Tire pressure - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Tire pressure

I have a 2005 Vulcan 1500 FI with wire wheels. I put Metzeler 880 Marathons on and discovered a "bulging" in the middle of the tire after 12,000 kilometers (approx. 8.000 miles) Metzeler's web site recommended front tire pressure of 38 psi front and 40 psi for the back tire. My Kawasaki manual recommends 28 psi for the front (which came with Bridgestone tires) but the dealers have said that's way too low. So now I've reduced the front to 32 psi (dealer recommended) does anyone have any idea what the right pressure should be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 07:45 PM

Garage
Well dang I am sad to see this I was going to put the Metzeler 880's on my bike but now I am haven second thoughts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 09:46 AM

Tire pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip R Laurin View Post
I have a 2005 Vulcan 1500 FI with wire wheels. I put Metzeler 880 Marathons on and discovered a "bulging" in the middle of the tire after 12,000 kilometers (approx. 8.000 miles) Metzeler's web site recommended front tire pressure of 38 psi front and 40 psi for the back tire. My Kawasaki manual recommends 28 psi for the front (which came with Bridgestone tires) but the dealers have said that's way too low. So now I've reduced the front to 32 psi (dealer recommended) does anyone have any idea what the right pressure should be?
I've experienced the same center of tread "bulging" on the front tires on my '09 1700 Nomad and '08 Yamaha FJR, both of which have Bridgestone tires. The bulge is caused by the center of the tread having a harder tread compound than the outside edges, therefore not wearing longer. Metzler is probably using the same multicompound tread, as are most other major tire manufacturers.

I think you meant to say you've increased the front psi from 28 (Kawasaki's spec) to 32, based on your dealer's advice. I'd be skeptical of any advice from a dealer that contradicts the factory recommendations, especially regarding tire pressures. 28 psi is the front tire psi spec for my 833 lb '09 Nomad and it handles just fine in all kinds of situations, including brisk cornering and carrying a passenger. Increasing air pressure above factory specs will probably have no significant effect on tread wear but it will change the handling of the bike. Be careful.

Last edited by SoloSgt; 08-29-2010 at 09:50 AM. Reason: change spelling, added underline
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricain View Post
Well dang I am sad to see this I was going to put the Metzeler 880's on my bike but now I am haven second thoughts.
I put Metz's on the front and back and really like them. Especially if you ever ride on a grooved road!

2002 1500 Vulcan Classic FI
Custom paint
Mustang Seat
Leatherlyke Saddle Bags
Kuryakan ISO Grips
Kuryakan highway pegs
Kuryakan driver & passenger floorboards
Kuryakan brake, toe and heel shift covers
Vance & Hines Longshots
Clearview Windshield
Shark 250w stereo system
San Marcos, TX
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 05:03 AM

I am aways 2up on my 1500 Classic and 1800 VTX , but run 40/40 with Bridgestones.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 08:19 AM

Smile Pressure!

I put met's 880's front and rear on my 02 Nomad.So far so good.I run 32 in the front and 40 in the rear.Thats what the manual says.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 11:58 AM

It's my understanding that the pressure rating on the side of your tires are the MAX PSI that you should use. I am having a hard time buying that we should use the "factory" psi ratings on a diff brand tire than origanally came on the bike. Why would you use bridgestone specs on a metzler (or any other brand) tire? after all aren't the factory specs for "bridgestone" tires since that is what they come from the factory with?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 03:54 PM

max on the bridgestone is 41 PSI. I just put one on the back a couple of days ago.

vn800a8
memphis shades windshield
custom luggage rack
kuryakyn flame grips
drilled pipes
debadged
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 08:35 PM

I just bought a vulcan classic1500 with 25000 kms and have gotten a speed wobble 3 out of the 5 last rides, original tire size with dunlop tourings, the front tire is 28 psi, should I increase the pressure or decrease the pressure, everything checks ok on the bike and it was ok before the new tires other than the old front tire had some cupping from balance maybe, help, Kauctious, thought this was the bike, getting spooked,
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 09:02 PM

pressure

The pressure info sticker is correct for any tire that goes on,not just the bridgestone.Thats there recommendation for the bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode