Changed from Rotella t-6 Synthetic to Amsoil 10-40 Synthetic - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Changed from Rotella t-6 Synthetic to Amsoil 10-40 Synthetic

Well, as most of you regulars are probably aware, I was running Rotella 5-40 syn in the nine since new. It ran great. I had always used Amsoil in my bikes with great success, but the price point got too high for me when I switched to a cruiser. Then came my birthday. It seems my wife picked up on my SLIGHT apprehension using the Rotella and presented me with 4 liters of Amsoil syn and a hiflo filter (that I know nothing about). Happy birthday lmao.
Now, the 900 ran fine with the Rotella, smooth as silk in fact, but I am curious if the Amsoil will do the following.
1. Quiet my third gear whine (it's not the belt).
2. Quiet the KAWI-TICK that I still get when the bike gets hot and I do a re-start.
Other than those two complaints that are inherent to the bike, I love the nine.
The Rotella definitely made the bike run smoother and cooler. The fan barely came on while using the Rotella, prior to my change, the fan was almost constantly on using dino. After 3000k I noticed the bike getting a little harder to shift, I think the Rotella needs to be changed frequently although the data that I have read suggests it holds it's own well past 5000k.
Anyways, I'll keep you guys apprised of any and all pros and cons between Amsoil and Rotella.
Regards, S.H.
P.S. I researched Rotella to death before I ran it......I know ALL the pros and cons including some wise comments from Bob the Amsoil guy. This will be an un-scientific analysis. A seat of the pants comparison if you will.

2009 VN900 Classic LT.
Nova Scotia, Canada.
Cobra luggage rack.
Kuryakyn Grand Tourer luggage bag.
Kuryakyn air filter cover.
170/80/15 Metzler rear tire.
Fire and Ice passenger floorboards.
Stage 2 debaffle (screens left intact).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 03:26 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
the oil might hold its own... but i have noticed minor shifting 'quirks' after the oil heats up. like slipping into N instead of 2nd or not going to 1st when stopping. also it seemed that i had to change the amount of throttle i gave it when shifting because i would get jerks when shifting after riding for a while?!?!

maybe it's just me...

'02 Drifter 1500
... just an awesome ride!

'08 Custom-ized
Candy Lime Green
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 04:37 PM

maybe it's just me, but i prefer to change my bike oil at 3,000miles. personally i don't see how on a car 4-stroke engine it should be changed at 3,000, but on a bike suddenly it's ok to change it later.

on the other hand, i play with all my toys like i stole them, so i make sure that i'm very strict on my maintenance. and so far i can honestly say that i've never had an engine failure except when i blew them up by doing things that i shouldn't have been doing (1/4" of mud and water inside 2 cylinders is never good for a motor. makes things go CLICK CLICK BOOOM).
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 07:24 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio_vette View Post
maybe it's just me, but i prefer to change my bike oil at 3,000miles. personally i don't see how on a car 4-stroke engine it should be changed at 3,000, but on a bike suddenly it's ok to change it later.
What's the last car you looked at that showed a 3k mile oil change interval under the regular maintenance schedule? Most everything I've driven in the past 10 years or so is significantly greater than that. All my vehicles get oil changes at 5k miles, and the lowest mileage vehicle I own is above 150k miles. The Ranger (closest thing I've got to a daily driver outside of the Vulcan) is over 235.

'99 Vulcan 500, 29k miles
http://www.fuelly.com/sig-us/28917.png
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastpakr View Post
What's the last car you looked at that showed a 3k mile oil change interval under the regular maintenance schedule? Most everything I've driven in the past 10 years or so is significantly greater than that. All my vehicles get oil changes at 5k miles, and the lowest mileage vehicle I own is above 150k miles. The Ranger (closest thing I've got to a daily driver outside of the Vulcan) is over 235.
well, when i was a mechanic at the chevy dealership back in early 2000, everything was tagged at 3,000 miles, from the cavalier to the corvette with mobil 1 synthetic.

as far as vehicles that i've owned, i've owned roughly 10 different cars/trucks in the last 10 years, and out of those, the newest one was a 1997. i try not to get vehicles newer than 1996 when it comes to cars. i try to stay away from as much bullshit electronics and failure parts as possible. perhaps it's because i was/am a mechanic and tired of working on all this cheap shit electronic gadgetry nowadays, or because the less parts there are to fail, the cheaper the vehicle is to own.

only reason i own newer bikes is because (until the vulcan) they were still simple and had nearly no electronics and used carburetors which are cheaper to modify than fuel injection. still not sure how happy i am about buying this new fuel injected vulcan. just hoping i won't regret it.

so i guess perhaps they've changed the maintenance interval in the last 10years on cars, but i do remember that several of the cars i worked on before i left the dealership were starting to come out with a oil change light that actually calculated oil change based on how the car was driven, how long it was running, etc..etc.. so it might come on sooner or later depending on usage of the vehicle.

and as i mentioned earlier, i use all my vehicles VERY HARD and play with them like there is no tomorrow, so i also do the maintenance just as aggressively.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 09:48 PM
Top Contributor

Ehhh...changing oil is highly overrated... of course change intervals by dealers and oil companies are 3k miles. They make twice as much money off you as when you change at 5 or 6K. I don't think OEM has required 3K changes since the 60s or 70s.

Last edited by whoaru99; 08-05-2010 at 09:50 PM.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 09:30 AM
Top Contributor

Had an old retired ( GM ) buddy wanted to see how long it would take to trash his engine on his Chevy PU so he never changed his oil, once a year he would change the filter and add a quart or so and always kept it topped off > it was still runnin strong at 125,000 miles.. He spent years telling me the suggested oil change mileage was all hype and created huge profits for the manufactures and oil companies.... Ask the next truck driver you see how often they change their oil it will surprise you , just sayin....

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote <Ben Franklin?>

2008 V2K
Gone to the Darkside
Hard Krome 2-1
Power Commander
Custom Paint
Wheels, Forks,Rotors,Calipers all polished

2008 V900 Customized By ROAR
2-1 Exhaust
Baron Big Air
Scootworks Pulleys
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

I've gotten quite a few im's asking for my opinion after the switch. Here goes.
1. I found the Rotella (syn) quite smooth up untill 3000k, then it appeared to get quite clunky.
2. Rotella is not suitable for winter storage, it lacks the anti-rust inhibitors that OUR trannies need for storage.

1. Amsoil, quite smooth with no apparent degradation after 4000k, bike is still smooth and shifts fine.
2. Amsoil apparently can withstand winter storage without having to be changed (Bob might chime in here if he's around). Basically I'm gonna store the bike with the current Amsoil in it.....and next spring I'll swap it out.

Conclusion, Both oils worked the same initially, and, a great improvement over conventional dino. The Rotella, after 3k, was done. The Amsoil after 3k felt like I just put it in yesterday. Neither quieted the "kawi-tick".....or the/my third gear whine. Both made shifting easier and less clunky.
On a side note, my bike won't WON'T tolerate premium gas. The Kawi-tick" was significantly reduced staying with regular gas. All along I thought oil might "cure" it....imagine my surprise when after trial and error I discovered it was the anti-knock properties of premium it didn't like. We all like to occationally run the "best" gas in our bikes. It's a guy thing. In the 900's case, the "best" gas is regular. Funny thing is????getting it ready for winter I decided to fill with premium, somehow clinging to the myth that higher octane gas was best....and the damn "tick" came right back....loud as can be.....when will I learn. Anyways, there u have it. By no means a scientific analysis. Just real life/seat of the pants experiences.
Regards, SH.

2009 VN900 Classic LT.
Nova Scotia, Canada.
Cobra luggage rack.
Kuryakyn Grand Tourer luggage bag.
Kuryakyn air filter cover.
170/80/15 Metzler rear tire.
Fire and Ice passenger floorboards.
Stage 2 debaffle (screens left intact).
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 09:59 AM

Garage
Iv'e been using Amsoil in my bike almost exclusively for the last 24K and the reason for it is mainly I'm lazy and don't want to change it at 3000 miles I'd rather go 6000 miles. I haven't shopped a lot for regular oil but it seemed that I remember an oil change costing me about $25.00 and with Amsoil it is about twice that but I don't have to worry about changing it all the time. 3000 miles goes by fast these days. The engine is certainly quieter with regular oil in it but that hasn't bothered me and I now have 34K on her. As a side to this the 1st year the dealer did all of the services for me and I never got out of that shop without spending less than $150.00 So doing it myself I have no problem justifying the expense of Synthetic.

'06 Vulcan900 Classic Candy Fire Red
Memphis Shades w/quik Disconnect
Cobra Sissy Bar and Rack
Lindby Multi bar with Kury Silver Bullets
Kawi Light Bar w/55watt bulbs
Kury PowerPoint
Kury Brake Light Kit
ISO-Grips W/Throttle Boss
VistaCruise Throttle lock
LeatherLyke Hard Bags
Pirelli MT66 W/Dynabeads
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 10:38 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyVN900 View Post
The engine is certainly quieter with regular oil in it
That's interesting. I've been running Amsoil in my 900 LT and was wondering if dino oil would quiet the engine. I'd rather change oil more often if I could get a nice noise reduction. Can you put a percentage on the noise difference that you noticed?

thanks

2010 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode