Front Tire Wear Results from VN2000 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Send a message via Skype™ to drasm22
Front Tire Wear Results from VN2000

Just finished mounting a new Avon Cobra 150/80/16 front tire on my 2008 VN2000 Classic LT. It starts life with 10,003 miles on the odometer.

I bought the bike new in 2010 with 1.1 miles and wearing a set of Bridgestone Battlax shoes. At 4, 378 miles, the rear tire had to replaced; it was done. I replaced the front tire at the same time because it was cupping so badly.

After much research, I mounted a 205/60/16 General car tire on the back and a 150/80/16 Metz 880 up front. The General is wearing superbly; virtually no signs of wear. A package of Dyna Beads is keeping it balanced. The Metz wore evenly as well (Dyna Beads too) but I'm disappointed that it only lasted ~5,500 miles. I don't ride it hard but you wouldn't think so by looking at the tire. I've ridden on Metzler's for years and never had this kind of wear. The only thing I can attribute it to is the heaviness of the bike and the chip sealed roads common in my area.

This is my first Avon tire and I'm interested to see how well it performs. It's installed with a bottle of "ride-on" tire sealant / balancing goo which after fifteen miles feels just fine. Anyone else have experience riding on Avon's and/or long term experience with the sealant?
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 09:40 AM
Top Contributor
It'll be interesting to know the result, but I'm sorta a killjoy on tires. If the style/type of tire, bike, or driving style isn't significantly changed neither is the tire life.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 08:48 AM
Lifetime Premium
I have see guys with V2Ks get 8 or 9 k out of a set of tires. My guess is it's more to do with riding style (acceleration, braking and cornering) and tire inflation than the bike itself.

04 1500 Classic
Mustang Seat
Sissy bar, luggage rack,
light bar, 2" risers,
Isogrips, Fatbar crashbars,
offset hiway pegs, tank bib,
passenger floorboards,
new brake pedal, throttle lock,
Cobra Lowboy Shotgun pipes,
Baron's Big Air relocated right side,
tombstone tail light,forkbag,
detachable hard leather bags,
alarm, power port, clock,
and a cool cupholder
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 08:51 AM
Top Contributor
I went to Avon Cobras from the OEM Bridgestones. Back tire only gets a couple thousand miles more, but the front has 13,000 miles on it and has more to go!!

2006 V2K Classic LT Black/Chrome
Lots of chrome goodies, sagebrush engine guard chaps for cold days in Manitoba, Rumble Road speakers, Garmin gps, tank bib, modified seat, Ohlins rear shock - best investment ever!!, locking saddlebags, Kuryakyn luggage, brake-away cruise control, and more stuff every year.
Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode