Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

sea foam

15K views 36 replies 26 participants last post by  xchox 
#1 ·
recently i read a post about a rider that put 2oz of sea foam in at oil change. I was wondring if this was with new oil or just before change to free up gunk.

#2 ·
Just before changing the oil. It's not a lubricant. It dilutes the oil and will break the "gunk", if any, is present in the crankcase. I'd not run it too long with the SeaFoam in there. Certain not crank it very hard.

#4 ·
I was just wondering. I have noticed more lifter noise only 1000 miles after oil change. I have read some about the "screens", but wondered how the real riders of the V2k did things. Keep in mind I have only owned this scoot for 4 weeks. I am used to ninja's and CBR's. In my opinion this is an entirely different animal.

#8 ·
I have to wonder how Seafoam can tell the difference between the anti-wear additives that are included in the original oil formulation, from the gunk that is dripping off the inside of the engine?
it probly reads the label on the container b4 it attacks those molecules.? hey, you asked. poncho

#7 ·
THE CLEANSING AGENTS

Sea foam is an outstanding product in all applications! (AS A CLEANER AND MAINTAINER)..Fuel systems, gas or diesel, engines,(crankcase cleanse),transmissions,(same) sticking spools in valve bodies and torque converters that are sludged,,,,,,,and manual trans with or without synchros... ITS A CLEEEEEANSER! NOT A PERMANENT FIXER! to be used within reason prior to service of that volume of oil to be changed.....

Handy as hell for those who chose not to service their equipment as needed,,, to eliminate a noise or what not to sell it or trade it off.......Sometimes works, sometimes nope....

But used regularly, can and will help in all of the above in the long run if you keep your vehicles for the miles I do..... My Vulcan is the only one I own under 100k miles......The rest are still running strong, due to REGULAR maintenance....(with sea foam)

Ive used it for years in ALL my vehicles year around...

ALSO, It kicks Stabil in the nuts for gas storage over the winter months, lawnmowers, weed wakers, chain saws etc.....

Just sayin

Reactions: CaptainMorgan
#11 ·
Sea foam is an outstanding product in all applications!

Just sayin
1. 2 oz. in the battery makes the starter spin faster.
2. 2 oz. in the radiator makes the engine run cooler.
3. 2 oz. in the master cylinder makes the pads last longer.
4. 2 oz. on the hand grips makes them warmer in the winter.
5. 2 oz. on my kickstand makes it swing down quicker.
6. 2 oz. on the floor makes my dog sick.

Did I miss anything?

#17 ·
I do regular maintenance on my cars and bikes. Change oil every 3,000 miles or sooner. Never used any snake oil and never have any trouble.
I do put fuel injector cleaner in my car after every oil change but nothing in the bike. Most motorcycle manufacturers warn against adding anything to the fuel due to it might weaken the rubber fuel lines.

#19 · (Edited)
'Most motorcycle manufacturers warn against adding anything to the fuel due to it might weaken the rubber fuel lines.'

Not rubber these days, but neoprene.

#21 ·
yeah seen that on the counter, dipping sauce at Charlie's bait n sushi shop.

#22 ·
Jokes are genuinely funny, especially the list concluding with "Did I miss any thing?".

However, I am one of the faithful users of it...Add to gas tank every month or so. use a couple of ounces in the crankcase of new-to-me used bikes on at least the first oil change...I also use Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner in the gas and Stabil for stored gasoline..

Another However: I believe that if I change both oil and filter every 2000 miles, which for me is when oil is just starting to turn amber, then I don't need to worry about the crankcase gunking up very much if any.

Bob

#25 ·
I too have been using Seafoam for several years in both cars and bikes.
There are many "products" like Seafoam but I have had good luck with it
and will remain using it.
I pop about 3 ounces into the gas about every 6 or 8 fill ups and it helps reduce
a lot of build up in the throttle body and helps keeps things clean.
When I think about it I do pop in about 2 or 3 ounces into the oil just
before a change out and run it about 75 to 100 miles then dump the oil.
On my Nomad I could tell the difference in the performance if I went
too long without a fix of Seafoam.

#26 ·
I like Seafoam as well as Chevron techron fuel system cleaners...old timers used to use kerosene added to gast tank of car or just fed into carb without air cleaner attached...the latter smoked like all get out..

Just heard of BG 44K today on another forum...Very expensive but has good reviews.

Good to use non ethanol gas if available too. I am skeptical, however.. there are two non ethanol stations in my area....How do I know they are telling the truth?

#28 · (Edited)
Seafoam and Startron are both pretty useful to combat ethanol issues. While they won't eliminate all the negatives of ethanol they do prevent it from drawing water in the tank due to phase separation. They make pretty good winterizers as fuel stabilizers too (Startron specifies a 2 year shelf life of treated fuel). Over the winter I fill the tank to the brim and add a bit of either one, and drain the carbs. As far as cleaning goes a fellow on youtube got out a fiber optic camera to test out Seafoam's claims, and he was able to show reductions in carbon deposits when used as the bottle directs.

I wouldn't bother running either of them in every tank if you have ethanol free gas (only two stations around here sell ethanol free, and one of them is premium blend only), but if you do they may be useful as inexpensive preventative maintenance. Definitely use them for winterization of the fuel. Definitely use them if you have reason to believe there is excessive carbon build up. I can't say I have experience with using Seafoam in the oil, but given their other claims seem to hold up I'd tend to believe it works as advertised. They really don't market this stuff as if it's a mechanic in a can, but they do list specific things it will do.

I was also impressed with Ride-On (run flat tire-sealant), there was also a youtube video done for it's claims, and they held up.

Snake-oil? Nah, just a few products that do what they say. Anything past that I'd attribute to over-zealous users making dramatic claims... ala WD-40 and duct tape.

#29 ·
Seafoam? I like it. I don't get to ride as much as I used to, so I like to use Seafoam in the tank when I'm at home. In my Tiger, I get a 10% mileage increase when using it. On a long ride, when I fill up the first time I see 44mpg, but throughout the day, as I fill up a couple more times, that goes down to 40mpg, since I'm not adding any while I'm on the road. Not much mileage difference in the XT, but it's hard to get a consistent mileage anyway since I ride that thing ragged sometimes. I'm guessing if I used it as a commuter I would see a difference. Not concerned about mileage on the 70, but I did soak its carb in Seafoam and now it runs significantly better.

Never put any in the oil but I may try that in the future.

#32 ·
It is a cost effective alternitive.

#36 ·
I believe Seafoam and other cleaners are good if you have a poorly maintained bike. If you run top tier gas and good synthetic oil changed at a reasonable interval cleaners should not be needed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.