help setting timing. - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
help setting timing.

ok this is a little off topic for here but we are working on a 06 Suzuki boulevard C50 with a 800CC FI motor. my friend ran it with no oil and blew the piston rings so we broke it down replaced the rings and put it back we cant get the damn thing timed right. the biggest problem was we had to many cooks in the kitchen. our main guy that is a certified mechanic wasnt there for the start of the break down and did not check the timing marks before the break down long story short. rookies started just pulling bolts and parts then me and him stepped n and wraped up the work.

so 1st time around we get it together try for a test fire and we only had fire in the front cylinder. the rear fired every 4th-6th rotation. and was a weak fire at that. it wouldn't even fire up. so we broke it down changed the timing a bit, put it back together 4 times now and the rear fires strong but now we have nothing in the front at all but a mist of gas vapors.

our manual said to set the cams arrows foreword on both cylinders when the timing marks said RT . that didnt work. so we rotated the motor 180 deg. and tryed again on the RT mark. still nothing. so we set the front cylinder to the FT mark thinking that meant front timing and the rear to RT thinking thats for rear timing. and thats were we are stuck we have strong fire in the rear but nothing in the front.

so my simple question. what is the FT stand for in the timing window and do any of you know how to explain how to do the timing in a short and simple way? our manual ( i think it was a hayns manual) gives no instructions at all other then saying both arrows on the cam gear need to be set foreword when the RT mark is in the timing window.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 10:41 AM
Top Contributor
I am going to talk generalities here. The flywheel should have two marks close together for the front cylinder and another two for the back cylinder. One of the two close marks will be TDC for that cylinder and the other will be firing mark for same.
To determine which mark is which, rotate the flywheel in the direction of normal rotation and the first mark the crankcase pointer comes to will be the firing mark, with the next one TDC. Cams are always timed to TDC. The same will apply to the other cylinder.

Is this what you have?
Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode