcycle . . it comes with time and experiences. What roads have your motorcycle seen and ridden? Who has ridden with you? What have you learned while riding her? Has your motorcycle seen you love, seen you make love, slept beside you? Have you been angry while riding her? Have you been stormed on? Ridden when the temperatures were below 30 and above 100? Have you cared for her, maintained her, and sometimes abused her? Who are the people your motorcycle has been near?

A motorcycle's character grows on the highway, and a brand-new motorcycle has as much character as the "biker" that has barely ridden out of the state.

"I taught your boyfriend that thing you like . . . "

Vulcan 900 Classic

Harley Davidson Road King (103")
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode