Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Pls help me understand load rating

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  D-Dub 
#1 · (Edited)
Is the load rating per tire or for the entire load (bike, riders, gear, etc.)? I have never worried about it before but maybe I should.

For example: I just bought a Dunlop Elite 3 front tire for my Voyager, it is rated for 805 lbs. Am I screwed because the bike alone weighs more than that? Or am I okay because I will not put that much weight on the front axle?

I have searched both the Web and this forum but cannot find a clear answer.

Thank you for your help.

#4 · (Edited)
A little more info about load capacity.

The load rating of the tire, separately or combined, will be different than the load rating of the bike. It's like a chain that's only as strong as it's weakest link. The springs, axle, frame, etc. etc. etc. all have to be considered. The bike's manufacturer (Kawasaki in this case) will state the minimum load rating needed for the front and rear tire separately to ensure the maximum capacity for the bike. IE: My nomad manual says that with the proper load rated tires my total load capacity is 397#. That includes rider, passenger, baggage and accessories over and above the stock weight of the bike. It goes further to state that load capacity-wise separately, the front shouldn't exceed 397# and the rear 215-397#.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.