Balancing Beads - Page 5 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 11:35 PM
Senior Member
 
Comanche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 346
Garage
Just noticed this post and I sell Counteract Balancing Beads with my usual bike services. Some of you already know they work so for those who doubt I can give you the right information so you can see for yourself. It is recommended that if you have weights to remove those and then install the beads. This is just to discourage those thinking of trying to use both with the faulty logic that using both is the best option.

It ain't about where you live; it's about how you live. So, ride to live, Bruh.

Last edited by Comanche; 11-16-2012 at 11:40 PM.
Comanche is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #42 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012, 01:24 PM
Top Contributor
 
R-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Idaho
Posts: 684
I noticed my old post, that I would post back. I have about 5,000 miles on the tires now with the beads and they have worked great. My tires have tubes, no problems have surfaced and the tires ride very smooth and appear to be wearing fine.

2004 Vulcan Classic 1500 - carbed
Grips, Freeway pegs, engine guard
Floorboards, Nomad rear seat,
Custom made luggage rack, Windshield & Lowers
Saddlebags, Passenger floorboards,
Passenger armrests
R-man is offline  
post #43 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012, 06:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Comanche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 346
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by R-man View Post
I noticed my old post, that I would post back. I have about 5,000 miles on the tires now with the beads and they have worked great. My tires have tubes, no problems have surfaced and the tires ride very smooth and appear to be wearing fine.
R-Man, glad all is well and they DO WORK! There is a special coating on Counteract Beads that allow them to stay in place longer and better than the other beads on the market once the wheel gets balanced. Ride safe.

It ain't about where you live; it's about how you live. So, ride to live, Bruh.
Comanche is offline  
post #44 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012, 07:17 PM
Top Contributor
 
R-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Idaho
Posts: 684
Comanche, how are they for getting through the valve stem when you put them in the tire or tube ?

2004 Vulcan Classic 1500 - carbed
Grips, Freeway pegs, engine guard
Floorboards, Nomad rear seat,
Custom made luggage rack, Windshield & Lowers
Saddlebags, Passenger floorboards,
Passenger armrests
R-man is offline  
post #45 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 11:10 AM
Senior Member
 
1barron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Boyne City MI
Posts: 429
Hi I have two questions; Does using the beads effect the tire warranty, How much do they cost? I currently have Metzler 880s on my 07 Mean Streak.

1600 Mean Streak

“Not all those who wander are lost.” Tolkien
1barron is offline  
post #46 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 01:33 PM
Senior Member
 
Comanche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 346
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1barron View Post
Hi I have two questions; Does using the beads effect the tire warranty, How much do they cost? I currently have Metzler 880s on my 07 Mean Streak.
@1Barron: Some tire manufacturers are old-fashioned and out of touch when it comes to weight balancing so in those cases they will void the warranty for just about anything except looking at your tires so just check first to ensure they will not void your warranty. The operative word here is "SOME" and not ALL.

However, all major motorcycle tire manufacturers only mention references to liquid sealants used inside of tires for voiding their warranties and millions of people use the beads. Just check with your particular tire manufacturer or retailer about using Counteract or Dyna Beads in your tires but chances are in your favor that they will still honor the warranty if you use this dual dynamic-static balancing system.

Please NOTE that Counteract or Dyna Beads are NOT recommended for use in track/race tires. The inner liner on those tires is softer and subject to scrubbing wear from the beads particularly with the hard braking that is done during corner entries.

As for cost it averages around $40 standard for a bike (install included) at my shop and goes up from there depending on how much is used or needed. The cost is based on the size of a tire so the larger the tire, having a trike setup or darkside setup will use and cost more.

It costs about the same if you do it yourself and isn't hard to do but the beads are what cost you whether you do it yourself or buy from a dealer like me. However, if you have weights currently in place it will require their removal prior to bead conversion since you can NOT use both balancing systems. I also give extremely competitive pricing based on a person's area dealers but all dealers are required to start at a set retail price mandated by the company and the only additional charges would be labor or extra materials used above that if needed.

@R-Man: There is a relatively inexpensive small clear plastic bottle that is available for purchase and it can be reused indefinitely for future use. It has a long nosed inverse conical shaped tip for inserting the beads into the valve stem and it's very easy to install the beads. A relatively inexpensive special filtering type valve stem is then used in place of the ordinary stem since the new valve stem merely retains the beads inside of the tire. The old valve would get clogged with beads if you keep it in place. You do not have to repurchase and replace the special stem every time you use beads in the future unless it is damaged similar to the normal valves in use that fail and need replacement.

To check pressures simply ensure the stem is at least anywhere from 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock position and tap the stem to ensure all beads drop out of the stem area. Once you install the beads they will no longer be visible. They do make a low almost imperceptible sound when you first install and then ride to balance your tires but after that you shouldn't be able to hear them. If you leave a vehicle or bike sitting for a long amount of time the static charge that retains them in place inside of the tire will dissipate and all one has to do is drive the vehicle or bike again to rebalance. Once the beads are in place they are designed to stay in place due to static cling.

It ain't about where you live; it's about how you live. So, ride to live, Bruh.

Last edited by Comanche; 11-18-2012 at 01:48 PM.
Comanche is offline  
post #47 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 05:05 PM
Senior Member
 
1barron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Boyne City MI
Posts: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanche View Post
@1Barron: Some tire manufacturers are old-fashioned and out of touch when it comes to weight balancing so in those cases they will void the warranty for just about anything except looking at your tires so just check first to ensure they will not void your warranty. The operative word here is "SOME" and not ALL.

However, all major motorcycle tire manufacturers only mention references to liquid sealants used inside of tires for voiding their warranties and millions of people use the beads. Just check with your particular tire manufacturer or retailer about using Counteract or Dyna Beads in your tires but chances are in your favor that they will still honor the warranty if you use this dual dynamic-static balancing system.

Please NOTE that Counteract or Dyna Beads are NOT recommended for use in track/race tires. The inner liner on those tires is softer and subject to scrubbing wear from the beads particularly with the hard braking that is done during corner entries.

As for cost it averages around $40 standard for a bike (install included) at my shop and goes up from there depending on how much is used or needed. The cost is based on the size of a tire so the larger the tire, having a trike setup or darkside setup will use and cost more.

It costs about the same if you do it yourself and isn't hard to do but the beads are what cost you whether you do it yourself or buy from a dealer like me. However, if you have weights currently in place it will require their removal prior to bead conversion since you can NOT use both balancing systems. I also give extremely competitive pricing based on a person's area dealers but all dealers are required to start at a set retail price mandated by the company and the only additional charges would be labor or extra materials used above that if needed.

@R-Man: There is a relatively inexpensive small clear plastic bottle that is available for purchase and it can be reused indefinitely for future use. It has a long nosed inverse conical shaped tip for inserting the beads into the valve stem and it's very easy to install the beads. A relatively inexpensive special filtering type valve stem is then used in place of the ordinary stem since the new valve stem merely retains the beads inside of the tire. The old valve would get clogged with beads if you keep it in place. You do not have to repurchase and replace the special stem every time you use beads in the future unless it is damaged similar to the normal valves in use that fail and need replacement.

To check pressures simply ensure the stem is at least anywhere from 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock position and tap the stem to ensure all beads drop out of the stem area. Once you install the beads they will no longer be visible. They do make a low almost imperceptible sound when you first install and then ride to balance your tires but after that you shouldn't be able to hear them. If you leave a vehicle or bike sitting for a long amount of time the static charge that retains them in place inside of the tire will dissipate and all one has to do is drive the vehicle or bike again to rebalance. Once the beads are in place they are designed to stay in place due to static cling.
Humm that sounds like I will have to break the tire to replace the valve stem?

1600 Mean Streak

“Not all those who wander are lost.” Tolkien
1barron is offline  
post #48 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 08:39 PM
Top Contributor
 
R-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Idaho
Posts: 684
Got it on the static charge holding them in place. I didn't know that - thought it must be some sort of semi-liquid or something and thought it would be hard getting it to flow thru the valve stem. Makes sense now.

2004 Vulcan Classic 1500 - carbed
Grips, Freeway pegs, engine guard
Floorboards, Nomad rear seat,
Custom made luggage rack, Windshield & Lowers
Saddlebags, Passenger floorboards,
Passenger armrests
R-man is offline  
post #49 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 09:43 PM
Senior Member
 
Comanche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 346
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1barron View Post
Humm that sounds like I will have to break the tire to replace the valve stem?
1Barron, you don't even have to "break" the tire to install the new special filtering stem. All you do is remove and replace like a regular stem so it makes conversion really fast and easy.

Please NOTE that this is a "DRY-BASED" balancing system so NO LIQUID SEALANTS OF ANY KIND ARE USED or the beads will just clump and NOT work. Therefore, if a person already has liquid sealants inside of their tires they will have to clean them out thoroughly and thus requiring you to "break" the tire.

It ain't about where you live; it's about how you live. So, ride to live, Bruh.

Last edited by Comanche; 11-19-2012 at 09:46 PM.
Comanche is offline  
post #50 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 09:48 PM
Senior Member
 
Comanche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 346
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by R-man View Post
Got it on the static charge holding them in place. I didn't know that - thought it must be some sort of semi-liquid or something and thought it would be hard getting it to flow thru the valve stem. Makes sense now.
R-Man, you are right; it is easy. Just pour the beads in slowly and by the recommended amount for the size of tires you have. There are set amounts in ounces per tire. A full installation kit (per tire) includes the beads, bottle and filtering stem.

It ain't about where you live; it's about how you live. So, ride to live, Bruh.
Comanche is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome