Nomad 1600 oil leak - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Nomad 1600 oil leak

I had a 2006 classic 1600 and I traded it off last year for a 2007 nomad 1600,because of an annoying oil leak under the engine near the front. Had it to dealer 3 times finally gave up and picked up 07 nomad. Now, yep you guessed it, another oil leak on new 07 nomad in approximately the same place. Oil appears to be coming our of lower engine compartment, can't see exactly where. Oil comes out near the kick stand. It is not coming from the shift shaft seal. Anyone got an idea?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 10:28 PM

Keeper,

Had the same problem. It is probably the oil seal for the clutch that has become un-seated. You will have to remove the foot pad, shifter, and chrome cover. Just slightly to the right and above the kickstand, you should see a circular chrome cover a little larger that a silver dollar. Remove it and you should find a small rod and a hard plastic oil seal. You can re-set the seal usuing a small deep well socket. I would strongly recommend replacing the seal, but by re-seating the old one should temporally stop the leak.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 06:05 PM

Ok, I'm replacing the seal in the clutch described in this thread. When done and all is back in place do you replace the clutch oil (brake fluid) at the reservior on the handle bar or at what appears to be the bleeder down where the seal is?
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 10:04 AM

Feed back please

Hows it going could you tell me if replacing this seal fixed your leak thanks
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 03:10 PM

BlackClassic, yes, replacing the seal did the trick (once I found it). If you haven't taken it apart yet the seal is behind the plunger that's in the component that you remove from the clutch housing. Refilling the reservoir and bleeding the line was no problem either. The service guy at my Kawasaki dealership said these seals need to be replaced about every 2 years. Seems odd to me.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 08:51 AM

Wow you guys really helped have a 2008 and 47000 on it and have had more than a few things go wrong,first front end steering bearing and the water pump and the radiator then clutch started slipping in upper gears,the I noticed a oil leak in the area you have spoke of and feel sure that will be the problem ,glad I bought a extended warranty. on my first vulcan 1600 classic 2003 just changed tires, no problems up until I handed it down to my son at 87,000 and he pushed it a little to hard. thanks again I really love this site.

Gabby
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode